Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's The Difference Between Atheism And Agnosticism ..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

the one thing that atheists *do* believe is that the children are our future; teach them well and let them lead the way. show them all the beauty they possess inside.

Indeed, which gives them a sense of pride.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

the one thing that atheists *do* believe is that the children are our future; teach them well and let them lead the way. show them all the beauty they possess inside.

Not sure you can say what atheists *do* believe in tbh. Cynically you could say that Catholics are also very invested in children being the future, though I daresay their vision of the future might differ from yours or mine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you need to not walk in anyone's shadow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

smacl wrote: »
    Not sure you can say what atheists *do* believe in tbh. Cynically you could say that Catholics are also very invested in children being the future, though I daresay their vision of the future might differ from yours or mine.

Well considering the past, I wonder what way we'd be now without religion ?

nthclare wrote: »

Who can say? Playing "what if" with past events can be very entertaining but really amounts to little more than speculative fantasy. Given the majority of societies have developed religion in some form or another over the course if their history I'd guess if we didn't have our current majority religion we'd have a different one. Societies that allow open criticism of religion are quite a new thing, but we still succumb to fake news and are bombarded with bullshít of one kind or another from those in power who want to stay in power. Personally I'm of the opinion that critical thinking should be part of the core curriculum at this point from primary school on, in much the same way as mindfulness is starting to be taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭A_Lost_Man

What is way of morality among atheist and agnostic. I mean if an atheist's mind start miss firing neurons what is a way to convince him that you lost track. Like there are atheists who in the hate of religion go to much wild they forget what they are doing is actually wrong. They are infact hurting people but think they are doing good like hitler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

A_Lost_Man wrote: »
    What is way of morality among atheist and agnostic. I mean if an atheist's mind start miss firing neurons what is a way to convince him that you lost track. Like there are atheists who in the hate of religion go to much wild they forget what they are doing is actually wrong. They are infact hurting people but think they are doing good like hitler.

As opposed to religious people who commit atrocities because other people don't agree with their interpretation of god?

I give you - just within Europe -
    The Albigensian Crusade.
    The Witchcraft 'Trials'
    The Inquisition.
    St Bartholomew's Day Massacre.

How do you convince them they have lost track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hitler was a theist and believed his actions to be divinely inspired. Obviously that is a very dangerous idea.

If I go off the deep end I'm just a lone nut, a convinced theist going off the deep end has doctrines and beliefs which others share to some extent and he/she may be able to convince fellow believers to join their cause and quote scripture to that effect.

The Abrahamic religious texts all contain exhortations to kill those of different or no belief.

How do you convince an unhinged theist that they've gone off track, when they're convinced that god himself is talking to him and telling him to kill catholics/protestants/jews/prostitutes/gays/muslims/atheists?

Atheists don't share a morality the same way as they don't share anything except non-belief in any gods - but most would subscribe to a greater or lesser extent to a humanistic view which basically amounts to don't be a dick.

There are plenty of theists who have shot up / blown up church congregations, I'm not aware of any atheists who have done so but please enlighten me if you can.

Scrap the cap!

nthclare wrote: »

Well, in Ireland, we'd have fewer raped kids for a start - and no kids who grew up in miserable institutions simply because they were "illegitimate".

Without the religious divide, the Ulster plantation would have ended up like the earlier ones - "more Irish than the Irish themselves"* - and we would have a peaceful all-island republic with a higher standard of living than either jurisdiction on this island does now.

That's one of the things that p1sses me off the most about religion, tbh - when the divisions it causes become political divisions.

* Before Banna corrects me, yes I know that phrase refers to the Normans :)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Kamu wrote: »
    Sorry, just as an aside, look at the article
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.space.com/amp/41968-quantum-entanglement-faster-than-light.html

Quantum entanglement cannot actually communicate faster then light.
    Yes, basically entangled things are correlated. Like two coins that always land the same way up. You can't use this to send information since the outcome of each coin flip is random. So if heads is 0 and tails is 1, you just get a random sequence 001000011...

It can be used to create a shared password though, since both parties with a coin know the outcomes.

More accurately entanglement is like flipping a pair of coins where if they're both flipped starting from heads or from different faces they'll land the same, but if both are flipped from tails they'll land differently. Such a pair of coins are correlated, but in a way too strong for determinism. The world is too interconnected for determinism.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    As opposed to religious people who commit atrocities because other people don't agree with their interpretation of god?

I give you - just within Europe -
    The Albigensian Crusade.
    The Witchcraft 'Trials'
    The Inquisition.
    St Bartholomew's Day Massacre.

How do you convince them they have lost track?
    Better ask them or post your question to christian forum. I am not here to justify their murder or convince them they have lost track. How to convince Communist who under the banner of atheistic government killed 60 m in the 20 through genocide. The Reign of Terror of the French Revolution made a goverment which was anti churchs during the Enlightenment it killed many christian believers.

Atheists don't share a morality the same way as they don't share anything except non-belief in any gods - but most would subscribe to a greater or lesser extent to a humanistic view which basically amounts to don't be a dick.

Are you trying to cover up Communism which is one of the most wellknown cases of atheism's ties to mass murder and French Revolution a inspired by the works of Diderot, Voltaire, Sade, and Rousseau.

Better ask them or post your question to christian forum. I am not here to justify their murder or convince them they have lost track. How to you convince Communist who killed 60 m in the 20 through genocide. The Reign of Terror of the French Revolution made a goverment which was anti churchs during the Enlightenment it killed many christian believers.

I see you managed to completely miss the point I was making.

Some people will find justification to kill. Some people will find justification to kill many many people.
    Those people may be atheists or religious - either way an 'excuse' for genocide can always be found. In it's simplest form that 'excuse' could be categorized as the victims of genocide are, in the minds of the killers, guilty of being 'wrong' in some way - that can be the 'wrong' race, 'wrong' colour, 'wrong' political ideology. 'wrong' religious belief. Or just in the 'wrong' place at the 'wrong' time - as Native Americans, Native Australians etc found out.

...and please read a decent history book on the French Revolution, and The Enlightenment. I put in a comma as they are two different things.

Are you trying to cover up Communism which is one of the most wellknown cases of atheism's ties to mass murder and French Revolution a inspired by the works of Diderot, Voltaire, Sade, and Rousseau.

Totally irrelevant to both the thread, and my post.

Scrap the cap!

Totally irrelevant to both the thread, and my post.

Not only irrelevant but incorrect.
    Voltaire, for example, believed monarchy was the best form of government - John Locke, whose name is conspicuously missing from this irrelevant list, on the other hand. Now he was a huge influence on the French (and American) Revolution. A topic, it would appear, this poster has only a superficial acquaintance with but seems determined to blame for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Atheists don't believe in God; agnostics believe that we cannot know either way if there is a god or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

branie2 wrote: »
    Atheists don't believe in God; agnostics believe that we cannot know either way if there is a god or not.
    Nope - neither of your definitions is fully accurate.

Atheist assert that one or more deities do not exist; it's unclear whether an atheist asserts that no deities of any kind exist, since not all have been defined. An agnostic asserts that it is not possible to know whether one or more deities exist; it's unclear whether an agnostic asserts that is not possible to know whether one or more deities, defined or undefined, do not exist.

The two terms don't really include or exclude each other to any significant degree, nor, by any stretch of the imagination, do they combine to cover all possibilities concerning the existence of one or more deities, defined or undefined, nor knowledge concerning same.

Both terms cause endless confusion, neither is very clear, both are regularly misused by just about everybody, and should really be universally clarified or lobbed into the great dustbin of history and replaced with something more accurate. Same goes for the term "god", btw.

There are some afters affect of religion left in almost every atheist. They pretend to atheist on foram but in reality there is a religious guy inside them. How they ignore / and cheat their inner self. Like there are atheist who marry in churches using christian customs but on forums they becomes atheist. Is it some kind hypocrisy. In school as customs their children read story of Jesus and believe in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

There are some afters affect of religion left in almost every atheist. They pretent to atheist on foram but in reality there is a religious guy inside them. How they ignore / and cheat they inner self. Like there are atheist who marry in churches using christian customs but on forums they becomes atheist. Is it some kind hypocrisy. In school as customs their children read story of Jesus and believe in them.

You mean these Christian traditions copied from ancient pagan traditions?

You mean these Christian traditions copied from ancient pagan traditions?
    yes.

• Advertisement

There are some afters affect of religion left in almost every atheist. They pretend to atheist on foram but in reality there is a religious guy inside them. How they ignore / and cheat their inner self. Like there are atheist who marry in churches using christian customs but on forums they becomes atheist. Is it some kind hypocrisy. In school as customs their children read story of Jesus and believe in them.

Depends very much on their upbrining. My maternal grandmother for example was an Austrian jew who fled to England to escape the Nazis and my mother was raised atheist. My father left Ireland in his late teens, joined the merchant navy and was also a life long atheist. Myself and my wife are both atheist and our kids are second or third generation atheists depending which side of the family tree you follow. There's no little hidden Christian inside them. While many atheists of my generation would have been considered lapsed Catholics in days of yore, many of my kids peers are also second generation atheists. Yes, the churches are still (ab)using the school system to force feed them religion, but the message at home is it is rubbish and we're starting to see a generation raised atheist.

They pretend to atheist on foram

Yes, but how is babby formed?
    but in reality there is a religious guy inside them.

Ah. :)

It's like a less grammatically correct realdanbreen.

Going into a church or even having a religious marriage does not make one a theist.

The latter isn't something I'd do myself, and the former is something I avoid as far as possible, but there are plenty of cultural / familial reasons to do these things.

We are still living in a religion-soaked society even if it's unlikely that a majority of people actually believe in god. Just switch on RTE1 at 5:59 and get back to me...

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement