Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostbusters Afterlife (Jason Reitman)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I get why some people don't like Gremlins 2 (I do like it - not quite as much as the first, but I deeply admire its wit and energy), but the one thing it can't be accused of is being a lazy or unimaginative franchise rehash. What it does rehash is done so mostly to set up gags and satirise itself.

It's utterly wild and bizarre, more a Looney Toons feature in some ways than a Gremlins sequel - although it is a very meta, winking sort of sequel as well that rips the piss out of itself and its predecessor. But it certainly doesn't coast on the success of part one, and is a director saying 'you liked that? here's something completely different'. It is exactly the sort of sequel I want to see to popular films: fresh, imaginative and a bit unhinged. It's also exactly the sort of sequel we don't get very often, with the exception of outliers like Fury Road.

Ghostbusters 2, in comparison, is 'more of the same, but worse'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ghostbusters as a variation of "Stranger Things" is fine with me and arguably a pretty good approach for a sequel IMO; I know the Netflix show has burned out its goodwill through over-exposure, but " kids investigate spookiness in small-town America" is a pretty solid, engaging story format that connects well with the Ghostbusters world. Especially in a "passing the torch" approach, which seems to be the main vibe going on here. Ok, not very "New York" but apart from anything else that version of NY doesn't exist anymore anyway.

When done right, a bunch of (usually outcast) kids pursuing a mystery in their home town is an excellent slice of entertainment that has never gone out of fashion since the days of Enid Blyton. I'm not convinced Sony will simply let this film BE mind you, and will probably interfere to the point of it becoming just another mush of CGI - but the bones of a good sequel are there.

The first series of 'Stranger Things' was pretty great. Still is, if you take it as a one off, like I do. But they absolutely destroyed it by trying to milk more out if it, the dopey fuckers. But sure, you know how things go.

But, for me, 'Ghostbusters' was an adult comedy that I was allowed to watch. I've never seen it as this kind of kids thing which it later became. The 1984 movie was not a kids movie at all. It's silly and stupid, but children wasn't it's original audience. Late teens and upwards were it's intended market and that was artificially expanded by parents that didn't know any better who brought the kiddies to what they thought was a silly, harmless, children's film.

This is probably why I'm not that enthused about it now being "for the kids".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

py2006 wrote: »
    I have to kinda agree with that. Ghostbusters for me is as much about New York City as it is about anything else.

When I first went to New York, I spent the entire time looking up and admiring the neo-gothic architecture mostly GB inspired. Love the Lincoln Building: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Grand_Central_Place

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Tony EH wrote: »
    Can't even get a glimmer of excitement up for this TBH. It all just looks like it's trying to do 'Ghostbusters' in a 'Stranger Things'/'It' fashion.

But, it's odd. For me 'Ghostbusters' was just another film of the 80's. It's like 'Trading Places' or 'The Karate Kid'. I never got that it was a "franchise"...ugh, I hate that fucking word. It was a great little film that was the hit of the Christmas 1984, along with 'Gremlins'. But all it had was one very mediocre sequel and a couple of naff cartoons that didn't do anything for me, even as a kid.

I spose I'll just never get the hype about it and there's nothing about this film that seems to be changing that.

The only 80's based film Im hyped for is Top Gun 2 , because you know it will be a blast. Humor in particular I think just changes over time so making a film with the pressure of trying to re bottle the magic of the original is a big ask. The original was just that perfect mix of comedy with a hint of menace and was a masterpiece of tight editing and script writing.

I dont think a new Trading Places would work either , it was very much a film of its time

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I get why some people don't like Gremlins 2 (I do like it - not quite as much as the first, but I deeply admire its wit and energy), but the one thing it can't be accused of is being a lazy or unimaginative franchise rehash. What it does rehash is done so mostly to set up gags and satirise itself.

It's utterly wild and bizarre, more a Looney Toons feature in some ways than a Gremlins sequel - although it is a very meta, winking sort of sequel as well that rips the piss out of itself and its predecessor. But it certainly doesn't coast on the success of part one, and is a director saying 'you liked that? here's something completely different'. It is exactly the sort of sequel I want to see to popular films: fresh, imaginative and a bit unhinged. It's also exactly the sort of sequel we don't get very often, with the exception of outliers like Fury Road.

