Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fry in Dublin (Saturday)?

Options
  • 10-04-2007 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I have a mate returning to Dublin for a weekend soon enough. We have a tradition where a group of us go out in the afternoon for a fry followed by booze & bookie's. We have tried various places for fries - a few places in Ranelagh, Howth, Malahide, but we haven't found the "excalibur" of fries yet. Can ye recommend any places that serve a fry that is a cut above the rest, and open of a Saturday?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it used to be the wicked chef in meath street but it has closed down :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

I've tried many a place but have yet to had a better fry than the Mammy's Fry. :D

Lord rest her soul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭nads

there is no places anymore that do frys to the degree of decency...

every place have pre-cooked cr*p subsequentially re-heated in a microwave.

I was amazed in 'Woodstock' in Phibsboro a guy ordering fry components to then be stuck in the queue so long to pay that he, himself, said to the check-out girl to bung it in the microwave for a few seconds! He was some pro!

Sorry...

The nearest thing i got to a good fry was out in Maynooth, which is Kildare i suppose, forget the name of the place but it's near the Uni with a red facade.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Caybar

nads wrote:

The nearest thing i got to a good fry was out in Maynooth, which is Kildare i suppose, forget the name of the place but it's near the Uni with a red facade.

Rye River Café me thinks and yes they are goooodddd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a small place on the North Strand opposite the old cinema that does a lovely fry. Not at all greasy and almost makes you think it's healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Bay Restaurant, Clontarf - good breakfast, not a greasy spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

nads wrote:
    there is no places anymore that do frys to the degree of decency...

every place have pre-cooked cr*p subsequentially re-heated in a microwave.

I was amazed in 'Woodstock' in Phibsboro a guy ordering fry components to then be stuck in the queue so long to pay that he, himself, said to the check-out girl to bung it in the microwave for a few seconds! He was some pro!

Sorry...

Thats "the rye".
    There are no signs on the place identifying it though. All the students just know the name from word of mouth. You could easily walk by it and not notice that theres a "café" there (greasy spoon tbh)
    Its tiny, its grotty, its always crowded and covered in steam and smoke.
    But damn, they do the best fry in the world.
    For €6 you'd get a pint of orange juice, a full irish(with chips if you want), and a seperate full size plate full of homemade brown bread and toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

Okay so maybe not exactly a fry but tis a breakfast roll. Served in Donovans Butchers in Neilstown Shopping Centre. Sweet Jesus they are unbelievable. It's actually a full fry served on half a french stick. They've won Leinster awards for their pudding and sausages over the years. Really cant speak high enough of them.

I would go as far as saying as possibly the best I've ever tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Bit out of the way, but the White House on the Ashbourne Rd does a lovely fry for €7. Best I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Leon11 wrote:
    Okay so maybe not exactly a fry but tis a breakfast roll. Served in Donovans Butchers in Neilstown Shopping Centre. Sweet Jesus they are unbelievable. It's actually a full fry served on half a french stick. They've won Leinster awards for their pudding and sausages over the years. Really cant speak high enough of them.

Ah - The breakfast role.

We thought Ireland was becoming chic when the French introduced the baguette to us 10 years ago. Then what do we do? Shove a greasy belly busting fry-up into it....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dublin?
    What in the blue holy **** is a dublin?
    Surely you eat breakfast on a plate? Occasionally out of a roll..
    Sometimes off the body of a fat chick with nice skin.
    But I have no idea how one would eat breakfast in a dublin...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Eden in Templebar.
    Quite the fry.
    Served on their brunch menu...the proper time for a weekend breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

There is a place on Parnell St - caff type scenario. Can't remember the name though!
    I'd say Fucardis on Abbey Street might do it too.

Cafe Bar Deli on Grafton St - the old Bewleys - also does d'Full Irish.

Madigan's on North Earl Street do a great fry. Eggs, rashers, sausages, mushrooms, b&w pudding, tomato, Pot of tea, toast. I think it's in the €7-9 bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Does a fry up have to come with a mug of scald? Or does a cup of Joe qualify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the news cafe in blackrock does a lovely breakfast, anns bakery in earl street is great as well

anns bakery in earl street is great as well

I second that, plus its next door to Madigan's so either way you'll get a good fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

'Brendan's' on Mary's Lane in the Dublin Fruit Market. No frills but it's hard to beat. Don't ask for the large one unless you are a total glutton.

(Opens at 5am so I'm not sure if it will still be open in the afternoon :))

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

Really out of the way, but in Dunshaughlin in meath, Fidelma's, the best fry EVER. i mean, people travel FROM dublin for their breakfeast. hmmmm i would love one right now... :(

Don't ask for the large one unless you are a total glutton.

You realise what forum this is, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maximusdecimus

matt the rashers in sundrive a bit out of the way but well worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

PaschalNee wrote:
    Bay Restaurant, Clontarf - good breakfast, not a greasy spoon.
    Ah yes, www.bay.ie . I've lost count of how many times I got that site instead of ebay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

da4i's wrote:
    Really out of the way, but in Dunshaughlin in meath, Fidelma's, the best fry EVER. i mean, people travel FROM dublin for their breakfeast. hmmmm i would love one right now... :(

My brother and his mate love going their for the auld fry up. Haven't been myself but must make the effort.

Del Rio's (chipper) down the bottom of Marlborough St. (the eden quay end)are quality. Can't remember the exact cost, but a takeaway one (2 rashers, 2 sausage, 3 white pudding, f/egg on a bap with your choice of sauce) is only €4.50. Much better than your average breakfast roll. The sit down brekkie is fantastic.

Also, there's a great liitle place off that street that the Glimmer man pub is on (can never remember the name of either of these two streets). €6 for a monster, with as much toast and tea/joe as you wish.

That one mentioned above on Parnell St. is poxy. They cook all the rashers for the next 45 mins or so at the same time and then store them on a hotplate/oven type thing. Hit and miss whether you get good ones or half-hour-old, rubber yokes that look like a rugby player's ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Matt the Rashers on Sundrive Road. The Famous Breakfast is great, slice of liver and all. It'll certainly set you up for the booze to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Del Rio's! couldn't remember the name; have to say I have searched high and low for 'the' best fryup and Del Rio's wins everytime, the best bacon, egg and chips anywhere, they also do a 'mixed grill' if you are verrrrrry hungry; eggs x 2, sausages x 2, rashers x 2, beans, pudding, chips, bread and butter, pork chops x 2, mushrooms, and of course a big mug of tea!

I am hungry now

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Thomas Reads on the corner of Dame Street and Parliament Street.
    Damn good fryup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Thomas Reads on the corner of Dame Street and Parliament Street.
    Damn good fryup!

Yore ma makes a good fryup.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭supersaint3

Anti wrote:
    Yore ma makes a good fryup.

GarthV and Anti - the first father-son posting team on beer guts?!? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've been living in Dublin about eighteen months now and I have to say I'm very disappointed with the poor quality of the capital's fry-ups. Can't think of a single decent fry-up experience. I'm afraid I'm going to have to recommend making a trip to the People's Republic (see? I managed to avoid saying 'the real capital'). Nash's on Prince's Street - a heavenly experience indeed.

Advertisement