Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to court for money owed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

cjmc wrote: »
    Waiting on BPS payment to come in ?

Depending on whether he gets BPS, if your Solicitor gets a Court Order, it will compel the Dept to divert his payments until the debt. is cleared.
    That covers all payments, BPS, sheep scheme, greening, Tams, the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Depending on whether he gets BPS, if your Solicitor gets a Court Order, it will compel the Dept to divert his payments until the debt. is cleared.

A mart owner told me he was owed money from a cattle dealer and was getting no good of him.
    Mart Owner informed cattle dealer he was going to register a judgement against him and his BPS. Dealer promptly paid up.
    In this case the mart owner would have gotten what was owed and the Dealer would have gotten a bad name for Credit with Banks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I was talking to a contractor last week He has a few big dairy customers. One in particular has paid nothing this year so far. He is owed for first and second cut as well a a small third cut. As well as that he spreads all of this customers slurry. He is also owed for some reseeding. The customer milks over 150 cows. He expanded a lot since the mid noughties. Now the peculiar thing is the accountant said to me that dairy farmers in particular made serious money last year and most have huge tax issue's. Is the present reduction in milk price effecting them that much.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I was talking to a contractor last week He has a few big dairy customers. One in particular has paid nothing this year so far. He is owed for first and second cut as well a a small third cut. As well as that he spreads all of this customers slurry. He is also owed for some reseeding. The customer milks over 150 cows. He expanded a lot since the mid noughties. Now the peculiar thing is the accountant said to me that dairy farmers in particular made serious money last year and most have huge tax issue's. Is the present reduction in milk price effecting them that much.
    Most Dairy farmers made huge money last year in a 3 month drought when a lot of them had to buy in fodder for use in summer months when no grass? Following on from a harsh February and march?
    I doubt it

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Most Dairy farmers made huge money last year in a 3 month drought when a lot of them had to buy in fodder for use in summer months when no grass? Following on from a harsh February and march?
    I doubt it

Well I can only post what the accountant said to me.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

kk.man wrote: »
    A mart owner told me he was owed money from a cattle dealer and was getting no good of him.
    Mart Owner informed cattle dealer he was going to register a judgement against him and his BPS. Dealer promptly paid up.
    In this case the mart owner would have gotten what was owed and the Dealer would have gotten a bad name for Credit with Banks etc.

Yeah, some dealers have substantial BPS , depending on what they were at 25 years ago.
    You would be better pay up a few thousand to a creditor, no matter how you gathered it up, than have fifty thousand BPS in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You could easily have a 30k tax bill from last year if you went up say 120 cows to 150 cows on account of stock values increasing but have 80k plus owed in merchant credit/overdrafts etc, at years closing and not a penny to your name, the stock relief been done away it has screwed allot of lads expanding big numbers wise as the 75k limit means bringing in a family member as a partnership isn't enough now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I wonder why do contractors continue to do work for the likes of these lads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

whelan2 wrote: »

Volume of work, volume of money or potential money owed.

The same fellas take a machine out on trial, bale 200 bales with a machine and then hand it back to the machinery dealer saying they don't like it and move on to the next dealer. The dealer's are eager to give the machine out because they know they have the money from their farm size and occasionally they will buy such a machine. These fellas are all across the board in agriculture.

When you're big you can get away with murder.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    You could easily have a 30k tax bill from last year if you went up say 120 cows to 150 cows on account of stock values increasing but have 80k plus owed in merchant credit/overdrafts etc, at years closing and not a penny to your name, the stock relief been done away it has screwed allot of lads expanding big numbers wise as the 75k limit means bringing in a family member as a partnership isn't enough now

To have a tax bill of 30K(inc PRsi and USC) he want to be showing an income of 85K before showing any depreciation of building and machinery. His net income would be over 55K and that is treated as a single person If his spouse was working on the farm He be up over 100K in income before he have a tax bill again that size before allowing for an depreciation. Income cam be shown to any childern working on the farm as well. If he cannot pay his bills he over expanded. Too many excuses for these sort of lads.

