Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

shuffol wrote: »
    Last day of the season should be fantastic. I'd be slightly concerned for Connacht, 3 very difficult games to come that could halt their momentum. The Leinster game is the week after the 6N ends so a lot depends on the type of team that Leinster can field.

Why are you concerned for Connacht? They're in a very similar position to Leinster with a similar run in. Sky sports punditry are just right now saying they can't see Connacht and Leinster being dethroned from the top 4 and I'm tending to agree with them, certainly can't see them dropping out of the top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Pos Team Current R17 R18 R19 R20 R21 R22 R9 R12 Total
    Edin (a) Leinster (h) Ulster (a) Munster (h) Treviso (a) Glasgow (h)
    1 Connacht 54 4 1 1 4 5 1 70
    Ospreys (h) Connacht (a) Munster (h) Edin (h) Ulster (a) Treviso (h) Glasgow (a)
    2 Leinster 53 4 4 4 4 1 5 4 79
    Treviso (h) Ospreys (a) Blues (h) Glasgow (h) Dragons (a) Munster (a)
    3 Scarlets 49 5 1 4 1 4 1 65
    Zebre (h) Glasgow (a) Connacht (h) Zebre (a) Leinster (h) Ospreys (a)
    4 Ulster 46 4 1 4 4 4 1 64
    Connacht (h) Dragons (a) Zebre(h) Leinster (a) Munster (a) Blues (h)
    5 Edinburgh 42 1 1 5 0 1 4 54
    Leinster (a) Scarlets (h) Dragons (a) Treviso (h) Blues (a) Ulster (h)
    6 Ospreys 38 1 4 5 5 4 4 61
    Dragons (h) Zebre (h) Leinster (a) Connacht (a) Edin (h) Scarlets (h) Blues (a)
    7 Munster 42 4 5 1 1 4 4 4 65
    Blues (h) Ulster (h) Treviso (a) Scarlets (a) Zebre (h) Connacht (a) Leinster(h) Zebre(a)
    8 Glasgow 39 4 4 5 4 5 4 1 5 71

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Last day of the season should be fantastic. I'd be slightly concerned for Connacht, 3 very difficult games to come that could halt their momentum. The Leinster game is the week after the 6N ends so a lot depends on the type of team that Leinster can field.

Joe might select a much more experimental side so likes of RK and Sexton might all be available if he goes with Payne FB and starts Jackson etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Bazzo wrote: »
    Why are you concerned for Connacht? They're in a very similar position to Leinster with a similar run in. Sky sports punditry are just right now saying they can't see Connacht and Leinster being dethroned from the top 4 and I'm tending to agree with them, certainly can't see them dropping out of the top 6.

I hope they make the playoffs as they've been a breadth of fresh air but it's unchartered territory for them, 3 very tough games to come and if results don't go their way the picture looks very different and I'd be concerned that nerves may begin to kick in. The other sides they'll be facing have a lot more experience at the business end of competitions and will have all to play for.

I hope they make the playoffs as they've been a breadth of fresh air but it's unchartered territory for them, 3 very tough games to come and if results don't go their way the picture looks very different and I'd be concerned that nerves may begin to kick in. The other sides they'll be facing have a lot more experience at the business end of competitions and will have all to play for.

Maybe a couple years ago I'd have agreed with you but I can't see it happening this year. They've had tough matches already that they've won, Munster away, Ospreys home and away, Scarlets home and narrowly missed out on an away win there too. Came back from being demolished by Glasgow away to lose by a single point.

You should shift your concern to our brethren down south who look like they might be in a lot more danger at the moment with another fairly poor performance today against Treviso. Ulster weren't exactly great shakes either though I'd still bank on them making the top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bazzo wrote: »
    Ulster weren't exactly great shakes either though I'd still bank on them making the top 4.

I really wouldn't. Ulster's season is being supported by a few results that stand out over the rest such as beating the Ospreys on the opening day, the Toulouse double and winning in Galway. They're really playing beneath themselves given the talent at their disposal.