Ghostbusters 2, in comparison, is 'more of the same, but worse'.

I think gremlins 2 is something different but nowhere near equal or good enough for the original. The premise is the same. Gizmo leaves his home, ends up with the same owner , gets wet and has a bunch of bad babies who go nuts , exact same story as the first. Except they are in a big office in a city that gives them access to all sorts of stuff. It’s not that radical, just a major shift in tone from the original; from more horror to slapstick comedy.

Thing with sequels is that most I think people go to them to reconnect with what engaged them in the original. It’s part of why marvel movies do so well. Keep mostly same ingredients and introduce new characters with familiar characters, then have a standalone. It’s why non Snyder DC movies do well, people want familiarity.

Alien and aliens or terminator 1 & 2 are probably some of the best examples of quality sequels that maybe even surpass the originals and both blended the best of the originals with some new ideas that were really well executed. I don’t see gremlins 2 as a comparable example of a movie that’s good simply because it’s off the wall different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trading Places could be transplanted to modern-day without losing too much context; not like issues of wealth inequality and race aren't still topical enough. Admittedly, it's a long time since I saw the original movie but the entire premise was about rich shítheads having a gentleman's wager an uneducated black man could succeed in their realm. That would absolutely still work; maybe the cigar & wingback chair tycoon types don't exist anymore. Rather, a remake could make good satirical hay from lampooning the Tech Bro type, brainlessly trying "outreach" as a bet.

The problem would be more in line with all these remakes and conversations: you can't put the lightning back in the bottle, and once studio oversight hovers above a project; it's impossible to have the creative freedom that spawned the original when bean counters have the final say (see basically every 80s SciFi IP, including Ghostbusters, even if I'm more positively inclined).

Trading Places could be transplanted to modern-day without losing too much context; not like issues of wealth inequality and race aren't still topical enough. Admittedly, it's a long time since I saw the original movie but the entire premise was about rich shítheads having a gentleman's wager an uneducated black man could succeed in their realm. That would absolutely still work; maybe the cigar & wingback chair tycoon types don't exist anymore. Rather, a remake could make good satirical hay from lampooning the Tech Bro type, brainlessly trying "outreach" as a bet.

The problem would be more in line with all these remakes and conversations: you can't put the lightning back in the bottle, and once studio oversight hovers above a project; it's impossible to have the creative freedom that spawned the original when bean counters have the final say (see basically every 80s SciFi IP, including Ghostbusters, even if I'm more positively inclined).

there are certainly elements that could be used, I just dont think you could call it Trading Places .... Just seeing there is a Beverly Hills Cop 4 announced :pac:

if old IP's are seen as financial assets that need to be sweated , even if they can churn some positive cashflows out of them though that seems dubious, it will just be a conveyor belt of sub par instantly forgettable films.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

What could they possibly do with a 'Beverly Hills Cop 4'? The joke in the first one is a Detroit cop in La La Land. But that's a busted flush. And doing something like 'Beverly Hills Cop 3' and setting it in a particular thing is a no no.

It'll end up just being a straight to Netflix job (the new straight to video) and being instantly forgotten like 'Coming 2 America'.

silverharp wrote: »
    there are certainly elements that could be used, I just dont think you could call it Trading Places .... Just seeing there is a Beverly Hills Cop 4 announced :pac:

if old IP's are seen as financial assets that need to be sweated , even if they can churn some positive cashflows out of them though that seems dubious, it will just be a conveyor belt of sub par instantly forgettable films.

Wouid trading places work in the modern overly sensitive to words world? I can’t remember if there’s stuff that just wouldn’t be let go by the online eternally angry politically correct mob .

It feels like blazing saddles just wouldn’t have a chance these days. South Park and their creators movies like team America are prob the closest we will get to “f*ck you political correctness” , it’s gas how they have almost cultivated an immunity to the PC mob.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doesn't matter. One must feed the Nostalgia God.

Content.

Content.

Only ever Content.

Applaud ephemeral beings, here is a sequel to a film from your childhood. Buy this limited edition He-Man.