It a bit like a bank if you own a contractor 5-19K its your problem if you oqn them 30-50K+ its theirs. It can build up very fast a lad that normally pays on time and suddenly you have second cut done and no money arriving

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Well I can only post what the accountant said to me.

It doesn't make sense though, certainly here in the southeast where those that had money had it all eaten up (literally) and those that didn't have huge merchant debt and in some cases have been paying off last years glanbias extended credit too

Know a contractor here that's owed 50k from a beef finisher between 18's and this years silage bill, hasn't a hope of getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Interesting, didn't know that

To have a tax bill of 30K(inc PRsi and USC) he want to be showing an income of 85K before showing any depreciation of building and machinery. His net income would be over 55K and that is treated as a single person If his spouse was working on the farm He be up over 100K in income before he have a tax bill again that size before allowing for an depreciation. Income cam be shown to any childern working on the farm as well. If he cannot pay his bills he over expanded. Too many excuses for these sort of lads.

It a bit like a bank if you own a contractor 5-19K its your problem if you oqn them 30-50K+ its theirs. It can build up very fast a lad that normally pays on time and suddenly you have second cut done and no money arriving

Had a 100% stock relief for 2018 as was in last year of it, if I hadn't been able to avail of it my tax bill would of went from 4k to 28k due to extra cows and in-calf heifers been carried

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Sorry to hear of your trouble with a farmer. I am in the process of the legal route with a farmer. So up to 2k use small claims court, any higher use a solicitor.

If you have no luck you can have a judgement made against them and even do a bankruptcy petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Two things did the contractor talk to the farmer or look for payment? And the accountants clientele may not have been as effected by last summer's drought or the previous years wet weather as much as others?
    Have some contractors here get paid out the gate and another that comes Xmas week without fail, always has. Makes no odds once I know when they are coming, which would be the main thing. Have to chase other lads then for a bill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

pms7 wrote: »
    Interesting, didn't know that

In this case his BP was c 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭enricoh

Know a contractor here that's owed 50k from a beef finisher between 18's and this years silage bill, hasn't a hope of getting it

That'd drive me round the bend, I'd end up shooting him for piece of mind! Why go back this year? Further down the hole now
    A mate of mine put together a silage outfit and was inundated with work from the get go - happy days. The happiness didnt last, most of his customers were non payers that had been dropped by other contractors. Torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

enricoh wrote: »
    That'd drive me round the bend, I'd end up shooting him for piece of mind! Why go back this year? Further down the hole now
    A mate of mine put together a silage outfit and was inundated with work from the get go - happy days. The happiness didnt last, most of his customers were non payers that had been dropped by other contractors. Torture.

Heard of a contractor who was owed for previous year and not being paid.
    He mowed the first cut, then pulled out, farmer not happy to put it mildly as no other contractor would come in to pick it up, knowing full well the reason. He paid up..

enricoh wrote: »

Their in their the past 20 years, their biggest customer and they probably thought he'd pony up the money but he's stone broke and has no sfp to draw down as he sold his entitlements years ago, they'll have to bring him to court eventually as financially they can't carry it much longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Their in their the past 20 years, their biggest customer and they probably thought he'd pony up the money but he's stone broke and has no sfp to draw down as he sold his entitlements years ago, they'll have to bring him to court eventually as financially they can't carry it much longer

Imagine the stress. On both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

There is a contractor up here owed 80,000. by a dairy farmer, I asked him this spring why he kept working for him, his answered, he was owed 100,000 last year. Another 4 years and he'll be bankrupt or clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

pms7 wrote: »
    Heard of a contractor who was owed for previous year and not being paid.
    He mowed the first cut, then pulled out, farmer not happy to put it mildly as no other contractor would come in to pick it up, knowing full well the reason. He paid up..

I know of a similar case where the cut silage was left for a long time before it was baled. I suspected the same crack.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Could you explain how this worked tru official channels? Would he not have to give permission to release the cattle from his herd.

Send me a pm if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Any update OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I know of a similar case where the cut silage was left for a long time before it was baled. I suspected the same crack.

I know similar here.. but farmer was well known for not paying...

Bellview wrote: »
    I know similar here.. but farmer was well known for not paying...

For every Billy the Kid there's a Pat Garrett

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement