Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

blackwhite wrote: »
    That's the case for American sports - not for rugby.
    There are actually bans in rugby that prohibit all involvement in the sport. Drugs bans would be one, and iirc Trevor Brennan was banned for life from all participation following his attacking a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There are actually bans in rugby that prohibit all involvement in the sport. Drugs bans would be one, and iirc Trevor Brennan was banned for life from all participation following his attacking a fan.

The drugs bans are mandated by WADA and apply in all sports in a similar manner. There's the concept of "prohibited association" regarding pretty much any dealings with someone serving a drugs ban - so if someone did train whilst serving a drugs ban, everyone else involved in the session would be risking sanction from WADA also.

Brennan's lifetime ban (reduced to 5 years on appeal) was for playing only - his age meant that even the 5 year ban was enough to end his career. In addition ERC banned him from any participation in ERC competitions - but wouldn't cover training or anything like that. Brennan was active in coaching underage teams in Toulouse following his retirement (and I'm fairly sure during the period of his ban as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Coaches have been known to step in to training - including Ciaran Ruddock even getting blocks strapped on for lineouts. They're not registered players let alone registered squad members for the RWC.

I highly doubt Akis ban excludes him from training if these guys can step in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Coaches have been known to step in to training - including Ciaran Ruddock even getting blocks strapped on for lineouts. They're not registered players let alone registered squad members for the RWC.

Just curious, what does that mean?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Just curious, what does that mean?

It's the taping you see around lock's thighs (and some backrows) with grips (the blocks) for lifting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

prawnsambo wrote: »

There used to be a complete ban for players who committed the ultimate heresy, i.e. took the devil's gold and switched to Rugby league.

Older readers will remember the late Kenny Goodall who got this treatment before being re-instated by the IRFU following the introduction of professional rugby union.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

World Rugby's Alan Gilpin has refuted suggestions made by a Mr. S. Jones, an alleged journalist. This was in regard to the supposed representations the IRFU made to WR in relation to the Scotland v Japan 'cancellation' game.

No surprise.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

OldRio wrote: »
    World Rugby's Alan Gilpin has refuted suggestions made by a Mr. S. Jones, an alleged journalist. This was in regard to the supposed representations the IRFU made to WR in relation to the Scotland v Japan 'cancellation' game.

No surprise.
    Speaking at a World Cup Post Pool Media Briefing in Tokyo on Monday, Alan Gilpin, the tournament director and World Rugby’s Chief Operating Officer addressed the issue in his opening remarks about the decision to cancel rather than rearrange other fixtures including New Zealand v Italy and England v France on Saturday on safety grounds as the super typhoon hit Japan and swept through a huge swathe of the country, killing more than 70 people and causing widespread damage.

“While we had appropriate discussions with a number of unions, no decisions were based on pressure from any particular unions,” Gilpin said.

“And it’s also important to clarify that we did not have those discussions with Ireland.”

so they they discuss with unions... but irelands IRFU wasnt one of them....

thats as definitive as can be.... awaiting your grovelling apology now Mr Jones.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so they they discuss with unions... but irelands IRFU wasnt one of them....

thats as definitive as can be.... awaiting your grovelling apology now Mr Jones.

Will be waiting a long time for an apology for that hate-filled waste of space.

I'd love the hear that the IRFU have taken legal action against him - but I doubt they actually would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Maybe you could set him an example by apologising to me for the misleading info that you posted in response to my Olding post on the French rugby thread least week?

Or are you, like Mr. Jones, too important to apologise when you make a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Portsalon wrote: »
    Maybe you could set him an example by apologising to me for the misleading info that you posted in response to my Olding post on the French rugby thread least week?

Misleading =/= out and out lie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's reported in at least 2 papers I've read too. Maybe it's a thing, it seems stupid though if it is, unless its some sort of gross misconduct or doping ban.

It would seem perfectly reasonable too for coaches to step in. There was no mention of such a ban for Hodge though

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's reported in at least 2 papers I've read too. Maybe it's a thing, it seems stupid though if it is, unless its some sort of gross misconduct or doping ban.