(yeah I know I've been kinder to G3 and other sequels here, but there's a volume that's beginning to drown my enthusiasm. Space Jam 2 feels like we're truly circling the bottom of the pop-culture barrel)

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter. One must feed the Nostalgia God.

Content.

Content.

Only ever Content.

Applaud ephemeral beings, here is a sequel to a film from your childhood. Buy this limited edition He-Man.

(yeah I know I've been kinder to G3 and other sequels here, but there's a volume that's beginning to drown my enthusiasm. Space Jam 2 feels like we're truly circling the bottom of the pop-culture barrel)

Without bad movies there can be no good movies.

d32af16f1d7e92411e08828d5d0e91b3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Drumpot wrote: »
    Wouid trading places work in the modern overly sensitive to words world? I can’t remember if there’s stuff that just wouldn’t be let go by the online eternally angry politically correct mob .

It feels like blazing saddles just wouldn’t have a chance these days. South Park and their creators movies like team America are prob the closest we will get to “f*ck you political correctness” , it’s gas how they have almost cultivated an immunity to the PC mob.

I haven't watched Blazing Saddles in a few years but I'm always slightly bemused when people say you couldn't make it nowadays. Aside from the use of the N word I don't remember much in it that's actually offensive, its a satire and racists and racism are more often than not the butt of the jokes. Maybe I need to rewatch it though.

Blazing Saddles could of course be made these days; maybe not by a white jewish guy, sure; but as you say FunLover it's so openly, brazenly critical of racists and racism in general you'd be doing well to misinterpret it. It's a weird strawman trotted out in defence of the right to say racist things (I know you Drumpot aren't yourself saying this) or the Todd Phillips of this world who lament the passing of "mean" comedy cos he can't make another Hangover film. Even the vaunted South Park doesn't go there AFAIK, bar circuitously such as the "Naggers" episode (which still makes me laugh TBH). While Always Sunny... shows that "non PC" comedy is alive and well (yes, I know the Lethal Weapon episode was removed from streaming services - that's another topic TBH). Meanwhile, shows like Rick & Morty push the envelope when it comes to "good taste"

Seems like the only thing that has changed is that Punching Down isn't as easy and "harmless" as it used to; oh no, you can't make f&ggot jokes anymore (ironically, that's one element that DOES age Blazing saddles as IIRC there's a usage of it near the end), truly PC gone mad. Comedy styles chop and change, it's natural. You want proof, just read a Shakspeare "comedy", they're about as funny as a tax audit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

don't think if this has been posted already but its got me excited

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

New Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer dropping tomorrow.

Post edited by doney84 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Two potential reboots of a franchise this close together really reminds me of the piss-poor Terminator attempted revivals. Don't see any buzz for this at all. Finally, audiences seem to be turning away from endless reboots, although studios are persisting with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Well if it wasn't clear already, the trailer confirms this is leaning heavily into Stranger Things, Goosebumps and that distinct "precocious kids investigate small town mysteries" vibe ... and I'm 100% with that. Am a huge sucker for that sub-genre.

Ok, maybe it's not matching the schlubby New Yoyk vibe of the originals but I really enjoyed that trailer; first and foremost it looks like an adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭billyhead

That looks like a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

The trailer with Paul Rudd and the mini staypuft had me worried, but now in a little bit of context that looks like a bit of fun.

Love the fact it appears like Janine is the Grandmother (did we know that already?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hmmm, its missing....New York City!

I think that poor Hard Finnwolf kid is doomed to be in productions that are only going to riff on 'Stranger Things' for the rest of his career. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

She looks familiar...

If someone was hoping for a film to recapture the magic of the original Ghostbusters film, its not even trying. It might still do well as it only cost $50m , it just seems like a different thing like Spy Kids or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It reminded me of Super 8, which is odd as I found that film quite forgettable. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hmm, could be ok, stranger things and super 8 vibes from it as others have said.

Yeah, a 'Stranger Things' vibe.

But not a 'Ghostbusters' one.

Perhaps but if the script is aiming towards a "next-generation" approach - which seems very likely by that trailer - it's not a completely horrendous idea to do so via a well-understood sibling genre like ... whatever ET/Goonies/Stranger Things etc. could be called.

Assuming thats Dan Akroyd at the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement