Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turbo of the week

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    I guess there can be no answer fits all
    the facts are until a certain level sport increases the immun system at the same time as you can see how many people come back from training camps with a cold there is a limit to what is good or when system start to get compromised .
    If you are used to train 20 hours 15 hours and some intesity shoukd be save
    if you are used to train 6 hours going up to 12 hours now with .loads of intensity I would not consider that a smart move .especially if one is aged let's say 45 plus
    Health history is also to consider .

At the end peop,e have to make their own decisions and Joe not so blocks who has a wife that is a Dr did 350 k the other day on the bike, but I guess that shoukd safely keep hin in 85 15 lol
    But the equation has to be i traing history xntenstiy x duration x health history . Not just intensity

Aye.

Intensity in isolation does not cause overtraining. Overtraining suppresses the immune system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    Aye.

Intensity in isolation does not cause overtraining. Overtraining suppresses the immune system.

If you don't mind I would slightly disagree or better said expand a bit more .the immunsystem starts to get weakened before overtraining
    genealogy speaking somewhere around 13to 15 or so hour training a week the immunsystem starts to get weaker again something like 20 hours is similar to doing no sport or already slightly worse on immunsystem ie weaker than lest say 5 TO 10 HOURS A WEEK.( this tends to be the area where the immunsystem is the strongest ) of course this is again affected by many things and more a rule over the thumb .
    Hygiene , sleep hygiene and nutrition . Stress etc play into it .

Besides a hard session does supress the immune system for a few hours so I would not go shopping straight after a hard session etc. A longer session does not supres the system as much but for longer .

I was listenin to something where the guy was very vocal on just training one hour a day and I do not agree with that but what he did say was do no harm and with that i agree it's better to be a bit on the save side at the moment . And many people should know what their achilis is and if not I guess not the best time to find out now. I tend not to get lll much but hard intensive sessions in the cold and humid don't agree to much with me . And other people get realy worn out after long sessions which never affect me realy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    Besides a hard session does supress the immune system for a few hours so I would not go shopping straight after a hard session etc. A longer session does not supres the system as much but for longer .

Not as many believers in the window of infection these days.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5911985/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180420122807.htm

However who knows what happens in the immune system and each to their own and all that.

tunney wrote: »
    Not as many believers in the window of infection these days.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5911985/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180420122807.htm

However who knows what happens in the immune system and each to their own and all that.

I would say rather than debunking it's more inconclusive . And I would definitely agree other factors are more important such as stress sleep nutirion .

The same principles apply to other cell functions, such as in vitro proliferation in response to mitogenic stimuli. However, with this measurement in particular, the commonly reported increase in T cell proliferation immediately after acute bouts of exercise is also strongly influenced by laboratory processes and in vitro assay conditions (e.g., blood processing, temperature, mitogen selection) (126). A recent meta-analysis of 24 studies concluded that lymphocyte proliferation is suppressed following acute bouts of exercise, and that a greater magnitude of suppression is caused by exercise lasting longer than 1 h, regardless of exercise intensity (127). However, this meta-analysis did not examine the most important determinant of cell function following exercise: the time-dependent changes in the cellular composition of the samples assayed. Thus, findings such as these should be interpreted with caution if analyses did not differentiate between studies collecting samples immediately after exercise or in the hours following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Peter and Dave citing sports science; and a forum "turbo-of-the-week" just to keep spirits up.

Can't we have both?

Peter and Dave citing sports science; and a forum "turbo-of-the-week" just to keep spirits up.

Can't we have both?[/quo
    You can have both at the end it's up to you what you do after you asses the cost and benefit .it was a fair point raised by Paul .and no harm to think about the potential impacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Here's another session that I did last week. People can alter as appropriate.

20mins warmup as 4x5mins building from easy to RPE 9 out of 10
    4x10mins at RPE 8 out of 10. Recovery is when you feel ready to go again.

If getting back in to things I'd suggest dialing the RPE levels back a notch or two.

Enjoy.

P.

Advertisement