It would seem perfectly reasonable too for coaches to step in. There was no mention of such a ban for Hodge though

Other than doping, and the historic "Professionalism" cases, the only other one I can think of that might have resulted in a type of all-encompassing ban was Bloodgate; fairly sure that the ban that Richards received was from all management and coaching activities. Can't find anything anywhere that mentions if he was also banned from lacing up the boots and playing a bit of vets rugby :pac:

Portsalon wrote: »

It's not really a mistake situation. He probably had some information about WR talking to Unions and decided to use the situation to have yet another go at Ireland. Now the Telegraph readership right now are probably happy enough and don't appear to have standards anymore, so I don't imagine he will face consequences - but in a different era he'd lost his job over this and still should.

It's a bare faced lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What I don’t understand is that Ireland and New Zealand set to benefit least of everyone bar Scotland from that game not going ahead. How stupid is this man? If you’re going to lie would it not make sense to pick even slightly believable targets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It's not really a mistake situation. He probably had some information about WR talking to Unions and decided to use the situation to have yet another go at Ireland. Now the Telegraph readership right now are probably happy enough and don't appear to have standards anymore, so I don't imagine he will face consequences

Its those troublesome Irish who are sticking a spanner in the works and spoiling Brexit and the return to a Great Britain that is able to restore the best aspects of the Empire and end being held back and controlled by continentals, so you couldnt put it past the sneaky Irish to do something like that in the rugger either.

It's not really a mistake situation. He probably had some information about WR talking to Unions and decided to use the situation to have yet another go at Ireland. Now the Telegraph readership right now are probably happy enough and don't appear to have standards anymore, so I don't imagine he will face consequences - but in a different era he'd lost his job over this and still should.

It's a bare faced lie.

Jones doesn't write for the Telegraph

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rob Herring is flying out to Japan to replace the injured Sean Cronin.

Nothing of note came out after the release of Jamie Heaslip's book? Usually something slightly scandalous gets revealed, like POC knocking someone out in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Nothing of note came out after the release of Jamie Heaslip's book? Usually something slightly scandalous gets revealed, like POC knocking someone out in training.

Someone would have to read it to find out if there's anything scandalous.

I'm sure it's a great book in all seriousness.

I've yet to read an autobiography of a sportsperson. I dunno why but I can't imagine it could be that interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've yet to read an autobiography of a sportsperson. I dunno why but I can't imagine it could be that interesting.

Very few are. Most are early days in school. Get picked for club, province, country. A couple of anecdotes about former players. Finish up with how they are adjusting to life after the game.
    Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sports biographies are amongst the worst reads available.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tony cascarinos is very good.

And while not an autobiography, castel de sangro is a great sports book about a relatively unknown sports story

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spr1ngsteen

Tony cascarinos is very good.

And while not an autobiography, castel de sangro is a great sports book about a relatively unknown sports story

Andre Agassi's one is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Andre Agassi's one is excellent

Yeah not a bad one. Comes across as a bit of an asshole in parts of it which is actually a credit to the book.
    (Given that it's an autobiography :))

Paul McGraths would be one of the better ones I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

kuang1 wrote: »
    Yeah not a bad one. Comes across as a bit of an asshole in parts of it which is actually a credit to the book.
    (Given that it's an autobiography :))

Paul McGraths would be one of the better ones I've read.

Agassi's is very good. As is Mike Tyson's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Trevor Brennan's book was the best rugby bio I've read. I thought Paul O'Connell's was possibly the worst, but Peter Stringer and BOD weren't far behind.

Not really the same, but I would always recommend 'Engage', the bio of Matt Hampson. Absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Trevor Brennan's book was the best rugby bio I've read. I thought Paul O'Connell's was possibly the worst, but Peter Stringer and BOD weren't far behind.

Not really the same, but I would always recommend 'Engage', the bio of Matt Hampson. Absolutely brilliant.

It's been a while since I read it, but Jonny Wilkinson's bio was very good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement