Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Marriage Equality - Needs to be an election issue for the DUP. Not just petitions.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can't see marriage equality happening anytime soon with DUP now putting Tories in power.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Pride flag flying outside Stormont house on August 4th, authorised by NI secretary James Brokenshire :)

_97213491_pacemaker_pride_flag_flies_at_stormont_house_03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

That's great to hear. No doubt the DUP bigots were there protesting as well, as they always do. But I have a question - why were the Gardai marching in Belfast? Surely NI is not their jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

JupiterKid wrote: »
    That's great to hear. No doubt the DUP bigots were there protesting as well, as they always do. But I have a question - why were the Gardai marching in Belfast? Surely NI is not their jurisdiction.

I'd imagine it's part of a cross-border initiative to foster good relationships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So? You don't need to have the status of a police officer to participate in a Pride parade.

Officially, most likely, they would have been invited by their opposite numbers in the PSNI and they would be there as guests. A Garda contingent marching in a pride parade in NI is no different than a PSNI team playing in a football game in the Republic.

The Deputy Chief Constable of the PSNI invited U.K. forces and the Gardai.

I think it was a subtle showing of solidarity for the Gardai who are not allowed march in uniform in pride parades here in the Republic

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That's the thing Joey, Gardai would still need permission from here to go up there. Guess things are changing here too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Talks between Sinn Fein and the DUP with a view to forming a government have ended in failure. The reason is due to an inability to agree on a number of key issues, including same sex marriage
    Michelle O'Neill (SF)
    Over the last 10 months, the focus of these negotiations has been on the delivery of rights which are the norm everywhere else on these islands...

Many of these rights are fundamental parts of the Good Friday and other agreements. They are for the benefit of all sections of society and threaten no-one...

Furthermore, marriage equality, language rights, the Bill of Rights and the right to coroners inquests are supported by a majority in the assembly and in wider society.

http://www.newstalk.com/Westminster-moves-to-impose-budget-on-Stormont

• Advertisement

A bill is being debated in Westminster today that states if the Stormont assembly is not up and running g by October 21st then Westminter can legislate same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland to bring it in line with the rest of the UK re ssm

Hopefully this will pass.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2019/0708/1060814-same-sex-marriage-ni/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It passed!
    Same-sex marriage and abortion to be legalised in North if no power-sharing by 21 October https://jrnl.ie/4717703

Very exciting!

Delighted, let's see if the DUP start making concessions to Sinn Fein in order to get Stormont up and running so they can ban this.

My money says they won't, they'll take it on the chin because they can say they never voted for it, Britain did :D

But Sinn Fein won't agree to form a new executive if it leaves it open to a DUP veto on this issue!!!!

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Very happy to see this. If not for us, for how much it'll piss the DUP off.

2 days before bonfire night too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

But Sinn Fein won't agree to form a new executive if it leaves it open to a DUP veto on this issue!!!!

DUP are three short to veto this and the UUP have said they won't help them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Delighted, let's see if the DUP start making concessions to Sinn Fein in order to get Stormont up and running so they can ban this.

My money says they won't, they'll take it on the chin because they can say they never voted for it, Britain did :D

Agreed, but the image of Arlene Foster having a complete sh*tfit over the predicament she now finds herself in is just so.... satisfying.

I hope she has an awesome 12th of July :cool:

Nothing like the thought that LGBT people might be getting one over on them to get the DUP back to work

They're already looking for ways to sabotage the legislation by tabling their own amendments to the bill
    Three DUP Lords – Lord Morrow, Lord Browne of Belmont, and Lord McCrea of Magherafelt and Cookstown – have tabled an amendment on marriage “requiring the Secretary of State to issue statutory guidance supporting freedom of expression and freedom of conscience in educational institutions in relation to beliefs about the definition of marriage”.

This would allow businesses and organisations to discriminate against same-sex couples by not letting them avail of their products or services.

Peers Lords Cormack and Trimble have tabled a second amendment which extends the deadline to April 10, 2020.

Baroness O’Loan and DUP Lord Hay of Ballymore have tabled an amendment which states that the secretary of state for Northern Ireland must conduct a consultation with Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs) in Northern Ireland before taking any action.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahalothman/peers-derail-same-sex-abortion

I presume this is the same Lord Trimble who is in the papers right now saying how he had done a personal U-Turn on his opinion of LGBT marriage since his daughter just married her partner

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-49004816

Only 3 weeks to go :)

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

I shed a few tears this morning watching the NI celebrations last night and reading horrific stories of the 80s about women travelling.

Terry Pratchet

About time, both SSM and access to abortion had majority support across NI for many years. DUP simply using their minority veto to frustrate the process over and over again. Funny how they were all (symbolically) ready to go back to work on Monday - that really was just a cheap shot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Absolutely delighted that same-sex marriage and the right of women to control their bodies has belatedly and finally come to Northern Ireland. :) I was born in Belfast and my family are from NI so this means a lot to me personally.

The DUP bigots - who do not represent the majority of the populace in the North and were drunk on power the past couple of years - have reaped what they sowed given their hypocritical positions on the (still suspended) Stormont Assembly and Brexit. They have only themselves to blame.

I love this picture :D

derry-wedding-northern-ireland.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

EPIC!

Advertisement