Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Park and Ride

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Limerick has a higher homeless figure than Galway.:confused:

We're 'greedy' for wanting to win a title that would generate millions of euro in revenue and allow access to even more funding for the city and county?

I'm not quite sure I follow your logic here.

Galway is a city that has major problems that can't wait 5/6 years, €250,000 who go along way in addressing some of these rather than spending it on a vanity project. Anyways this is not the thread for this discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Limerick has a higher homeless figure than Galway.:confused:

We're 'greedy' for wanting to win a title that would generate millions of euro in revenue and allow access to even more funding for the city and county?

I'm not quite sure I follow your logic here.

I dont think many do in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's a step backwards for society to be forced onto buses, closing streets etc when we have cars to bring us around.

I don't know where to start with this statement.

Increasing car use is a sign of failure, not of success. Increasing car use is costly to your purse, and costly to society: accidents, traffic congestion, stress, pollution.

The most successful societies are investing in sustainable mobility.

The cities that are voted the best place to live mostly have successful, integrated transit systems.

Countries that depend on the production and sale of cars, e.g. Germany, even they accept the need for high quality transit.

If anybody thinks building more roads in cities is the solution to traffic congestion, then something is very, very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Laviski wrote: »
    there is a car park at oranmore train stop.
    people on that side of town should use the train. at least it goes straight to eyre sq in 5 minutes and not stuck in traffic.
    looking at site its 9 euro return with 10 journeys either direction a day.

imo this should fulfill any park and ride.

It is one potential P&R spot. It would need to have Bus Services from it to service Parkmore and Ballybrit.
    Do you know what the current usage is like? On a typical Work Day morning how many cars would be parked in Oranmore Station?
    €9 euro return v's €4 all day parking in the Dyke Rd or the Harbour Car Park €3(€60 Monthly)?
    Would need to increase car parking charges in the City Centre to make it less attractive to drive into the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,789 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why would I want to have the hassle of going out of my way to a park and ride when I can drive straight into town coupled with having to carry stuff around all day when shopping rather than drop things back to the car or have to carry a heap of stuff onto a bus. That leaving out the fact you might be be buying things that are too heavy to carry.

Ok, so I couldn't resist.

Did you read this: http://www.galwayindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2015/11/25/4110167-public-urged-to-be-vigilant-after-spate-of-thefts/ ? To summarise for you:
    Gardaí are appealing to the public to be vigilant when it comes to leaving valuables inside their cars, after a spate of thefts and attempted thefts across Galway.
    Now, they are talking specifically about leaving things in view. But going back to a parked car in a car-park and putting presents into the boot while people are watching is pretty much equivalent. (I was working for a MNC for a while: part of their standard personal safety advice is "If you need to leave your laptop in your car, then place it into the boot before you arrive at the location where you will be parking.")

And if you are buying things that are too heavy to carry, you are likely to get them delivered anyways - there are very few places where you can drive right up to the door and the staff are willing to wheel your purchases out of the shop for you.

Also - did you know that some shopping centres now offer parcel-holding services? A bit like the plant-creche's that you see at some fairs.

• Advertisement

Image of tweet that's gone west ..

Let's try that again:

0-RuUw-mEuNOjLhpLqhZkveoOd1Kwy9SIYBFE1ViXFRoG_WcrWOd8jYGSTcMCdZntU6Uk6iYBwH9vHR__vpOOF0StLoPK1HLIqkQzmmzynSe2D_ShyznQEHhBaxii1R65CyOrR8EVtbfwbfFEGTL_PPgWn5WkdTOPZ71puj9j4UJ1pc8aJd4x-4b4yuK0-DmdkoPCc3hqHprtSsSOoLVjAJFeUlzhC6TdHWXzU8NE4R9jKQxF9dsL3F9laxNfmWhWySl8YwViknFO3DCSei4nugvXQjswHjjCik02lEF42IvsfP4oKYdF5jW-MRsaR-img0VT4F7i8OTsZ0Vn1q9-gW1MeNAkoFrlhwdTiLqhGVb48XbC678N3npeTYkfe4H4HK01f0A4j7A2bVcXbcTb-a-7zfEIeWjdhtAN6iv8wRtlZmKDU28QkU5HWHbXHi-fN2fx9pERUT1FuLUt7_ysR1Nq87cWMAgLcT47UctieEkVnkMhfLlDZGYpzar8O6DRjJggK21tIR1fsj0rPb4vU6n46sANvt3qtjkDE-4icBV=w581-h673-no

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nope, it's probably private user content.
    Just use postimage or similar host.

Ok, so I couldn't resist.

Did you read this: http://www.galwayindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2015/11/25/4110167-public-urged-to-be-vigilant-after-spate-of-thefts/ ? To summarise for you:

Now, they are talking specifically about leaving things in view. But going back to a parked car in a car-park and putting presents into the boot while people are watching is pretty much equivalent.

I wouldn't be too worried Keeping stuff in the boot of a car in a busy car park or on the side of the street in broad day light, even more so in a multistory car park which a lot of people park in anyway. The chances of your car being broken into in these instances are very slim. I may be a foot shop or what ever you store in the boot anyway while then doing some other shopping. Good luck trying to manage a full food shop if you are using a bus never mind if you want to do the food shop and then do some other shopping before or after.
    And if you are buying things that are too heavy to carry, you are likely to get them delivered anyways - there are very few places where you can drive right up to the door and the staff are willing to wheel your purchases out of the shop for you.

Loads of people collect their own heavy items rather than having to wait and pay to have them delivered and anywhere worth their salt will bring stuff to your car/van etc. We have bought items from many electrical and furniture shops in Galway and all are extremely happy to bring stuff out to your vehicle and help you load it. Washing machines, dryers, fridges and furniture are all items we have bought and collected on days when doing other shopping around town also.

I wouldn't dream of going into galway city without my car except if going on a night out it would be a total waste of time as I couldn't buy anything and couldn't get around to different parts of the city when I want without loads of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Good luck trying to manage a full foot shop if you are using a bus

Cheers, I do it once a week using a backpack and a lightweight bag for bread and other crushables - and don't find it difficult at all.

(Assuming you mean a food shop.)

• Advertisement

Cheers, I do it once a week using a backpack and a lightweight bag for bread and other crushables - and don't find it difficult at all.

(Assuming you mean a food shop.)

It's very rarely I wouldn't have to wheel the trolly to the boot of the car to unload stuff as it wouldn't be possible to carry it even that far, I always have a few heavy bulky items like big water multipacks etc. I also often go to more than one shop to get different things.

That's just for a me alone too, a family shop in my home place fills the boot of the car.

Advertisement