Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable bathroom extractor fan?

Options
  • 20-04-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

the extractor fan in the main bathroom is on it's way out. I reckon it's the bearings or motor (horrible screeching noise from it)

As we don't really use the main bathroom for baths or showers (have a pumped shower in en suite) I'm thinking of disconnecting it until I get it replaced.

It comes on with the bathroom light and is timed to stay on for a while after the light is switched off.

Rather than tackling the wiring at the light switch, I'm thinking maybe it would be easier and safer to pull the main fuse in the hall then drop the fan and disconnect or cut the power supply to it, then tape up any exposed wire.

Thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There should be an isolator local to the fan. Switch it off, simples :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

2011 wrote: »

That would be great. Any idea where it might be located and what it looks like?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That would be great. Any idea where it might be located and what it looks like?

Thanks.

It looks kind of like a light switch and is generally located close to the fan.

Not seeing anything obvious, unless it's tucked up in the ceiling :confused:

Hi again,

I'm unable to locate the isolator (if there's one fitted at all!!)
    It's a Manrose extractor fan, located in the ceiling.

The rumble is really starting to get on my nerves now and I'm also worried that it could become a fire hazard if it overheats.

Any advice regarding original question please?

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I advise not to switch it on.

You said id runs for a while after it is switched off

This means that there are two separate power supplies to this fan.

If you go at it I advise you switch off the entire power at your distribution board before carrying out the action you proposed, A job to be done with daylight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

In a modern installation. Plenty of fan wiring from the 1990s, 80s, 70s that would still be in use, even if the fan had been replaced many times since.

Most older installations would only have a light switch controlled live (and often a permanent live that can only be isolated by cutting the power at the MCB/fuse if they've an overrun timer) without any local isolation.

Don't work on this without isolating the power for the whole installation by flipping the MCB / removing the fuse.

Also note that in older bathroom wiring (and not very long ago i.e. probably most fans) would not be RCD protected - i.e. you're not protected against dangerous / potentially fatal shocks.

In a modern installation. Plenty of fan wiring from the 1990s, 80s, 70s that would still be in use, even if the fan had been replaced many times since.

True, but there is no suggestion of the age of the installation or the lack of an isolation switch in the OP :)
    Don't work on this without isolating the power for the whole installation by flipping the MCB / removing the fuse.

+1, better still get an electrician to look at this.
    Also note that in older bathroom wiring (and not very long ago i.e. probably most fans) would not be RCD protected - i.e. you're not protected against dangerous / potentially fatal shocks.

RCDs are great devices but only provide supplementary protection. They should never be relied on to protect against "dangerous / potentially fatal shocks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

Yeah but RCDs were added to lighting circuits in regulations largely to mitigate a risk of shock because of people coming into contact with live conductors, mostly while doing DIY work and also because of the exposed contacts in light fittings.

It always struck me as an unusual incongruity in all wiring regulations that we never really redesigned bulb common holders and allowed bare contacts that are fully finger touchable. While many of them are on the ceiling, they're also in table lamps and so on.

If you look in Europe for example, huge attention has been payed to making plug/socket systems progressively safer and safer. CEE 7 (Schuko/French system) and BS1363 the rectangular pin UK system that we use here all have finger protection with sheathes on pins or recessed sockets, while things like safety shutters are mandatory in the BS and French designs and some countries mandate them for Schuko too. However, we all still allowed two bare sprung pins or a live screw Edison screw bottle top type device to persist.

It's not like a new design couldn't have been dreamt up.

But yeah, while you can't 100% rely on any device, RCDs have most definitely played an extremely important role in fatal shock protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

Anything can happen in the home

Better to have the RCD protection for all final circuits

• Advertisement

Yeah but RCDs were added to lighting circuits in regulations largely to mitigate a risk of shock because of people coming into contact with live conductors, mostly while doing DIY work and also because of the exposed contacts in light fittings.

Yes, you are correct of course. I was just making the point that no device can definitely protect against shock / electrocution. It may seem that I am being pedantic saying this but it is surprising how many will assume this is the case.
    But yeah, while you can't 100% rely on any device, RCDs have most definitely played an extremely important role in fatal shock protection.

+1

Retro. wrote: »
    Anything can happen in the home

Better to have the RCD protection for all final circuits

Not everyone shares that view, otherwise it would be a regulation.
    Personally I believe that it would be far more beneficial to enforce the rules we have than make up new ones.

For every person that believes that every final circuit should be on an RCD the is someone that believes it should be taken further and every circuit should have AFDD fitted too :)

True, but there is no suggestion of the age of the installation or the lack of an isolation switch in the OP :)

We bought the house in 2005.
    As far as I know they were built early to mid 90's

Regarding not switching it on, this isn't really possible as after dark as we need lighting in the bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

Regarding not switching it on, this isn't really possible as after dark as we need lighting in the bathroom.

There should be an isolator to turn the fan off

Retro. wrote: »
    There should be an isolator to turn the fan off

I'm sure there should be, but I'm not finding anything resembling an isolator switch.

All I seem to have to work with is the fan itself and the light / fan switch on the wall outside the bathroom :confused:

If the leccy in these house builds is anything like the plumbing, I reckon the builders cut as many corners as possible :mad:

It's an estate with about 80 houses if that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

To OP
    I think your idea is good , as an interim step.

Just fully isolate power first.

You will then have the light working.

Separately , later deal with the fan issues

Advertisement