Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Park and Ride

Options
  • 24-11-2015 6:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Think Galway city council are correct by encouraging people to use the park and ride system over the Christmas period rather than offering free city centre parking like Limerick. Last thing we need is more cars in the city centre. Does anyone know how much the park and ride costs? Hopefully it's free or else it's a money making scam out of GCC

http://jrnl.ie/2464176

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Last year it was EUR3 return

http://www.galwaycity.ie/park-and-ride-2/

No details yet on this years setup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Last year it was €3 all in, parking, 2 bus journeys.
    Yet still people drove into town and whined & moaned about being stuck in their tin box surrounded by other tin boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yet still people drove into town and whined & moaned about being stuck in their tin box surrounded by other tin boxes
    but laugh at people trying to park their tin box in a bean can space..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Last year it was EUR3 return

http://www.galwaycity.ie/park-and-ride-2/

No details yet on this years setup.

Chances are it runs a tidy profit for the fat cats in city halls Christmas shindig

If they very serious abt reducing the number of cars in the city centre around the festive period they'd have it available for free

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A guess is that if they don't charge the taxpayer would to pick up the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Chances are it runs a tidy profit for the fat cats in city halls Christmas shindig

If they very serious abt reducing the number of cars in the city centre around the festive period they'd have it available for free

Galway City Council's Adopted Annual Budget 2015 is available here: http://www.galwaycity.ie/uploads/downloads/budgets_financials/AdoptedBudget2015.pdf

The text of this says "Continuation of Christmas Park & Ride & provision of free parking initiative in advance of same. " (page 12)

The budget tables do not include any specific numbers for it though.

I can remember seeing mid-year newspaper articles about the final cost to the council being around 20k - but google isn't finding them for me at the moment.

It does seem odd that the Christmas Market has been open for a week, but there's not been any mention of the P&R, and that the council's website still has the 2014 service information on it.

I will be scrutinising tomorrow's GalwayInfo (and I have a P&R info post alll ready to go - just need to slot the relevant facts into it).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

If they were serious about reducing the number of cars in the city they would remove car parking spaces from the city centre and move them permanently to Park and Ride sites.

Nothing in today's Indo.

If there's nothing in the Advertiser, I'll pop some questions on Twitter tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It runs from Dec 5th until 23rd. So a bit later this year, but otherwise it seems the same. Might be extended this year to the New Year but that's not certain yet.

It's €3 and will run also from the 28th to the 3rd.

• Advertisement

g1pNHEVEIQFZBIWvl5T11z5ckVUXAP6sSKmUV1EVyTAdiLkQPyctf5btHjealRHkEkeKPLLMxDAsGm0saLLwJqarcX9IksO2gMVoQmJ5b6JCs8EbnnQN5fV6ZzEhWwZhynogpP4o6AAm-MVTZpfRlTkF1ZdCfnkYeLAsIbuH4fF_5K1rRRjrEpVhyZ41MxzNu7xdMu9Owcfblgavvx8k9O9MWgpxcig0EQsELFxZl4zqDzCe9sW4yDpp4xlE17qyGTdUfya5OFV6CoS4yyYifBVSTZqnyuaf5eT2IwbuPwJKvYesuStZEGs-YfbIBXGWrBxoFMGf1tCtFEnrTpZJ2qC2H-JKoYc5YhEsI8GLz7YgPi27r4129MPV9Ujeda4DTwhr9-hVywDaAsEDW4OlCFNn1IeW6BfU1wEGfd9o_1L6H_gvHeoVos2EqOAbpzu17iG-WD-hgkZhdfwgQxIR4cmbxmpv3qt2lBxVRp5PBTtaTSICD2DYHcfxZ7pIttk7jJmmq2NyJh-pDxIqSY8h_-iD4p8Ycv90fGhRpL7HCAwp=w636-h737-no

So I'd expect the publicity to be in next week's paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Don't see why it's not run year round.

snubbleste wrote: »

Why would I want to have the hassle of going out of my way to a park and ride when I can drive straight into town coupled with having to carry stuff around all day when shopping rather than drop things back to the car or have to carry a heap of stuff onto a bus. That leaving out the fact you might be be buying things that are too heavy to carry.

I don't know why anyone would want to use park and ride.

Why would I want to have the hassle of going out of my way to a park and ride when I can drive straight into town coupled with having to carry stuff around all day when shopping rather than drop things back to the car or have to carry a heap of stuff onto a bus. That leaving out the fact you might be be buying things that are too heavy to carry.

I don't know why anyone would want to use park and ride.

