Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He didn't have a lot to do but given he was playing wing I did notice him getting an inside ball of Luke Marshall and beating the first defender. Now it's only a small thing, but the key is he was off his wing looking for work. Good to see from a 19 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    He typically plays wing but his preference is centre.

The centre conveyor belt continues....

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Well I must say, that really was another game of two halves from Ulster again.
    Or rather, there's Ulster with Humphries on the pitch and Ulster with anyone else at 10.

I'm trying my best not to knock the starting half-backs, it's not personally their own fault, they just have very limited abilities. Marshall has the vision for a snipe up the blindside and then gets a bit blinkered and kicks the ball into touch. And humphries is just, I don't even know, seeing out his contract?

It was great to see Olding get a bit more ball in the second half but i must admit I wince every time I see him go into contact.

It will be interesting to see who starts at 10 the next time for Ulster, as they were a completely different beast with Olding at 10. Although his place kicking was a little rusty, so hopefully we'll see Ruan recover from his virus and get back in the team.

Overall i'm optimistic for the rest of the season.

postitnote wrote: »
    Or rather, there's Ulster with Humphries on the pitch and Ulster with anyone else at 10.

I'm trying my best not to knock the starting half-backs, it's not personally their own fault, they just have very limited abilities. Marshall has the vision for a snipe up the blindside and then gets a bit blinkered and kicks the ball into touch. And humphries is just, I don't even know, seeing out his contract?

It was great to see Olding get a bit more ball in the second half but i must admit I wince every time I see him go into contact.

It will be interesting to see who starts at 10 the next time for Ulster, as they were a completely different beast with Olding at 10. Although his place kicking was a little rusty, so hopefully we'll see Ruan recover from his virus and get back in the team.

Well this is the thing unless Ruan has recovered from his virus then Humphreys has to play next week for his goal kicking alone. That said I know Olding's kicking was dodgy on Saturday but is it not normally pretty good. I remember him kicking late in a game at Thomond Park a couple of years ago and doing fine. That said I prefer him in the centre anyway.

Still if what some suggest on the Ireland thread comes to pass with Madigan in the 22 shirt against Wales we will probably get Jackson released anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

But then are we almost in a ROG for Ireland in 2013 scenario?
    As you say, Olding can kick, just not last week. Surely though he'll get us in better positions on the park than Humphries? So even if his kicking stayed at last weeks level, I think there would still be an argument for Olding at 10.

Maybe i'm being overly harsh on Humphries, but as I said last week:

10: Olding
    12: Marshall
    13: Cave

Could be a tasty midfield while PJ et al are away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Conditions were pretty poor in Italy this week. Something to take into consideration when looking at the kicking. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

postitnote wrote: »

Well, iHumph has played very little rugby this season. He is normally a great passer of the ball but botched as couple that made him look a chump. Now, point me out any high quality 10 who has never thrown a duff pass or two or never missed a kick to touch. The guy wasn't at his best and may never be again but remember the great sweeping backs moves that often started with him - or were finished with him. He also made quite a few tackles. :eek::eek:

Olding really didn't do much at 10 to be blunt - except ship the ball on. Given that he hasn't played much rugby for the best part of two seasons it was good to see him switch on in the centre. Playing 10 apparently depends on playing there a lot - well according to those who see Madigan's occasional woes as down to him only playing there about 15 times a season.

If Ulster genuinely want a 'back up 10' to be on the ball then whoever it is needs to actually play there. If P.J. is starting then when / if he is taken off it's usually only when a game has been definitely won or lost. What opportunities are there for the likes of Olding, Luke Marshall to play 10? Do they actually get kicking practice? I've been at Ravenhill during a few of Doak's kicking sessions and it wasn't inspiring. He was a pretty average place kicker and that's me being kind.

Anyone know if Andy McGrath or Jonny McPhillips are likely to be good enough? Certainly Sam Windsor seems to be here as a sort of Charity Case.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Well, iHumph has played very little rugby this season. He is normally a great passer of the ball but botched as couple that made him look a chump. Now, point me out any high quality 10 who has never thrown a duff pass or two or never missed a kick to touch. The guy wasn't at his best and may never be again but remember the great sweeping backs moves that often started with him - or were finished with him. He also made quite a few tackles. :eek::eek:

Olding really didn't do much at 10 to be blunt - except ship the ball on. Given that he hasn't played much rugby for the best part of two seasons it was good to see him switch on in the centre. Playing 10 apparently depends on playing there a lot - well according to those who see Madigan's occasional woes as down to him only playing there about 15 times a season.

If Ulster genuinely want a 'back up 10' to be on the ball then whoever it is needs to actually play there. If P.J. is starting then when / if he is taken off it's usually only when a game has been definitely won or lost. What opportunities are there for the likes of Olding, Luke Marshall to play 10? Do they actually get kicking practice? I've been at Ravenhill during a few of Doak's kicking sessions and it wasn't inspiring. He was a pretty average place kicker and that's me being kind.

Anyone know if Andy McGrath or Jonny McPhillips are likely to be good enough? Certainly Sam Windsor seems to be here as a sort of Charity Case.

McPhillips seems highly rated, but he is only 18.

In the meantimeo I think Nelson is the man (although i think he himself is a better FB than OH), his injury was unfortunate timing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Don't know about his tackling but he does look a shadow of the player he once was in attack. iHumph was the most exciting attacking outhalf in the country for a spell, without doubt, in my opinion. He was a wonderful passer and runner of the ball but an utter liability with boot (used make some terrible decisions as when to kick) and his defence bore an uncanny resemblance to a swing door.

