Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fry in Dublin (Saturday)?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Actually, Clarkes is a damn good fry... haven't had one in years. I still maintain the Gourmet Food Parlour though.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

BoBo's open till 4am last night again. Walked up to door at 3am and seen that Closing times are now 4am Thursday, Friday & Saturday.

Here's the strange thing though. Eddies was pack accross the road and their burgers are similarly priced.

They should put a sign outside and make sure people know they are open and maybe have Burger, Chips & Drink deal for €8 or €9.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

+1 for Howards way in Churchtown, worth the queue on a Sunday, we went so often the girl didn't even bother giving us a menu! Also you can have wine with breakfast! I never did but seen others do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭WRENALDO

Sadly i have to take back my recommendation for the Kingfisher Parnell Street was in there the other day and was basically given a re-heat of a breakfast which included 1 rasher and 1 miserable egg also at a price of 8.50euro is hardly recession proof . It's a shame i don't understand why places do this .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My place for a fry, well, you can get it on a Sunday morning at 8am!
    Its an early house, off of Aungier St, Palace Hotel and Bar I think.
    I was up, around the green selling some paintings a couple of years ago, bemoaning the fact that it's hard to find a place that does a breakfast on a Sunday morning, aside from Maccy D's.
    One of the garvies, the lads with the horses and carriages there told me of the place they go to, and it's handy from the Green, just head down, past the centre and the theater, keep walking along that street, you get to Aungier St, cross it, past 747 travel, and around the corner is this little pub/hotel.
    It opens at 8am every morning and they do an Irish fry up for, wait for it, a fiver!
    Thats tea, toast, 2 sausages, 2 bacon, mushrooms, beans, pudding.
    Now, it may not be the most impressive spread, the sausages are not as big as those elsewhere, nor the bacon as thickly sliced, but at 8am on a Sunday it's a little piece of heaven.

And if the proprietor likes the look of you, you can get a pint as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Its called the Royal good breaky dodgy looking clients thou

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My place for a fry, well, you can get it on a Sunday morning at 8am!
    Its an early house, off of Aungier St, Palace Hotel and Bar I think.
    I was up, around the green selling some paintings a couple of years ago, bemoaning the fact that it's hard to find a place that does a breakfast on a Sunday morning, aside from Maccy D's.
    One of the garvies, the lads with the horses and carriages there told me of the place they go to, and it's handy from the Green, just head down, past the centre and the theater, keep walking along that street, you get to Aungier St, cross it, past 747 travel, and around the corner is this little pub/hotel.
    It opens at 8am every morning and they do an Irish fry up for, wait for it, a fiver!
    Thats tea, toast, 2 sausages, 2 bacon, mushrooms, beans, pudding.
    Now, it may not be the most impressive spread, the sausages are not as big as those elsewhere, nor the bacon as thickly sliced, but at 8am on a Sunday it's a little piece of heaven.

And if the proprietor likes the look of you, you can get a pint as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

The chuck wagon yum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

YES!
    The Chuck Wagon!
    Half my hospital, St. Itas, head there of a weekend to get tanked up on the most excellent full Irish on a soda farl, pure indulgence, collector of many awards for sheer bacony gloriousness and, well, what else need you know!
    It's all cooked out of a catering caravan at the side of the road, up past the Donabate turnoff from the N1.
    It's normally surrounded by truckers and builders, and if they will make the journey there, you know it must be good.
    (I used to wonder where the good ladies working there went to the toilet, as it's a good distance from, anything, then it turned out they drove to the next service station to do their business, not that I was stalking or anything freaky deaky!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

If anyone is near Rosemont Business Park, ballycoolin mid-week before noon there a converted double decker bus( bia bus) that does an amazing breakfast bap. All top notch ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

I used to work on Camden st about 15years ago, there used to be a little cafe on montague st run by a guy called Des, had the best breakfast sandwiches ever! we used to send out for them for the tea break on a saturday. it was a full breakfast cooked to order between 2 slices of toasted batch bread, wrapped in tin foil, and by the time you opened up the sambo' the heat and steam had softened the toast. they were the king of breakfast sandwiches. anyone know if they're still there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

bdr529 wrote: »
    I used to work on Camden st about 15years ago, there used to be a little cafe on montague st run by a guy called Des, had the best breakfast sandwiches ever! we used to send out for them for the tea break on a saturday. it was a full breakfast cooked to order between 2 slices of toasted batch bread, wrapped in tin foil, and by the time you opened up the sambo' the heat and steam had softened the toast. they were the king of breakfast sandwiches. anyone know if they're still there?