Well primarily to discourage car commuting to town for work in addition to offering shoppers an alternative to the car, then look at making certain streets bus only.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Well primarily to discourage car commuting to town for work in addition to offering shoppers an alternative to the car, then look at making certain streets bus only.

Except most people want their car with them not parked in a park and ride somewhere outside town.

Except most people want their car with them not parked in a park and ride somewhere outside town.

So? I want a gold plated toilet but it's probably not on the cards. Galway has to start taking measures to reduce the amount of cars coming in. Park and rides and car bans on most streets would go someway towards sorting this out.

So? I want a gold plated toilet but it's probably not on the cards. Galway has to start taking measures to reduce the amount of cars coming in. Park and rides and car bans on most streets would go someway towards sorting this out.

Or do the sensible thing and get the bypass started ASAP so only cars that need to be in the city are and others can go around. It's a step backwards for society to be forced onto buses, closing streets etc when we have cars to bring us around. Cars are the only suitable mode of transport for most people travelling in from outside the city and its totally impractical for most to use a park and ride instead of driving close to their destination.

Yawn. I'll be back when I have some more P&R details to share with those that want them.

Arguments with car-addicts are so yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Don't see why it's not run year round.

Ya agree. York in the UK have all year round Park and Ride. Could be a model to follow. Galway City is about half the size of York population wise, but Galway is main regional centre in the West of Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_park_and_ride
    http://www.yorkparkandride.co.uk/index.php

It's a step backwards for society to be forced onto buses, closing streets etc when we have cars to bring us around.

:eek:

Wow, just wow. No wonder Ireland is so backwards.

• Advertisement

It's €3 and will run also from the 28th to the 3rd.

A lot more people would avail of this if it was free But Galway city council would never show that kind of initiative.

A lot more people would avail of this if it was free But Galway city council would never show that kind of initiative.

More likely they simply can't afford it. They're barely coping as it is and finding money for anything means robbing it from somewhere else.

More likely they simply can't afford it. They're barely coping as it is and finding money for anything means robbing it from somewhere else.

They just gave another €240,000 to finish a art house cinema which they've all ready poured millions into. A vanity project by some counsellors. There's no shortage of cash in city hall

http://www.thejournal.ie/picture-palace-galwayarthouse-cinema-2401811-Oct2015/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They just gave another €240,000 to finish a art house cinema which they've all ready poured millions into. A vanity project by some counsellors. There's no shortage of cash in city hall
    And don't forget €250k for a festival despite the fact that there are people sleeping on streets

How would it be financed? higher taxation?

How would it be financed? higher taxation?

If one of these highly paid councillors should some initiative and creativity it could be easily done

They didn't want to if you've been paying attention to the actual story, most Councillors think that the Arthouse cinema is a disgraceful waste of money.

But it plays a bit part in the capital of culture bid, which is worth millions and millions to Galway if we are successful in that bid.

And they didn't just 'give' it - City Council have a very limited budget to work with, it's not a magic well. Giving 240K to the Picture Palace takes 240K from elsewhere - other community groups, public services, whatever. It's a balancing act.

So I would not say that the picture palace and what's riding on it are exactly comparable with a subsidized park and ride scheme.

Giving 240K to the Picture Palace takes 240K from elsewhere - other community groups, public services, whatever. It's a balancing act. .

Whatever it takes to win the city of culture? I'm sure the homeless and other coummunity group could do some real good with extra monies in their budject but instead it's been squandered on some vanity project. Glad to see people of Galway have their priorities in the right place. Galway can be greedy, it wants everything, has enough going on with all the festivals throughout the summers, we should let another part of our beautiful country showcase their talents but we are greedy in galway and it's for this reason I hope the three sisters or Limerick win the bid

This is a park and ride thread I'm sure there's a city of culture thread somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

there is a car park at oranmore train stop.
    people on that side of town should use the train. at least it goes straight to eyre sq in 5 minutes and not stuck in traffic.
    looking at site its 9 euro return with 10 journeys either direction a day.

imo this should fulfill any park and ride.

• Advertisement

Whatever it takes to win the city of culture? I'm sure the homeless and other coummunity group could do some real good with extra monies in their budject but instead it's been squandered on some vanity project. Glad to see people of Galway have their priorities in the right place. Galway can be greedy, it wants everything, has enough going on with all the festivals throughout the summers, we should let another part of our beautiful country showcase their talents but we are greedy in galway and it's for this reason I hope the three sisters or Limerick win the bid

This is a park and ride thread I'm sure there's a city of culture thread somewhere

Limerick has a higher homeless figure than Galway.:confused:

We're 'greedy' for wanting to win a title that would generate millions of euro in revenue and allow access to even more funding for the city and county?

I'm not quite sure I follow your logic here.

Advertisement