Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand season passes (questions too)

Options
  • 05-03-2008 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

The New Zealand season ski passes are on sale for early bird types until midnight their time tonight. Gonna snap one up me thinks as Canada as all but fallen through. Oh well.
    Just a question; full pass for around €470 versus Queenstown pass for around €370. Only difference is access to Mt. Hutt. Is it worth the extra dough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Deadline passed. Got the full pass for €490 including injury refund option. Anyone else off here heading there for the '08 season? I presume I'll be happy with the hastiest decision I have ever made? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm hoping to head out there this year, but dependant on how many holidays I have spare and if I can convince my freinds out there that heading to the mountains is a good idea or not.

The joys of contract work! No worries for me, just a matter of saving and getting a damn visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tri111

Guys,

What's the skiing scene like in NZ as I'm thinking of heading there myself this summer (their winter)?

When is the best time to go?
    What are the best resorts for beginners/intermediates (1 weeks experience on snow)?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

New Zealand is awesome, full stop! I love the place.

Did a season in Cardrona in 2005 and Ive been dying to get back ever since!
    Might even try and swing down in August for a month, cash willing.

@tri11 All the major resorts would suit beginners, the only real question when it comes to the South Island is Queenstown or Wanaka, where you'll live essentially.

Accomodation is the hardest thing to find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Very jealous Don1, I wanted to get out there myself this year but when it looked financially unfeasible I settled for the week in France.

Still, not a doubt in my mind I'll get there eventually!

Just thinkin, should I lug my board and newly purchsed bindings and all the rest of my gear to the othe side of the world or should I sell up and by new gear over there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What kind of luggage allowance would you get for that trip? I'd expect that taking your board etc with you would severly limit how much other stuff you can take with you and for a season I'd guess your wanting to take a bit more than for a week in the alps.

If there is an address of someone you know already out there then might be worth looking into using FedEx or similar to send the board, etc, out in advance?

No idea on luggage restrictions. Good thinking on the courier style way. Might see if I could stick it in with the machines the company I work with will be sending.........

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

USIT are the lads for the flights. Get their round the world ticket. You get two pieces of luggage up to 32kg each. I booked it late and flew through the states on the way back and payed about1,500 euro for it but friends who went direct to and from NZ and booked earlier paid 999 euro!!

Also, read this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055206036

• Advertisement

Return flights to Auckland via London and Singapore I think are around the €1000 mark I think. A friend mentioned it in passing the other day.
    Visa is €60 or so.
    Thunderbirds are go, once I get paid........

Who were you seeing the €1000ish flights with? When I was looking again a few weeks back they were more like €1600 upwards.

At least I could save 60 notes though as I don't need a visa, still have to figure out if I'll have enough holidays or not yet though.

Not sure as it was a friend looking them up. As soon as I can find out more I'll get back on it.

Seems that middle of July to middle of August dates that I had been looking at the prices double and are currently around the €1800 + mark. Going from about the 18th August they come down significantly and looks like could get them for about €800 ish. The 26 hours on a plane without stopping would be "fun" though.

I'm guessing they would they still be good for snow down there until the end of September?

According to nzski.con the season is June to late October. :D
    I'll be flying out at the end of May and not coming back until December at the earliest!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 miccla

anyone know much about the job scene over there ? would working to support urself once you get there be possible or would a lot of savings be needed to survive ? ( i would be willing to eat stale bread for months as my only food if it comes to it so surviving can be taken loosely )

I have no idea. A mate of mine down there is "sorting me out" so I don't know. I aim to have as much dough as possible going to keep work to a minimum!

miccla wrote: »
    anyone know much about the job scene over there ? would working to support urself once you get there be possible or would a lot of savings be needed to survive ? ( i would be willing to eat stale bread for months as my only food if it comes to it so surviving can be taken loosely )

You can get jobs all right, but the good ones go early, it also depends on if your going to Queenstown or Wanaka. You get paid roughly 10 NZD per hour, which is feck all really.

If your going for the snow, don't forget you will need a season pass, which costs me roughly 1000 NZD about 2 years ago. You will also need transport to get up and down the mountain, the return bus use to cost 35 NZD per day which made a car more economical.

If you have Bar experience you should be ok, because you can work in the evenings. I wouldn't go over though with the idea of "working your way"
    because it can be very difficult to get a job and its not that cheap to live. You also could end up having to work through the day, not getting on the mountain very much and all the while your living in poor accommodation.

I don't want to put a downer on the plan but if you can try and bank roll it, you should roughly get twice what ever money you bring over, so if you worked for 3 months solid before you went and saved all that money that could support you for 5 months of NOT working in NZ. Even apart from the snow there is so much to see and do in New Zealand its a fantastic country. My view was that if I'm going to go half way around the world I want to take in as much as I can and get the most out of it. Last time I ended up coming back 5K in debt but to be honest I didn't care, it was worth every penny.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm also heading to NZ this winter,work visa permitting, i should be fine, i worked on Coronet Peak last season and they're sponsoring me so fingers crossed. Hoping for a bit more snow than there was last season :)

You will also need transport to get up and down the mountain, the return bus use to cost 35 NZD per day which made a car more economical.
    You had me a bit confused with that comment before as I was wondering why you didn't just stay in a hotel or whatever closer to the lifts, but I had just ignored my confusion and carried on. After a bit more investigation is seems that they don't actually have any "resorts" like you'd find in Europe in New Zealand as there isn't actually anything at the point at which you'd be getting on the lifts and everyone stays in towns much further down the mountain which is a bit different.