But when he was on song with the ball in hand, he was fantastic to watch. Keep in mind he was the outhalf (aside from semi final and final) for Ulster during the 2012 HEC run to the final.

It's a shame to see him playing like this now. He has had some great moments in his career when he has looked very good, notably those two days in Thomond Park in the HEC for Leicester and Ulster respectively.

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think Olding is a bit wasted at 10. I think he is better in the centre where he has more space and time on the ball.

Olding is most dangerous when he has his hands on the ball.

• Advertisement

I think Olding is a bit wasted at 10. I think he is better in the centre where he has more space and time on the ball.

awec wrote: »

As opposed to the threat he poses when the ball is miles away from him?

:pac:

Buer wrote: »
    As opposed to the threat he poses when the ball is miles away from him?

Poor wording by me!

What I meant was I think Olding is most dangerous when he has time to run with the ball to find gaps, rather than at 10 when he'll get the ball and immediately look to set up a move by passing it on.

Don't know about his tackling but he does look a shadow of the player he once was in attack. iHumph was the most exciting attacking outhalf in the country for a spell, without doubt, in my opinion. He was a wonderful passer and runner of the ball but an utter liability with boot (used make some terrible decisions as when to kick) and his defence bore an uncanny resemblance to a swing door.

But when he was on song with the ball in hand, he was fantastic to watch. Keep in mind he was the outhalf (aside from semi final and final) for Ulster during the 2012 HEC run to the final.

It's a shame to see him playing like this now. He has had some great moments in his career when he has looked very good, notably those two days in Thomond Park in the HEC for Leicester and Ulster respectively.

I think iHumph is a player who has always had glaring deficiencies in his game but his positives used to make up for them a bit. At 33 he has lost his pace and he has lost his creativity.

Now he has no positives and is just embarrassingly rubbish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Victor Vito has signed for La Rochelle on a 3 year deal so... yeah.... not sure that one was ever happening but it's definitely not now.

Victor Vito has signed for La Rochelle on a 3 year deal so... yeah.... not sure that one was ever happening but it's definitely not now.

Shame but in all likelihood it will be someone a level below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

bilston wrote: »
    Shame but in all likelihood it will be someone a level below that.

A level below is the Ulster way....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭launish116

Kankowski? Wow, once a big, big name in the game and was going toe to toe with Spies for the Bok jersey 5 years ago. His star has certainly dimmed in recent seasons but, if they can get him fit and firing, he's a great acquisition.

Would rather someone slightly younger but he's certainly able to do a job for the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Kankowski? Wow, once a big, big name in the game and was going toe to toe with Spies for the Bok jersey 5 years ago. His star has certainly dimmed in recent seasons but, if they can get him fit and firing, he's a great acquisition.

Would rather someone slightly younger but he's certainly able to do a job for the next couple of years.

Yeah, Kankowski is decent enough. Straight away he becomes Ulster's best loose forward...

I don't think his star has really dimmed, he just reached his level, which is a shade off true international class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So Ludik is staying and Kankowski is arriving. Interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

And Ludik to re-sign according to that so definitely six NIQs next year (if Piutau arrives). That's great news IMO, should give the others leverage to sign more as well.

Kankowski is a decent signing, not top drawer but will do a job.

Ludik staying makes about as much sense as Kirchner staying in Leinster given Piutau is signed. Ulster could do worse than start to look at signing a good quality project player at 9 rather than keep Ludik. He has been really solid but is simply makes no sense from a resourcing perspective.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Yeah, Kankowski is decent enough. Straight away he becomes Ulster's best loose forward...

I don't think his star has really dimmed, he just reached his level, which is a shade off true international class.

Pretty much, I suppose the Boks have developed several other options at No. 8 who passed him out in recent years. It will all depend on how he applies himself.

His profile is quite similar to that of Wannenburg in terms of his age, caps, test starts etc. But I'd like to think he'll work out a lot better.

I'm told he's quite good but my fear is we've just signed another Diack. From looking around it seems many of the criticisms are the same as Diack's.

Pacy, but maybe lacking bulk and power. Were going to be short on bulk in the back row now but we'll see how he goes.

awec wrote: »
    I'm told he's quite good but my fear is we've just signed another Diack. From looking around it seems many of the criticisms are the same as Diack's.

Pacy, but maybe lacking bulk and power. Were going to be short on bulk in the back row now but we'll see how he goes.

He's certainly very different to Nick Williams. Far more dynamic with the ball in hand but doesn't have the ability to bash through from 3 yards. You'll have Ah You to do that!

A starting backrow of Henderson, Henry and Kankowski will be well able for most back row units in Europe; RK is a far more accomplished player than Diack (who I rate).

Still going to lack any real depth there though. Diack in the 20 jersey, I guess. But Ulster can't rest on their laurels there. Henry, Diack and Kankowski will all be the far side of 30 so continued efforts are going to be needed along with keeping an eye on the likes of VDM and Best as they age.

We've resigned Sean Doyle as well I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Just have to nail down Dominic Ryan and the shopping list is complete so.

hmmm. Piutau becomes a big IF given both those news pieces imo.

• Advertisement

@Buer, regarding Best's replacement in coming years, Herring's being doing well, and Niall Annett is ticking along nicely across the way too, I'd be massively surprised if he wasn't called back once there was a jersey for him.

He's just signed a new contract 2 weeks ago, but I'm sure we'll see him back in an Ulster shirt.
    http://www.warriors.co.uk/news/9125.php

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement