Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have silage ready to cut now, but neighbour was saying it's way too dry. He said it would be better to wait for some rain and then cut. Moisture way too low he says. I'm not set up to handle hay.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mow and pit/ bale the following day. Line up the contractor. Every day it goes on quality will be dropping. If going in the pit make sure it's being well rolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

You'd be as well to cut it if its ready no matter how light, what if this continues for a fortnight or more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    Mow and pit/ bale the following day. Line up the contractor. Every day it goes on quality will be dropping. If going in the pit make sure it's being well rolled.

Or pit/bale straight away after mower
    It'll be nice stuff (25% DM) and itll only be it's own sap.
    Not a fan of over dry silage here. 30% dm is plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, I was thinking of mowing and baling straight away. Thanks for the advice.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭endainoz

Not sure where your based in the country Patsy but I see a small bit of rain forecast for North Clare later on in the week. Temps are definitely dropping from Wednesday by a good 8 to 10 degrees for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

If it still looks green it'll be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was near the bog yesterday working and the amount of hay made around is unreal, made in land you couldn't travel a lot of years, i was talking to one man in his 70s he can't remember a spell of weather like this since he was a young man, men like him have awful heavy land and this spell of weather is suiting them, he said he could do another month without rain and it wouldnt matter to him, this weather isn't suiting everyone but working to others benefit not having to be pulling tractors out of soft holes all summer

He is just missing the bottles of Harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Just walked ground to be cut later in the week. Disgusted to say the least. Gone stemy since I walked it last week and the bulk has gone out of it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

endainoz wrote: »
    Not sure where your based in the country Patsy but I see a small bit of rain forecast for North Clare later on in the week. Temps are definitely dropping from Wednesday by a good 8 to 10 degrees for a few days.

Hopefully it will come down over the estuary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Just walked ground to be cut later in the week. Disgusted to say the least. Gone stemy since I walked it last week and the bulk has gone out of it completely.

Same as that, I made silage this weekend, it was starting to wilt growing. I reckon it was starting to reduce with this heat. I was lucky enough to have the meadows closed early, they were still back a bit from every other year but had bulked up enough to justify cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

Same as that, I made silage this weekend, it was starting to wilt growing. I reckon it was starting to reduce with this heat. I was lucky enough to have the meadows closed early, they were still back a bit from every other year but had bulked up enough to justify cutting

I have some hay meadows under Glas. They are wilting away. It will be all second growth by the tine they are allowed to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

What about the nitrogen

Good dry well wilted grass nitrogen not as big an issue in that scenario.though it was borderline cutting so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I have silage ready to cut now, but neighbour was saying it's way too dry. He said it would be better to wait for some rain and then cut. Moisture way too low he says. I'm not set up to handle hay.

You'll be waiting I fear, I'd lean to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Another problem with that is that after rain any N in the roots will be released up into the plant. Grass that is often borderline for N before rain has very high N for s while after rain

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Parked jeep and 8x4 builders trailer in field for about a week and moved it yesterday. About an inch or inch and half of lovely dark green grass under where the jeep and trailer was parked as compared to absolutely nothing around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Hopefully with reduced sun over next few days we have a better chance of growth even with the little rain in the forecast. Very little rain needed here to get things moving, heavy land...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Last load of silage coming in now. Few rain drops falling. Can see the forest fires in the distance. Some smoke from them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Some nice clouds rolling in. Was fascinating watching the wall of cloud over Clare this afternoon.

I took a look under my wood chips in the veggie garden. Ground is still wet where they are. Rest of the garden is cracking.
    My grass will be getting cut in the next week or so for hay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    Last load of silage coming in now. Few rain drops falling. Can see the forest fires in the distance. Some smoke from them

You get much rain? Nothing here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

whelan2 wrote: »

the ones in Kildare?.

visatorro wrote: »
    You get much rain? Nothing here

A few drops.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    the ones in Kildare?.

In the cooley mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A few drops.

Same here.

_Brian wrote: »
    Same here.

You know that smell when rain falls on very dry ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

Nice soft rain now

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

You know that smell when rain falls on very dry ground

Petrichor is what it's called believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Petrichor is what it's called believe it or not.
    I never once thought to look it up and I can always smell the rain coming sometimes as much as several hours beforehand, it is a very distinctive smell. Yer a gas man for knowing that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I have just been to the front door and back door, nothing smells any different here. No rain on the wind. I felt like that chap in the add selling umbrellas - out beckoning clouds in his direction.

Advertisement