Due to the wanting to get around the country a bit and meeting up with some freinds down their I was thinking of getting a car to get around the place easier. But then I came across some options for transport that include bed in the back, ski rack and lift passes for the major ski areas from Skiwi. So thinking I might do something like that, take in a few different areas, and depending on the weather try some heli-skiing as well if my credit card allows. :D

• Advertisement

Don1 wrote: »
    Just thinkin, should I lug my board and newly purchsed bindings and all the rest of my gear to the othe side of the world or should I sell up and by new gear over there?
    Done a bit more investigation on this and with Air New Zealand it seems to depend on if you are flying clockwise or not as to how good a deal you might be able to get with lugging skis/ board half way round the world. From trying to decode this page and then the one that actually gives the prices for excess I think I've almost figured it out:
    Air New Zealand oversized baggage details

If your flight goes via Hong Kong then you get a total allowance of 20kg, but if you are taking sporting equipment as well then you get an extra 10kg for free. You are then charged £33 GBP per kilogram over that increased 30kg limit.

If your flight goes via LA then you can have 2 bags each weighing 23kg as standard, total 46kg. To have an extra bag then it costs £150 GBP, I assume that bag also has a limit of 23kg. If you only have two bags, but they go over the 46kg limit then it is £50 GBP per kg over. If you go one way via LA and the other way via Hong Kong then the piece system (LA) applies to the full journey.

If I have actually decoded that all correctly then you can get a total limit of 69kg :eek: for £150 extra going via LA, and I really doubt anyone actually wants to be carrying that much stuff with them. I think I'd be able to get skis/ boots/ everything else easily into three bags for under 30kg going via Hong Kong, but a lot of the flights seems to be coming up in the search at the moment for via LA which would cost the extra £150 regardless of weight due to having the extra bag.

If your a boarder and have a bag that will take boots/ board and whatever else you can stuff in then your best off going via LA.
    If your a skiier so have ski bag, boot bag and another bag then your better off going via Hong Kong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭photo_gaa

nz is great....

and the warehouse!!

Well I've booked my flights now. :D

Just shy of €1300 for the return flights arriving in Auckland last week of August and back from Christchurch middle of September, and going via Hong Kong so that I don't have to pay extra for taking my ski's all the way with me. Now have to work out where/ what/ when I can get up to out there, but should be able to fit a good few days in at Queenstown seeing as there looks to be a decent amount of skiing to be had nearby and plenty of other stuff to get up to as well.

Make sure you go to FergBurger when your in Queenstown, its a culinary delight! I use to travel from Wanaka to QT just for one :)

The ICE bar is also good for a once off experience.

Have you sorted out accomodation?

I read something about the ICE bar I think, vodka shots from glasses made of ice and they give you a coat to put on before going in so you don't get cold. Aparently not the kind of place you'd stay for more than one round though.

For accomodation I think I'm going to go for a campervan as I'm going to be travelling about a bit other than just staying in ski resort type places as well. Just I'm still half thinking of getting a car though for the slightly easier driving but that does not seem to be a huge amount cheaper than a van and means I'd have to pack/ un-pack every time I move on and I think I'd like to have the option of being lazier than that.

Yeah, Camper vans can save you a few pound but you still have to keep them in the campsites overnight and would also probably still have to pay for a bus up and down the mountain. (Not putting a downer on the idea, just making sure you don't get hit with extra costs)

You should also get in contact with the Camper van companies when you get to all the major towns, they very often have deals going where they give you 10 days to get from Queenstown to Auckland or something like that. You pay for the petrol and ferry and they give you the camper van for free. At the end of our trip we travailed around NZ South and North island and it worked out really cheaply, they give you plenty of time to make the trip so you get to make a lot of stop offs along the way, the camper vans can be 4 or 6 berth which is massive for 1, 2 or 3 people.

If you do decide to rent make sure you bargain with the Rental Crowd because you will have the car for so long, we got a reduced rate from 60 to 35 per day, also make sure you get the insurance with roof racks and snow chains.

Damn financial crisis is delaying me getting flights big time. :mad: Still going, I hope. Just need to sell stuff..............

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What's accommodation like here? is it hard to find? Really want to do it as part of a round the world trip in summer 09...

Flights booked. 8th of June out, 2nd of December back. €1000~ with Quantas from London to Chrsitchurch via Sydney, for a fuel stop. Just need a flght to and from Heathrow now.
    Have to start thinking what board to get now. Thinking go all out and get a Rome Solution or similar as I'll be on it all season and I intend on getting damn good! :D
    Should be between three and seven of us there for the season. Oh yeah!

edit: cheesedude, I have no idea man, I'm staying with a mate of mine.

• Advertisement

I booked all the way thorugh with AirNZ and they use BMI for the Dublin - Heathrow leg. Watch out for your baggage allowance on that leg now though as booking flights seperately you could end up with having to pay an excess on one leg, I'd say not to use BA though so as to avoid loosing your bags in T5.

Definately go for the fanciest board you can find for the money though, the amount of use you'll be getting out of it I'd say will be worth it.

Advertisement