Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Patrol

Options
  • 25-10-2005 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

anyone have avi or mpeg files of this...80s on RTE 1

thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Love to see some too.
    you may need a translator

vay-hay-kal=car

all I remember was the crappy crimes being commited,
    10 chocolate bars were stolen from mrs o gradys shop. The raiders were 3 foot tall males in shorts, their mode of getaway was on a vay-hay-kal known as a raleigh burner. Do not approach these criminals, they may be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

They were talking about this on The Panel recently. Trying to explain it to someone foreign iirc. Was quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mohavichle!!!!!!

Man I wonder what they did with all that crap from Aladdin's Cave!!
    My bro used to work for a company that did the reconstuctions for Garda patrol They were trying to reconstruct a robbery and had great difficulty .. Grannies going past yelling "Ye should be ashamed of yerself robbing like that". People trying to stop the guys in balaclavas etc.

Okay .. guys .. CUT!!!
    Take 25

And keep those people trying to save the day off the set!!

He said it was a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Can you imagine it. "was last seen wearing brown cordurouy trousers and side burns and ran off in a veh-hic-le described as a blue Hillman Hunter with "R" plates driving in the direction of hackballs cross. The thieves got 3 betamax video recorders worth 700 pounds each and a number of 8 track car hifi units..." anyhow, retro crime flashback.
    Actually I remember hackballs cross getting a mention and sniggering as a 9 yr old while yerman was keeping a straight face describing something or other....

Reckon RTE should show it as "fillers" in between the programs instead of the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Ah the memories :D

BTW, what are "R" plates ?
    (Didn't have 'R' (i.e. new driver) plates in the Republic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

The vayhickle proceeded with a sum of money believed to be £85 in a notherly direction towards Mahon's field

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

that theme tune though...twas pretty fecking radical for the gardai circa 1981

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

The best thing was the way the Gardai presenting used to take it so personally, you'd swear it was their own gaff that had been done it.

They were nearly in tears talking about some awl ones antiques every week

Ohhh .. I used to love the showcases at the end. Especially the JCB bits!!

"And this is just in boss. Stolen from the Monesterevin area somewhere around midnight on 12/12/1985. Were you around this area, did you see anyone driving a lawnmower of this description .. if so, please contact the gardai now. This Lawnmower was of particular value to the owner"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

is this an older version crimeline? (which is hilarious btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

BeatTun wrote:
    is this an older version crimeline? (which is hilarious btw)

Kind of. Was the precursor to Crimeline, I guess. Used to be shown in a short spot after the 6 o' clock news, if I recall correctly, and basically had a typical "muck savage" guard sitting in front of a camera just reading out details of a number of crimes that they wanted help from the public in solving. As other's have suggested here, the crimes tended to mainly consist of things like angle grinders and drills stolen from building sites, consignments of Curly Whirlys from the storeroom at the back of O' Learys shop-cum-pub-cum funeral parlour in Sixmilebridge and "a nest of tables valued at about £120 from Mrs. Tess O' Dee in Graigecullen. This item is of particular sentimental value to Mrs. O' Dee and she is extremely upset at it's robbery". All that kind of thing. With witnesses usually reporting the culprits to have driven off in "a veh-hee-cal believed to be a brown 1977 Ford Granada" or "Austin Allegro" and the likes! :D

Thinking back on it now, it really was feckin' hilarious to watch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bambi wrote:
    that theme tune though...twas pretty fecking radical for the gardai circa 1981
    I always thought it was a Bodhran, but my memory was playing tricks on me when I recently saw the Vol.II of the Hall Pictorial Weekly DVD and they had a skit on the Garda Patrol of the time that featured the actual intro.

It actually sounds like someone banging an empty-oil drum in a wind tunnel to an accompanying sound of what I could only describe as someone lightly whipping a naked corpse.

As other's have suggested here, the crimes tended to mainly consist of things like angle grinders and drills stolen from building sites, consignments of Curly Whirlys from the storeroom at the back of O' Learys shop-cum-pub-cum funeral parlour in Sixmilebridge and "a nest of tables valued at about £120 from Mrs. Tess O' Dee in Graigecullen. This item is of particular sentimental value to Mrs. O' Dee and she is extremely upset at it's robbery". All that kind of thing. With witnesses usually reporting the culprits to have driven off in "a veh-hee-cal believed to be a brown 1977 Ford Granada" or "Austin Allegro" and the likes!

Ahhh haaaa haaaaa .. that depiction actually brought tears to my eyes, I laughed so much :) Nice one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

"We have reason to believe that the culprit gained access to the premises via the rear door which he penetrated using a blunt instrument"

Translation - He kicked in the back door :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Yeah,but crimecall has advanced not one whit."The alleged culprits are described as being 5 foot 3 inches to 6 feet in height wearing brown balaclavas,dark clothes and carrying what appeared to be a knife.They spoke with what was described as strong Dublin accents!" As if they habitually wear the balaclavas when going about thier business and people in dark clothing are exceptionally easy to recognise these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

Sorry to dig up an old thread but does anyone know where I could get an mp3 or something of the music from this show? Just for old times sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It was solely responsible for the development of Garda Speak. No longer was someone seen leaving the building, they were now 'vacating the premises'. :D

I still get a kick out of the Gards pronouncing vehicle - vahicle. Yes, they're probably correct, but they're the only people in the country who say it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

timmaii wrote:
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but does anyone know where I could get an mp3 or something of the music from this show? Just for old times sake!
    There's a skit of it on the Hall's Pictorial Weekly DVDs (can't remember if it was Vol.1 or Vol.2) that has the old title sequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I just remember the agony of sitting through it in anticipation of Top of the Pops.
    Even funnier was Mart and Market. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

God mart and market!! lol!! Garda Patrol was gas, real sterotypical gardaí...luukinn for putheeen in the wheest of cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Yeah i remember that programme used to cringe when some red necked culchie garda with huge ears came on in a thick country accent investigating the theft of a heffer from Tom Kellys farm in Abbeyleix and asked the public for their co-operation dear me Ireland back then (esp culchies) was extremly backward :rolleyes: :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Just watching a documentary on RTE about Irish music and what pops up only the theme for Garda Patrol aka 'The Morning Dew', played by the chieftains. The part they used on Garda Patrol between segments was a rhythmic clip consisting of 4 hits of a bodhran, 4 on bones and 4 on bodhran again, in rapid succession. There is a version here but it uses 2 bodhrans instead of bodhran and bones.

The graphics consisted of a blue light going round and round...Minimalism at its best!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Found the footage!! :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8k1d8uX9Gw

Live version is good too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEHmLC5xRsI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Just watching a documentary on RTE about Irish music and what pops up only the theme for Garda Patrol aka 'The Morning Dew', played by the chieftains. The part they used on Garda Patrol between segments was a rhythmic clip consisting of 4 hits of a bodhran, 4 on bones and 4 on bodhran again, in rapid succession. There is a version here but it uses 2 bodhrans instead of bodhran and bones.

The graphics consisted of a blue light going round and round...Minimalism at its best!

I am familiar with that linked piece of music, but I have to say it is emphatically NOT the theme to Garda Patrol. It may well have appeared as a theme to some other RTE production of the time though.

The Garda Patrol theme was quite different, it had the bodhrans all right, but not the pipes as they appear here, and a completely different tune, although as a percussion piece, I suppose it didn't have a 'tune' as such, at all. I would describe it more as a wooden spoon on an empty biscuit tin!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Gardai believe the culprits were probably high on Cider at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

paddyland wrote: »
    I am familiar with that linked piece of music, but I have to say it is emphatically NOT the theme to Garda Patrol. It may well have appeared as a theme to some other RTE production of the time though.

The Garda Patrol theme was quite different, it had the bodhrans all right, but not the pipes as they appear here, and a completely different tune, although as a percussion piece, I suppose it didn't have a 'tune' as such, at all. I would describe it more as a wooden spoon on an empty biscuit tin!

I don't know about the full theme tune, but the short music clips between segments consisting of the bodhran/bones/bodhran riff were definitely very heavily 'based' on, if not a version of that actual tune. The clips lasted only about 2 seconds and had a blue flashing light as the graphic.

I have one recorded and set as my text message alert...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

rubadub wrote: »
    Love to see some too.
    you may need a translator

vay-hay-kal=car

all I remember was the crappy crimes being commited,
    10 chocolate bars were stolen from mrs o gradys shop. The raiders were 3 foot tall males in shorts, their mode of getaway was on a vay-hay-kal known as a raleigh burner. Do not approach these criminals, they may be dangerous.

LOL, brings back memories! You forgot the other clasic ' in the vicinity of the area' = nearby and persons = people. Gardaspeak LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I used to be fascinated by the way when some particularly unusual or top-of-the-range item had been stolen they were able to tell us exactly how many ones there were like it in the country.

How did they know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Remember they used to show recovered stolen goods at the end of the show - brass ornaments and assorted ****e....

I was a kid when Garda Patrol was on TV and used to think - sure anyone could claim that stuff couldn't they - just describe what they saw on the telly.....

People used to take it very seriously though, the re-enactments of crimes, the dubious photo-fits etc.

It was like CSI in the 1980's..... sure we didnt know any better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I used to be fascinated by the way when some particularly unusual or top-of-the-range item had been stolen they were able to tell us exactly how many ones there were like it in the country. How did they know ?
    I'm guessing probably because there might have been only one distributor of the item in the country at the time, and that company could easily check their imports/stocks. Or if it was an unusual car they'd check the Vehicle Registrations database.

Advertisement