Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Patrol

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Loveless wrote:
    I'm guessing probably because there might have been only one distributor of the item in the country at the time, and that company could easily check their imports/stocks. Or if it was an unusual car they'd check the Vehicle Registrations database.

Database ! More like "big hand-written ledger" :D

There was a NI version of Garda Patrol on UTV called Police 6, only the crimes were a lot scarier!
    There were also "Notices to keyholders" on the NI channels: "Police have asked keyholders on Main Street to check their premises" ... That must have been fun :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I have vauge memories of a black Garda presenting it at one point .Was i imagining this or can anyone else verifiy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dudess wrote: »
    I just remember the agony of sitting through it in anticipation of Top of the Pops.
    Even funnier was Mart and Market. :D

fookin hell, was that on RTE 2 on sunday? An endless procession of heifers being led around a ring while some auctioneer spouted a stream of culchie gibberish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bambi wrote: »
    An endless procession of heifers being led around a ring while some auctioneer spouted a stream of culchie gibberish?
    Omg like... posts about Copper Face Jacks belong in the Dublin City forum... :rolleyes:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

I remember seeing a gardai patrol where they were looking for a house. A house had been stolen. Admittedly, it was a mobile house ( or, at least could be moved), but it was very big. Like 5 bedrooms. Wooden, as I recall. I was perplexed by how they got it away without being noticed.

I was contemplating if the house thieves were watching, and if so if they knew then game was then up ( Feck it Mary - half the country will see the damed house on TV, now!) - when, lo and behold at the end of the show, at the lost property section, there it was. The house.

It had turned up in Cavan. The presenters didn't reference the first part of the show, nor did they suggest it was the same house: they just mentioned, dead-pan, that a 5 bedroomed wooden house had turned up in Cavan, and would anyone have any idea of who owned it?

I wet myself laughing.

( it was clearly a joke? right?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I remember seeing a gardai patrol where they were looking for a house. A house had been stolen. Admittedly, it was a mobile house ( or, at least could be moved), but it was very big. Like 5 bedrooms. Wooden, as I recall. I was perplexed by how they got it away without being noticed.

I was contemplating if the house thieves were watching, and if so if they knew then game was then up ( Feck it Mary - half the country will see the damed house on TV, now!) - when, lo and behold at the end of the show, at the lost property section, there it was. The house.

It had turned up in Cavan. The presenters didn't reference the first part of the show, nor did they suggest it was the same house: they just mentioned, dead-pan, that a 5 bedroomed wooden house had turned up in Cavan, and would anyone have any idea of who owned it?
    Stuff like this makes life worthwhile. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah will ya leave the Gaurds alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

darkdubh wrote: »
    I have vauge memories of a black Garda presenting it at one point .Was i imagining this or can anyone else verifiy it?

Garda Token ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

surely someone out there has an episode of Garda Patrol on VHS, if so can they please upload it onto youtube for the craic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

this is true

there was a break in at a stable's in kildare last night a number of saddles were stolen
    we want to put a stop to there gallop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The arms of the presenter seemed to be glued to the desk, with one or two of them having this odd posture of the hands open and flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Carlo Showalter

I know this thread is quite old, but, with regard to the theme music from late 70's/early 80's Garda Patrol....

I still remember that opening/closing music; GP at that time was brief weekly bulletin which detailed various crimes committed around the country. It was a damn good piece of percussion music.

@humaxf1 Ever manage to get a copy of the 'Garda Patrol' theme?

@Bambi Agreed, it was a great piece of music, I'd love to hear it again.

@DublinWriter It sounded more like a bass drum rapidly pounded by two heavy drumsticks, you know, the ones with fur covers.

@timmaii It may be possible to obtain something from RTÉ directly, have a look here: https://www.rte.ie/archives/sales/

@Live at Three I don't recall the opening sequence, but I definitely remember the closing one; it was the drum pattern played for a very short time, maybe 10 - 15 seconds. The Garda shield was displayed on a blue background while the music played.

@Paddyland Agreed, it was defo not that Chieftans tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

@Live at Three I don't recall the opening sequence, but I definitely remember the closing one; it was the drum pattern played for a very short time, maybe 10 - 15 seconds. The Garda shield was displayed on a blue background while the music played.

drum pattern:mad: it was a bodhran begob

* please people look through your old vhs collection surely someone out there has it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Here you go. Audio only. I need a new DVD writer to rip the footage segment (40 seconds or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Here you go. Audio only. I need a new DVD writer to rip the footage segment (40 seconds or so)

..."even in lovely Killarney"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Carlo Showalter

@nlgbbbblth Thanks.

The percussion defo sounds like a drum. Too "tinny" for a bodhrán.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

very short sample of it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AAm2Av-58M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

very short sample of it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AAm2Av-58M

That's my upload mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Garda Patrol got a new theme tune and opening sequence in 1985.

At some point in the late 80's/early 90's it changed again.

I'd love to see the old opening sequence again proper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement