Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Dumbells Currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The set is 20kg. They advertise it as a set and that the weight is 20kg so I dont see how that's misleading.

The price is a different matter

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

Could try donedeal, I got tired emailing people, stuff either sold already or people dont have the good manners to reply

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

The set is 20kg. They advertise it as a set and that the weight is 20kg so I dont see how that's misleading.

The price is a different matter

I think the ad is deliberately misleading and will have caught a lot of people.
    Do you think it is obvious from the below description that the dumbell has only 8.5kg of plates.

YORK CAST IRON DUMBBELL SET - 20KG
    This York 20kg Vinyl Dumbbell Set is ideal for general muscle strength, toning and conditioning exercises. Black 20 kg cast iron dumbbells with 4 premium heavy-duty spinlocks prevent the plates rattling .

robinbird wrote: »
    I think the ad is deliberately misleading and will have caught a lot of people.
    Do you think it is obvious from the below description that the dumbell has only 8.5kg of plates.

YORK CAST IRON DUMBBELL SET - 20KG
    This York 20kg Vinyl Dumbbell Set is ideal for general muscle strength, toning and conditioning exercises. Black 20 kg cast iron dumbbells with 4 premium heavy-duty spinlocks prevent the plates rattling .

Yeah fair enough. I usually just check what's included but saying "black 20kg cast iron dumbbells is misleading". Saying it's a set and giving the total weight isn't but that bit in the description is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    20kg each hand a warm up.really?

It’s two 10kg dumbbells. 10kg per hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Conybaz

Mod note: there's a buy and sell thread for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

MC SPORT.IE?

I don't know if they are in stock or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Conybaz wrote: »
    Kettlebells for sale

087-2791562
    €40
    Free tracked delivery Nationwide.

Instagram
    @portable_kettlebell

He's back!!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    just got an email from argos that they are opening in retail parks and high streets from monday, i tried to click and collect but the site isnt accepting reservations yet, worth checking nearer the time

It is. Seems to be the case that you will have to order and reserve for collection beforehand rather that in store so assume they will allow it at some stage before Monday. At the moment site is for delivery only for a very limited range of good.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Sunday night I’m thinking

Possibly. And good chance we're both after the same dumbbells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

robinbird wrote: »
    At the moment site is for delivery only for a very limited range of good.
    it is not clear if they are going to stick to this strict list of goods. At the moment they are only selling stuff that you could buy in shops which would be allowed to open. I could not get a tree pruner but was able to get a hair straightener if I wanted! as it fell under personal hygiene or something.

So it might only have stuff that would be in hardware shops.

This is the email which was posted elsewhere.
    Hi,

I am writing to update you on our plans to reopen some Argos stores in the Republic of Ireland from Monday 18th May, in line with the latest guidance from government. Our number one priority is keeping our customers and colleagues safe. We are therefore making a number of changes to our shops and how you shop with us before we reopen.

From Monday 18th May, Argos stores on high streets and in retail parks will start to reopen. Stores in shopping centres will remain closed, in line with government guidance. We will start with our usual store opening hours and will review these over the next few weeks as we see how people are shopping with us – we may extend opening hours in the future if you need us to and if it is safe to do so. For more details, please visit the Store Locator and opening hours page on our website from Monday 18th May.

When our stores are open again, there will be a range of measures in place to keep everyone safe.

There will be a limit on the number of customers allowed in store at any one time. Customers will need to queue a safe distance away from each other outside the store and there will be colleagues on hand to help with this. Wherever possible, we will put signs outside and inside stores and clear markings on shop floors to help you know what a safe distance is. All stores will have perspex safety screens at the tills and our colleagues will be following social distancing guidelines at all times, including when they pick items from the store warehouse and bring them to the collection counter. This might mean it takes them a little longer than usual to serve you – please bear with them, they are doing everything they can to help you under truly exceptional circumstances.

For the time being, you will not be able to browse the Argos catalogue in store or use stock checkers to make a purchase in store, without having reserved it online first. We will keep this under review and if it is safe to do so, we will start offering these services again. Our jewellery counters will not be open for safety reasons, but you can still shop and reserve jewellery and watches online.

You can still shop with Argos online and have selected products delivered to your doorstep. Last time I wrote to you, I said that we had significantly increased the number of deliveries we can make every day and the number of products we can deliver to you. We have been busy adding even more items so you can find lots of what you need online and get it delivered.

Now that our stores are opening again, if you need to return something you will be able to do so. We extended our returns period for products eligible for our 30 days return promise, so any purchases made from 1st March 2020 can be returned up to 30 days after our Argos stores start reopening from 18th May. If you do need to return something, any items will need to be unopened, unused and in their original packaging, with proof of purchase - in line with our usual returns policy.

I appreciate some of these changes may be inconvenient for you and I am sorry for this. We are doing everything possible to do the right thing for all of our customers and colleagues and these steps are necessary to keep everyone safe. Thank you to our colleagues for doing their best to serve you during this very difficult time.

Best wishes,

Mike Coupe, Chief Executive

Pretty sure that they can sell whatever they want if they choose to do so as long as they are in addition to "essential" items. The same way that Dunnes can sell clothes and home furnishing etc. And that the current limited list is more to do with what items are more easily delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Argos stock gone by 7am,managed to reserve a curl bar,few times I got a bench to final reservation part and it's showing as out of stock then, frustrating,I'd imagine done deal will have them later

Can't post link but image attached of a bench on Amazon,not in stock but can order and will be shipped when it's in,good price for prime customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

brianblaze wrote: »
    No links but i spotted a few adds on donedeal for similar!

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    No links but i spotted a few adds on donedeal for similar!

These are laser cut from sheet metal and look the part to be fair. If I knew someone in the fabrication business I'd be over there ASAP! Ha

I'm not sure how much of a killed they'd make tbh. It's steel pretty expensive?
    Then they'd be to be selling at a econy price. Pretty narrow window I'd guess. Maybe not, could be wrong on price

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much of a killed they'd make tbh. It's steel pretty expensive?
    Then they'd be to be selling at a econy price. Pretty narrow window I'd guess. Maybe not, could be wrong on price
    I work with sheetsteel and looked into this years ago but cannot remember the prices! I did think doing microplates was feasible. They could also be customised, nice stainless steel with logos.

The large plate on that instagram page is very narrow, I wonder what it weighs. With laser you are limited to thickness it can cut, then you get into plasma which can go thicker but still limited.

edit: I see this pic, the blue is 20kg which is surprising for the thickness.
    2d5cda_fd142a34c4a84bd48a02359b644ce87b~mv2.webp

The round shape is not economical, if you are cutting from sheet you want to minimise waste on the sheet, so interlocking hex shapes are better.

saw this in the argos thread in bargain alerts, the plates are olympic
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Not Argos but just found kettlebells in stock for a decent price from this Wexford company: https://www.profitness-supplies.com/home-weights/kettlebells.html with free delivery

Also noticed they has 2 x 10kg plates for decent price too €55 https://www.profitness-supplies.com/home-weights/olympic-plates/rubber-olympic-weight-plates-10kg-x-2.html

An option if people can't find any in Argos...

• Advertisement

Looks like they're cutting multiples from one sheet

£70 for one 20KG plate (18 per sheet)
    £17.50 for one 5KG plate (12 per sheet)

£1470 per sheet

rubadub wrote: »
    The large plate on that instagram page is very narrow, I wonder what it weighs. With laser you are limited to thickness it can cut, then you get into plasma which can go thicker but still limited

edit: I see this pic, the blue is 20kg which is surprising for the thickness.
    Olympic colours, so blue is 20kg.
    Based on the density of steel being about 8kg/L, it's be about 16mm thick plate.

Any idea what a plate costs? Or the cost per kg of steel.
    The round shape is not economical, if you are cutting from sheet you want to minimise waste on the sheet, so interlocking hex shapes are better.

Hex is materially economical, but less functional. The money you'd save on material you lose on price.

brianblaze wrote:
    £70 for one 20KG plate (18 per sheet)
    £17.50 for one 5KG plate (12 per sheet)

£1470 per sheet
    That's probably the most effective way.
    I still the thing profit window is gonna be tight. And needs to be that kind of scale to be worth it.

Olympic colours, so blue is 20kg.
    Based on the density of steel being about 8kg/L, it's be about 16mm thick plate.

Any idea what a plate costs? Or the cost per kg of steel.

Hex is materially economical, but less functional. The money you'd save on material you lose on price.

That's probably the most effective way.
    I still the thing profit window is gonna be tight. And needs to be that kind of scale to be worth it.

They're chucking out hundreds a day to be fair, so they're doing volume. Still would love to find a company here who could do it to work out the costs and do a few runs. It'd be far cheaper shipping for people in Ireland than ordering from the UK. (Also I need more f'n plates!)

They're chucking out hundreds a day to be fair, so they're doing volume. Still would love to find a company here who could do it to work out the costs and do a few runs. It'd be far cheaper shipping for people in Ireland than ordering from the UK. (Also I need more f'n plates!)

Yeah, they look to be smashing out a huge amount, so even tiny margins are worth it.

Yeah, they look to be smashing out a huge amount, so even tiny margins are worth it.

Honestly, if anyone knows anyone in that industry, tell em! Easy enough get them designed up and made if you have the equipment!

Plenty of gyms will never reopen unfortunately,be lots of equipment for sale in the coming months

Plenty of gyms will never reopen unfortunately,be lots of equipment for sale in the coming months

Given the sheer amount of Oly bars and plates selling, there might be a higher demand for Crossfit/ Powerlifting gyms though, for people who want to get into the sport after lockdown training solo

Given the sheer amount of Oly bars and plates selling, there might be a higher demand for Crossfit/ Powerlifting gyms though, for people who want to get into the sport after lockdown training solo

spotters needed for heavy stuff,gonna be interesting to see how this plays out

spotters needed for heavy stuff,gonna be interesting to see how this plays out

If you have safetes, you should be fine. Though admittedly that depends on the safeties and how heavy you're going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

https://www.hotukdeals.com/visit/thread/3486180

Hex dumbbells in stock, use code SUMMER20 for a discount

Advertisement