Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Luas/Metro lines we might like.

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

salmocab wrote: »
    The higher you go up the deeper the foundation goes down, plus we expect car spaces for all which may not be the norm elsewhere, the parking thing is one of the reasons student accommodation is popular as no parking means no big dig, quicker to build and cheaper.

I think this should be applied to normal apartments now in central locations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think this should be applied to normal apartments now in central locations...

It’s a tricky one, for developers it might drive the sale price down far enough as to make the build not worthwhile. I’ve no issue with it but it could be cutting off noses to spite faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Connolly Quarter was designed with very minimal residents' parking, in addition to copious amounts of residents' cycling storage. That was great to see (although they later spoiled it a tad by sneaking in a surface car park for CIE use).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,559 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is that not just temporary land use until there are new height rules for commercial, and that area will have an application for offices?

L1011 wrote: »
    Is that not just temporary land use until there are new height rules for commercial, and that area will have an application for offices?

No idea in that respect - they tried to claim they didn't need any planning permission for it and have held up the residential portion as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭citizen6

Article from Ronan Lyons is nearly 2 years old, but as relevant as ever.
    https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/ronan-lyons-wheres-the-plan-to-provide-20-new-homes-per-acre-in-dublin-36993600.html
    The need for Dublin is an extra 20 dwellings on every acre of the city. What is the plan?

Do we need a mayor of Dublin before there is a proper plan for the city's housing and transport? In the meantime, can someone working in a university or think tank come up with one, so it's ready to go if and when the political will exists?

Honestly, if you follow developments on Skyscrapercity, it's fairly true to say that we're getting 6 storey new builds on average where we would have gotten 4 storeys just a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

citizen6 wrote: »
    Do we need a mayor of Dublin before there is a proper plan for the city's housing and transport?

No. We would more likely get someone anti development who would only do more damage. The media would love writing articles singing the praises of some man/woman of the people looking to save a dilapidated cottage from a greedy developer. The bleeding hearts on social media would be all over it too, easy to get people riled up behind such a cause. Anyone promoting density in order to house our growing population in a sustainable way would be vilified and wouldn't stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    No. We would more likely get someone anti development who would only do more damage. The media would love writing articles singing the praises of some man/woman of the people looking to save a dilapidated cottage from a greedy developer. The bleeding hearts on social media would be all over it too, easy to get people riled up behind such a cause. Anyone promoting density in order to house our growing population in a sustainable way would be vilified and wouldn't stand a chance.

Well the current system is hardly delivering, doesn’t the mayor of London have a big say in PT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gjim

MJohnston wrote: »
    No, there's no contradiction - please read my post again. I said it wasn't a failure at LA level.
    But you also provided reasons (conservative policy underinvestment) for the failures? This seems like contradiction to me as it takes both sides of the question: has large scale public housing projects been a success or failure in Ireland?
    In other words, the idea of social housing provided by LAs isn't inherently doomed to fail. I also just think that this perception that all social housing projects are disasters is a weird, narrow view that internet folks seem to have, but doesn't bear out in the real world. The vast majority of Cabra and Crumlin were social housing constructions, designed by Herbert Simms, and they are totally fine places to live.
    But they weren't always. When exclusively owned and managed by the council they were pretty rough. As more and more property moved out of council ownership, these places ended up with a far healthier social mix and now are indeed fine places to live.
    The core problem, in my opinion, is that successive national governments have simply created a society that absolutely does not allow people who require social housing to climb out of that situation.

Anyway, what I'm talking about with a present-day local authority construction programme is not a repeat of the designs of the past. DCC are very much aware of the popular and successful Vienna model, and that's what I'm talking about - less about social housing specifically, more about affordable housing.
    Fair enough. I see things in more concrete terms - there simply isn't currently enough housing to meet demand. Therefore you need more residential property. The industry is only constrained by it's capacity to deliver at the moment so the LAs getting involved wont help at all. And, as I've said, I fear that large scale council housing building will just create new social ghettos - like they've often done in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Has any work being done on the Finglas line such as potential routes?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender went out for a topographical survey of possible routes in Feb but that could be delayed now due to covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭roadmaster

marno21 wrote: »
    Tender went out for a topographical survey of possible routes in Feb but that could be delayed now due to covid-19.

cheers I was being over optimistic I taught it might be a near shovel ready project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Honestly, if you follow developments on Skyscrapercity, it's fairly true to say that we're getting 6 storey new builds on average where we would have gotten 4 storeys just a few years ago.

I only occasionally dip into Skyscrapercity to see what that utter bollox SpongeBob is up to. Long time readers will know what I mean.

Advertisement