Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand/ AUS!!!

Options
  • 24-12-2007 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, well i absolutely love skiing and would love to do a whole season but that never work out because of college (taking a yr out not an option) so i was just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips about maybe going down under during the summer months for most of their season (best resorts, whether i'd be able to get a job easily enough while I'm there, etc.)
    Thanks!:):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

Hi, I did a season in NZ after sitting my finals. I have never skied on AUS but heard all round it isn't as good, so based on that, I'd say definitely go for New Zealand.

First thing first: I went and had a ball, great party, improved my skiing loads and would even think about going back if the chance ever comes up again. BUT IT ISN'T THE ALPS. I met a few other Irish who came out hearing that the skiing was great. The 3 valleys has about 25,000 acres of skiable terrain and goes from about 1500m to about 3000m. Coronet Peak has 600 skiable acres and goes from 1200m to 1650m and the snow tends is not remotely as reliable. The skiing is still great but you wouldn't go there to go exploring different villages or mountain top restaurants, you would go because you want to ski (or board)! If you are going to ski this isn't a problem and you would love it.

I had a great time and would highly recommend it for any snow junkies and makes an excellent alternative to a J1.

On the North island, all the skiing centres around one tall Volcano: Mt Ruapehu. There are two (I think) ski fields on that mountain and apparently they are the largest in NZ.

On the South Island are tonnes of smaller ski fields but the plus side is they get snowed on more often and the snow is known to be softer.

I went to Queenstown and skied Coronet Peak and the Remarkables http://www.nzski.com/. The season pass is super cheap especially if bought early enough (like cheaper than the season pass in Kilternan when I got mine), so check out when they start selling them and how long you have before the price goes up. Do not get the NZ super pass as Mt Hutt is a 7 hour drive away, all you want is a Queenstown pass.

Other good options are Mt Hutt (good skiing but Methven , the resort town at the bottom of the hill is all hicksville and tumbleweed, not fun). Wanaka is a better resort town and has better skiing (cordrona, treble cone and the infamous snowparknz (it's just a park)) but still isn't quite party central. Queenstwon is the stuff for partying (like I went to ski but would go back just for the craic) but has very slightly less to offer in skiing (especially for freestyle, although it has apparently improved remarkably in this regard). Unless hiking for miles off piste and steep couloirs is your only buzz, Queenstown is definitely a better place for a summer season out of college. I would go to Queenstown for both skiing and the atmosphere if I ever went back (since there is a lot of racing in Coronet Peak and that is what I am into).

There are also tonnes of smaller fields that I know nothing about.

Jobs: The visa is super easy and cheap to get off the web, direct from the NZ government office in charge of that thing, no need to go through USIT. I got the visa and wasted it since there were no jobs and no accommodation left when I got to Queenstown at the start of July, which leads me to my next point: get there before the snow at the start of June and get ahead of the rush for jobs and accom: it will work out cheaper in the end.

The lack of jobs in Qtown was due to the terrible season the year before (so no Aussie tourists booked ski holidays there). Once news of the amazing snow we were getting sank in, the crowds came and the jobs came too, but at that stage I had made other arrangements to support myself (digging into savings, which i had hoped not to do) so it's all a bit of a mixed bag from that point of view but I think the year I went was the worst for jobs (06).

Also, unless you are going on a shoe string, definitely look into http://www.skiinstructortraining.co.nz/ for getting an instructorship. I did and had loads of fun, changed my skiing completely and set me up for a job in Whistler the next Northern season which meant working on the hill to pay for my season.

Definitely go though, I probably have spent too much time concentrating on the one or two minor down sides rather than the enormous array of upsides. Just do it!

Advertisement