If you look at their season to date, it's pretty unimpressive. They've won 9 league games and 6 of those were by a single score including one kick wins against the Dragons and Glasgow at home in the last few weeks.

I'd be very concerned if I was an Ulster fan. That team they had out today was packed with quality players.

At this point, I would say Munster have a good shot at making the top 4. Despite failing to get the BP in Italy, the Ospreys, Ulster and Scarlets results make things much rosier for them.

I reckon Ulster will need to go to Swansea on the last day needing something which is not a good situation to be in.

Buer wrote: »
    I really wouldn't. Ulster's season is being supported by a few results that stand out over the rest such as beating the Ospreys on the opening day, the Toulouse double and winning in Galway. They're really playing beneath themselves given the talent at their disposal.

If you look at their season to date, it's pretty unimpressive. They've won 9 league games and 6 of those were by a single score including one kick wins against the Dragons and Glasgow at home in the last few weeks.

I'd be very concerned if I was an Ulster fan. That team they had out today was packed with quality players.

At this point, I would say Munster have a good shot at making the top 4. Despite failing to get the BP in Italy, the Ospreys, Ulster and Scarlets results make things much rosier for them.

I reckon Ulster will need to go to Swansea on the last day needing something which is not a good situation to be in.

Forget about the bonus point, Munster were lucky to win at all. I think Ulster are in a completely different league to Munster right now and I suspect they will be well within top 4. I seriously worry whether Munster will be top 6 at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Forget about the bonus point, Munster were lucky to win at all. I think Ulster are in a completely different league to Munster right now and I suspect they will be well within top 4. I seriously worry whether Munster will be top 6 at this stage.

They might make the top 4 if results elsewhere go their way but I wouldn't put them in a completely different league at all. Their results and performances have been very poor including losing at home to Munster. If it wasn't for a last minute penalty a couple of weeks ago, they'd have had a defeat to the Dragons at home too. They've looked really vulnerable in their last two games.

Following the weekend, I'd be surprised if Munster didn't make the top 6. The Ospreys and Edinburgh both have pretty ugly runs from here on and I'd expect them to finish outside with Munster's game in hand telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Munster beat Ulster twice this season. And they're in the same league, it's the pro-12, and Ulster are only ahead of Munster on points because they've played more games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Corey Flynn has signed for Glasgow on a two-year deal from Toulouse. I haven't heard much of him this season but last season he was getting a lot of praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Corey Flynn has signed for Glasgow on a two-year deal from Toulouse. I haven't heard much of him this season but last season he was getting a lot of praise.

Two year contract for a 35 year old? Seems mad to me

wp_rathead wrote: »

It was a try. Then again as a Connacht fan I have very little sympathy in most of these situations because when it happens to the smaller teams they're usually just told to get over it/move on/something along those lines.

And I actually tend to agree, the TMOs/refs are human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

A tackle occurs when the ball carrier is held by one or more opponents and is brought to ground.
    If the ball carrier has one knee or both knees on the ground, that player has been ‘brought to ground’.
    24723590244_ca026a152e_c.jpg

Technically it was a tackle so Clancy got it right - even if I do empathise with Ospreys and wouldn't have complained had it been given
    Harsh by World Rugby to throw Clancy to the dogs for following letter of the law

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

I once had sex with Beyonce while Jay Z washed my car.

Anyone can make claims, them being verified is a whole other story

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yep, this is just Ospreys claiming WR have agreed with them. Why would WR get involved in critiquing ref decisions in domestic league competitions?? Also, it's a bit rich considering the circling of the wagons defending Leighton Hodges last year when he came under fire. If it's not alright to throw Hodges under the bus, it's not alright to do it with Clancy, even if it was the wrong decision.

Also, also, it's reminiscent of Ireland officials/coaches (can't remember who said it) later claiming Nigel Owens had acknowledged his error in that game - it doesn't f*cking matter now!

b.gud wrote: »
    I once had sex with Beyonce while Jay Z washed my car.

Anyone can make claims, them being verified is a whole other story

You left out "True story". Clearly a fabrication! Jeez!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

That's the first time I've seen it and that's a definite try.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Tandy was asked if Irish official Clancy had offered the Ospreys an apology.

“No, I haven’t spoken to George since the incident,” he replied.

Why we he offer an apology? He made himself quite clear in the video. HE watched it back. He believes he was held, therefore it's double movement, therefor NO TRY.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

wp_rathead wrote: »
    24723590244_ca026a152e_c.jpg

Technically it was a tackle so Clancy got it right - even if I do empathise with Ospreys and wouldn't have complained had it been given
    Harsh by World Rugby to throw Clancy to the dogs for following letter of the law

Interesting quote there as I think it was the Welsh who stopped our choke tackles leading to mauls by getting the tackled player to get one knee on the ground and the ref then would call it a tackle.

By the absolute letter of the law Clancy was probably correct, he was held and brought to the ground, therefore a tackle was completed. By the strictest interpretation of the law, he probably should have released the ball before getting to his feet and scoring, but what he does looks far closer to reaching out for the line than a double movement or not releasing and getting to his feet again. It's a very technical interpretation that most of us would be livid about if it cost our team a try. Don't blame Ospreys for being annoyed about it, but like we saw last year moaning about refs after the fact is f*ck all use.

its_phil wrote: »
    Why?

Because he's not held?

Because he's not held?

Technically (and I mean to the very letter of the law), once he's brought to ground (which he was) he must release the ball before he gets to his feet again. In practice, refs call "not held" all the time and allow players to get back on their feet and carry on, so it was a ridiculously strict interpretation. I was 20 yards away and thought it was a very unfair call by Clancy, but I can see how he could justify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

Zzippy wrote: »
    Technically (and I mean to the very letter of the law), once he's brought to ground (which he was) he must release the ball before he gets to his feet again. In practice, refs call "not held" all the time and allow players to get back on their feet and carry on, so it was a ridiculously strict interpretation. I was 20 yards away and thought it was a very unfair call by Clancy, but I can see how he could justify it.

its a hard one really.
    I think it was the wrong call because Marmion didnt stop Davies or keep a hold of him. If Marmion had maintained contact then its a different story

calico77 wrote: »
    its a hard one really.
    I think it was the wrong call because Marmion didnt stop Davies or keep a hold of him. If Marmion had maintained contact then its a different story

I agree with you. If it was the other way round I'd have been disgusted with the call. Ospreys deserved at least the 2 bonus points it would have earned them. Doesn't help the image of the Pro12 as a professional league with reffing like that...

Zzippy wrote: »

If he's brought to ground and not held then he doesn't have to release the ball, he can get up and play on. It doesn't really look to me like Marmion holds him - maybe in slow motion but not in real time.

But I wouldn't agree with World Rugby (allegedly) hanging a ref out to dry either, it's a bad precedent to set, ref's job is hard enough.

If he's brought to ground and not held then he doesn't have to release the ball, he can get up and play on. It doesn't really look to me like Marmion holds him - maybe in slow motion but not in real time.

The law is:
    "A tackle occurs when the ball carrier is held by one or more opponents and is brought to ground."
    Not:
    "A tackle occurs when the ball carrier is brought to ground and is held by one or more opponents."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It was a tackle by the law but I don't think many refs would have ruled it as such. Definitely disagree with World Rugby commenting on it, but not sure I believe it.

• Advertisement

I agree with both IBF points
    I wouldn't have begrudged it being awarded but I can totally understand why it wasn't

Doubt WR would have an official stance on a ref decision in Sportsground- maybe someone who works with WR personally felt it was "clear and obvious" but can't believe that is the organisations view

Advertisement