Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****, ****, Weed, Piss...off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭malinheader

Why do some people on here get so annoyed about the idea of that word being bleeped? Swearwords are regularly bleeped from songs, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of outcry. What is it about that particular word that you love so much?

If there that easy offended this will only be the start of there pc crusade. What's next . God knows. If it offends them so badly they shouldn't listen to it. Think the song will be spoilt if altered at all. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

https://youtu.be/t6dALp4VPU8

I'll just leave this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Let him debate the subject with Shane McGowan. Now that would be something worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Heckler wrote: »
    RTE routinely play Bell X1's "Rocky took a lover" which has the line "you're such an asshole when you're drunk". During the DAY. When CHILDREN can hear !

What if someone had an asshole that doesn't work ?? WHAT THEN ??

Precisely.

And what about all the actual assholes in the world? I dont mean people who act like assholes, I mean actual physical assholes. Its racism and discrimination against assholes on a pandemic scale and it needs to stop.

IT NEEDS TO STOP NOW GOD DAMMIT!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The late Philip Chevron who was in The Pogues was an openly gay man. In an era when being openly gay was a lot worse than it is now. He doesn't appear to have had a problem with the song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Why do some people on here get so annoyed about the idea of that word being bleeped? Swearwords are regularly bleeped from songs, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of outcry. What is it about that particular word that you love so much?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I hate words being bleeped from songs in general. For this song in particular I seriously doubt the word was interned to be offensive given the fact the band's guitarist was openly gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It absolutely was, and still is.

What the hell are you talking about?
    In the context of the song, it wasn't a gay slur.
    GMSA wrote: »
    Let him debate the subject with Shane McGowan. Now that would be something worth seeing.
    A statement from Shane McGowan was read on The Tonight Show on TV3 last night.

https://twitter.com/TonightVMT/status/1070820500950171648

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Deeply disappointed by Shane McGowens statement regarding this. I was hoping it would be more along the lines of:

Go **** off - Shane McGowen

Maybe along with a pic of him giving the finger. :pac:

Don't censor my **** for ****s sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Guess we also need to ban Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

In the context of the song, it wasn't a gay slur.

A statement from Shane McGowan was read on The Tonight Show on TV3 last night.

https://twitter.com/TonightVMT/status/1070820500950171648

My comment wasn't about the context of the song. My comment was in reply to someone claiming the word was never used as a slur against gay people in Ireland, which is frankly complete bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

This the clickbait media at it's worst. Some nobody complains about a song to try and get their names in the papers. Then the media outlets know that the "snowflake" and "PC brigade" crew will go mad over this so blow the story up into something bigger than it ever should have been. They blame the "lefties" and "snowflakes" for these stories without realising that they are being played by the media. A few years ago this story this story never would have got coverage but now there is such an appetite for "snowflake" hating stories, this type of thing gets more coverage than it ever deserved.

In reality, no one really wants the lyrics changed apart from a few media people trying to make a name for themselves, but the media outlets got their way and now everyone is talking about and reading about it, and buying newspaper stories about it. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I was in the company of a homosexual over the weekend when the song came on in a pub while a group of us were drinking heavily. He’s not a hysterical or moany sort, but did say that he finds that particular word offensive. It’s a slur, and isn’t one of these words that has the heat taken out of it by being accepted by the community or group it is meant to insult.

The song isn't about him though. The fictional character saying the word is not addressing him.

Are we to strive towards a point where all characters in fictional works are nice people who only ever say nice things about other people?

We have reached a strange point where the initial well-meaning drive towards tolerance over recent decades has yielded a brutal intolerance. I can't differentiate myself between such a spirit of intolerance and the spirit of the fatwah on Rushdie or the burning of books in Germany in the 30's. It comes from the same place. We need to be careful where we go here.

There's no way McGowan was coherent enough to make that statement..

There's no way McGowan was coherent enough to make that statement..

Just because the man has difficulty speaking doesn't mean he can't gather a thought you idiot.

A wordsmith who gave us the likes of a rainy night in soho etc etc and you think he can't string together a statement ?

Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Heckler wrote: »
    Deeply disappointed by Shane McGowens statement regarding this. I was hoping it would be more along the lines of:

Go **** off - Shane McGowen

Maybe along with a pic of him giving the finger. :pac:

Don't censor my **** for ****s sake.

I'd say his wife wrote the statement

vicwatson wrote: »
    I'd say his wife wrote the statement

Why ? I imagine Shane is well able to write his own thoughts. Maybe Stephen Hawking was just a puppet for someone too because he couldn't articulate himself .

Another idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

Great, another book burning.

I cant wait for 1648 to be over, 1649 should be much better. Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It absolutely was, and still is.

What the hell are you talking about?

In 1985?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

In 1985?

You don't think fåggot was a slur word for gay people in 1985? It definitely was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ronan keating started all this sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I find it strange how some words suddenly become 'offensive' or swear words and others don't. I think even Boards is based on American standards of what constitutes an offensive word. Over there you can happily say wanker on prime time television and no one bats an eyelid. They seem to think it's some funny word that posh English people use. "What-ho Queen Elizabeth could you **** me please?". I find it odd that I can type wanker with no problem but I have to get around the word shite being censored.

In 1985?

Yes, absolutely. It was used as an insult in the 60's for sure (often shortened to fag) and probably as far back as the 40's.

You don't think fot was a slur word for gay people in 1985? It definitely was.

In the US for sure.

In Ireland though?

In the US for sure.

In Ireland though?

Yeah, me and my friends and the people around us would have used the term with that meaning. I'd never ever heard the other meaning people are bandying about on here in relation to it.

Yes, absolutely. It was used as an insult in the 60's for sure (often shortened to fag) and probably as far back as the 40's.

I did a bit of research on it. It has been used as a slur for gay people in America since the start of the 1910s.

There's no real record of it being used in such a fashion in the UK and Ireland up until we began mimmicking all their BS with the rise of the internet.

I did a bit of research on it. It has been used as a slur for gay people in America since the start of the 1910s.

There's no real record of it being used in such a fashion in the UK and Ireland up until we began mimmicking all their BS with the rise of the internet.

I didn't realise we had the internet in the Midlands back in the mid eighties... I must have forgotten.

I didn't realise we had the internet in the Midlands back in the mid eighties... I must have forgotten.
    I'm not doubting you at all.

I grew up in the midlands too back in the 90s. I just don't remember it being as commonly used back then. Queer was the one you'd hear a lot as kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

qkAwwF3h.jpg

You bumbag, you caggot, you cheap lousy saggot.

Much better. Truly a song that everyone can enjoy now.

I mean, I was raised by a gay couple throughout the 1980's, and I've got to tell you. ****** was absolutely an insult in the 1980's.

I truly do not understand why you're arguing this. It was a commonly used homophobic slur in Ireland, just like queer and dyke etc.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 9 Yikes!

F aggot is just an insult, if it offendes you then put on your big boy pants and move on.

I watched Barfly the other night and there's a scene where Eddie the Barman calls Mickey Rourke a ******. I was so upset I was visibly shaking but then I remembered it's a movie about low class people and that's how low class people talk.

Advertisement