I remember the place and the old boy Des, many a hang-over brekkie was consumed at lunchtime in that place :)- he sold out a good few years ago - theres a restuarant there called Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 adamshort

there's a little place in terenure on the same road that the garda station is on that does a cracking fry up. think its a Brazil cafe... its a little different with soda bread and poached eggs and chopped tomatoes (dont knock it till you tried it)... its really works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

+1 for Howards Way in Rathgar i went there the other day and it was tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I remember the place and the old boy Des, many a hang-over brekkie was consumed at lunchtime in that place :)- he sold out a good few years ago - theres a restuarant there called Bliss.

There is a place on Montague street called Gerrys, Its a real rough and ready place,I remeber it years ago before it was redeveloped, you used to be in the persons front room alsmost and none of the crockery matched..It good home made cooking the same as what you get now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

There used to be loads of newsagents in Dublin that had a breakfast fry ready in the back with a few tables.

The only place now I know is the Kylemore(?) bakery oppsite the main entrance to the Parnell Shoping centre, on Henry Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

LoanShark wrote: »
    There is a place on Montague street called Gerrys, Its a real rough and ready place,I remeber it years ago before it was redeveloped, you used to be in the persons front room alsmost and none of the crockery matched..It good home made cooking the same as what you get now...

Gerry's still throws our lovely breakfasts, loads of tea, toast and banter. They also do good dinners for €6.50:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭wadk

Matt the rashers on sundrive road facing superquinn. holy mother of the divine.:D

or deli-licious in crumlin village, the name says it all.

Im starving now!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

adamshort wrote: »
    there's a little place in terenure on the same road that the garda station is on that does a cracking fry up. think its a Brazil cafe... its a little different with soda bread and poached eggs and chopped tomatoes (dont knock it till you tried it)... its really works a treat
    It is Cafe Guanabara I think. They are licenced and have outside tables at the back for schmokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Gerry's still throws our lovely breakfasts, loads of tea, toast and banter. They also do good dinners for €6.50:)

Agreed 100% Dan, Gerrys Rocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Howards Way don't offer beans, mushroom or fried tomato. That's disgraceful. How dare they meddle with the sacrosanct components of a fry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'm dissappointed in this thread. Very very much so.

None of you have been to Violets? Noone?

On Dorset Street, towards the Drumcondra end. I save it for my "mother of god" hangovers, it's a divine experience. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Truth be told though, I've never been able to order the big big fry up... From what I remember, it's a burger with bun, pork chops, sausages, beans, mushrooms, rashers, puddings, chips and toast. Oh, and tea or coffee. Though with a meal like that, it has to be tea.

Don't go near the place if there's a match in Croke park though...

Ha I was just about to ask for a place near drumcondra. I might get a feed when I'm there up next week visiting a friend. Where is it in relation to Quinns pub?

Also would anyone know of a good fry in Carlow? I haven't chanced upon a good one yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Had the best fry-up of my life there recently and it was at the Radisson (just down the road from Burdock's in Christchurch if heading for St George's St).

It was very expensive as it is a buffet (€17) but worth every damn penny.

They have everything that you could want: Fresh croissants (chocolate also), roast potatoes, meaty sausages, crispy bacon, beans, scrambled eggs, fried eggs (etc) waffles, pancakes, smoked salmon, cereals, yogurts: the list is endless.

Will definitely return.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jemmyboy

had a fry Der recently in a place called newsroom in blackrock........its defo worth a try!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

Not lived in Dublin for a few years so I'm not 100% percent sure if I'm getting the name right but I think it's Hobart's in Ranelagh that is top notch. Used always head up there on a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

jemmyboy wrote: »
    had a fry Der recently in a place called newsroom in blackrock........its defo worth a try!!!

Where in Blackrock is it? Last one I had there was this: http://www.rashersandeggs.com/viewsinglereview.php?reviewid=61

Wasn't too impressed (but it was a while back). Never heard of newsroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

It's Newscafe actually, Temple Rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

There used to be a wee place, when I say wee I mean wee, in Rathgar the road leading down to Harolds X, It could hold 8 people, sign outside used to say best Breakfast in Dublin, 2 mates and I thought thats a big boast on our way to the usual Howards Saturday Soakage, we went every saturday for about 2 years after that till it closed, We would walk in and the ole dear would nod and ready 3 large with chips. They Closed at 2 and we would weigh in about 10 too, they'd leave us scoffin away and tell us to help ourselves to more tea and toast while they'd nip outside for the Shmoke. Best Fry ever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

I posted this in another thread so apologies if you've read already. Ikea does a damn fine breakfast from 10 -11 Mon- Sat and 11 - 12 on Sunday.
    You can have a small 6 item breakfast for €1.95 -- yes that's right €1.95. That includes one sausage, one rasher, one hash brown, scrambled eggs, tomato and beans.
    A regular breakfast is slightly heartier with nine items -- two sausages, two rashers, two hash browns, scrambled eggs, tomato and beans. All for €2.25 -- again you're reading it right €2.25. They also do a kids brekkie for 95 cent where you can pick three items.
    The sausages are very tasty and the rashers are nice and meaty. The hash browns are lovely and crisp and the beans are fine too. Scrambled eggs are done well. The tomato, however, suffers from what a lot of cafs tend to do -- undercook it. A cooked tomato should be softer and not resemble something you'd put in a salad.
    The other down side is if you're a fried egg fan -- you're out of luck here as they only offer scrambled.
    Also, the breakfast is set you can't choose one sausage, two rashers, no beans etc... you have a choice of small or regular.
    Still, it's the best value breakfast in the country - never mind Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Del Rio's across the road from the Abbey Theatre, get the big breakfast. 2 sausages, 2 rashers, 2 eggs, 4 white pudding, beans/mushrooms, toast and tea/coffee all for under a tenner. When me and my mates go in that's what we usually order and they throw in a plate of chips aswell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ok my 2 cents are. For very good breakfast presented to you nicely in a nice setting full Irish in The Twelth Lock in Castleknock is great. €10 euro so not the cheapest but you can get a pint too as it a pub!

Or a cheap sloppy fry Dunnes cafe in blanch centre is perfect. Think I paid just over a tenner for 2 frys last time I was there. Tis item based but incredibly cheap. No beer there though and not the must wonderful of settings

Lastly option 1 is an all day breakfast!! Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

10euros for a fry! Incredible prices for such a simple thing. I love fryups. nom nom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

djrichard wrote: »
    10euros for a fry! Incredible prices for such a simple thing. I love fryups. nom nom.

Personally I'd rather pay a tenner for something good than pay 6 euro for slop which I find is normally the case with cheaper options. Take Dunnes I mentioned it's slop but cheap. Depends on your frame of mind imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Hobarts in Ranelagh is good.

Plenty of options with the full breakfast in at 9.95 and a slighly different version at 8.95. Sausages very tasty, plenty of toast and a big jug of tea. If i had to make a complaint it would be that there was too much fat on the bacon but thats a very minor complaint.

Would recommend the place ive been a few times. Gets quite busy on the weekends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Personally I'd rather pay a tenner for something good than pay 6 euro for slop which I find is normally the case with cheaper options. Take Dunnes I mentioned it's slop but cheap. Depends on your frame of mind imo.

Dont get me wrong, I understand you need to pay for quality. Im just trying to think that in Scotland, which has amazing fry ups too, I wouldnt pay anywhere near that.

If in a pub having a pint and a fry-up, it would cost about 15euros! If there were 4 of you having a fry and a pint each, the bill would be 60 euros plus a tip! Thats incredible. 4 cans from the off-licence and you could then buy the most amazing meats etc from the butcher and make it yourself for a lot less! You could even afford to pay for someone to do the dishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Anywhere in Dublin that does a good mixed grill? The Millhouse in Stillorgan used to do an excellent mixed grill but I have not come across too many more in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

the place on georges st where Havana is now was a bit of a kip but back in my alcoholic hayday it kept me going for the day after pulling an all nighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Best option in drumcondra/whitehall?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coltrain

kennedys in Fairview is second to none imo, bookies right next door too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Born and raised in Galway and lived their all my life until this past five months and have to say I'm missing Homeplate but have to report that had a fry-up in a cafe called Capachino Cafe in Temple Bar today and it was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

There's a smashing little cafe beside St.Michaels Hospital in Dún Laoghaire, do a fryup for 7.95 last time I was there, their coffee is lovely too.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Kate's Corner across from connolly station is decent if a bit slow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

village cafe rathmines has an amazing fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mankyspuds

Partner's in Rathfarnham S.C €8.00 for their 'big' breakfast.

Mother of god the white pudding, jesus it's good. Best I have ever had, Melts in the mouth. You can chop and change for anything, so if you hate mushrooms like I do 'stick on some more of that gorgous pudding instead there love' a little gem of a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Paddy's Place, Smithfield fruit market...coronary on a plate...num num num

Advertisement