Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car scratched by neighbour's landscaper

Options
  • 07-10-2019 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

I have a brand new car and my neighbour is getting landscape work done.

It appears that while bringing in trees or similar the side of my car got scratched.
    (I have a Ring doorbell so I was able to observe recordings of trees being carried in while passing by the car, though I can't observe the PRECISE moment the car was scratched as the doorbell only records video for a limited time but I'm assuming it was one of the moments a tree was brought by)

The car is in a position where no public would be passing by, so it's only the landscapers that have been passing on this route.

The scratches are thankfully not too deep, but they are around 20cm long and noticeable against the new car paint job, and I feel they need to be fixed.

My question is: do I talk to the neighbour, or the landscaper in the morning about this?

And for repairs, should I ask them to pay up front or to repay me after I get them done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

How well do you know the neighbour? Are ye on good terms?

Will a bottle of tcut fix and a small amount of elbow grease?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

893bet wrote: »
    How well do you know the neighbour? Are ye on good terms?

Will a bottle of tcut fix and a small amount of elbow grease?

I don't think so, the scratch catches on my fingernail when I pass it over at 90 degrees so I assume that's a body shop jobbie.

So you reckon the neighbour needs to be contacted about it?

I was kind of hoping this could just be handled by the contractor and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

You dont really have any proof that it happened when you think it happened. Could get messy very quickly. Landscaper may ignore you entirely.

You might be surprised what tcut can do. Is it worth a fall out with a neighbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

You talk to the landscaper. It has nothing to do with your neighbour. The only reason to talk to him would be to expalin that the landscaper damaged your car, and ask the neighbour to provide contact details for the landscaper.

seagull wrote: »
    You talk to the landscaper. It has nothing to do with your neighbour. The only reason to talk to him would be to expalin that the landscaper damaged your car, and ask the neighbour to provide contact details for the landscaper.

aye, I'm in discussion with the landscaper now. I've said in the email that I didn't contact the neighbour yet as I want to keep it private, so hopefully this will be an incentive to assist me without it becoming an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What did they say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Maybe you should report it to Special Branch...

Mod
    Comedians have arrived

Aye follow interesting threads, hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Generally, a principal [the neighbour] is not vicariously liable for the negligence of an independent contractor.
    There are some exceptions to this rule but they seem not to apply here.

The primary or sole liability would appear to be that of the negligent party namely the contractor.

The neighbour might have an independent liability if they were in some way concurrently negligent in their own right.
    Nothing on the evidence suggests any negligence on the part of the neighbour.

• Advertisement

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Generally, a principal [the neighbour] is not vicariously liable for the negligence of an independent contractor.
    There are some exceptions to this rule but they seem not to apply here.

The primary or sole liability would appear to be that of the negligent party namely the contractor.

The neighbour might have an independent liability if they were in some way concurrently negligent in their own right.
    Nothing on the evidence suggests any negligence on the part of the neighbour.

Would the landscapers insurance not cover it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Would the landscapers insurance not cover it??

If liable, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Had similar expierance. Be aware it can get very very messy in super quick time. Not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

mea_k wrote: »
    Had similar expierance. Be aware it can get very very messy in super quick time. Not worth the hassle.

Ok, Mr. Landscaper.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Did it get sorted

Advertisement