Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

hmmm. Piutau becomes a big IF given both those news pieces imo.

Was thinking that. Does not add up at all to have so many NIQ players sanctioned. Goes against everything the IRFU have been working towards in recent years.

I'm wondering if the CP deal has fallen apart. Wasps starting to motor along with Ulster failing to get out of their pool has possibly made CP examine his options. I wouldn't be surprised if Wasps were willing to buy out the contract.

@Buer, regarding Best's replacement in coming years, Herring's being doing well, and Niall Annett is ticking along nicely across the way too, I'd be massively surprised if he wasn't called back once there was a jersey for him.

He's just signed a new contract 2 weeks ago, but I'm sure we'll see him back in an Ulster shirt.
    http://www.warriors.co.uk/news/9125.php

Yup, I'm a fan of Herring. Annett is an interesting one. He was really impressive at underage level and threw caution to the wind by departing. Hopefully he is developing well over there. I've watched Warriors a couple of times and he seems to be doing alright for himself. Supposedly a great leader also.

Given that the two lads are only 25 and 23, I would agree Ulster certainly aren't in bad shape there (assuming NA comes home). Both certainly steps down from Best but it wouldn't be an area of weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    I'm told he's quite good but my fear is we've just signed another Diack. From looking around it seems many of the criticisms are the same as Diack's.

Pacy, but maybe lacking bulk and power. Were going to be short on bulk in the back row now but we'll see how he goes.

He is better than Diack. But sounds a similar style to him. He is better than what we have. Still as I said a level below
    Vito.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

@Buer, regarding Best's replacement in coming years, Herring's being doing well, and Niall Annett is ticking along nicely across the way too, I'd be massively surprised if he wasn't called back once there was a jersey for him.

He's just signed a new contract 2 weeks ago, but I'm sure we'll see him back in an Ulster shirt.

I like the look of John Andrew at hooker as well, although he suffers similar size issues to Annett.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

So is it generally accepted that that's Ulster's big name signings completed for the season?

I must admit I haven't been paying enough attention to know much about Kankowski, so I don't know whether I should be underwhelmed at that signing or not?

Maybe we'll have Ludik and Piatau at the expense of Bowe and Payne?
    Ludik as a project player in this instance if he's now staying on.
    Can Tommy regain any of his form again? Not so sure he will, but i hope i'm wrong.

• Advertisement

It's not just about regaining form for Bowe, it's about regaining form whilst fighting off age. He's 32 this month which is pretty advanced for a winger. I assume he'll be left out of the summer tour to South Africa which means he's halfway to 33 before getting back in the jersey. I don't think it's a coincidence we're seeing him doing a bit of media work at the moment. He's starting to prepare for the inevitable wind down, I reckon.

Given that Trimble isn't far behind him in terms of age, Rory Scholes couldn't have come along at a better time!

• Administrators Posts: 53,429 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

hmmm. Piutau becomes a big IF given both those news pieces imo.

Piutau is definitely happening by all accounts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Payne go. If we are being instructed to play him at 13 then he is of little use to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ludik and Piutau at Ulster next season makes no sense unless there is a big name leaving.

Buer wrote: »
    Yup, I'm a fan of Herring. Annett is an interesting one. He was really impressive at underage level and threw caution to the wind by departing. Hopefully he is developing well over there. I've watched Warriors a couple of times and he seems to be doing alright for himself. Supposedly a great leader also.

Given that the two lads are only 25 and 23, I would agree Ulster certainly aren't in bad shape there (assuming NA comes home). Both certainly steps down from Best but it wouldn't be an area of weakness.

Herring is arguably the 2nd best hooker in Ireland IMO. He is top quality at the core jobs a hooker does but doesn't offer the same threat around the field as Best. Very solid for Ulster.

I am more than happy for him to be overlooked by Ireland though because Ulster really need him when Best is gone. :)

#2 is a position I have no concerns for in the future and it's a matter of when, not if he starts getting capped IMO. Wouldn't be surprised to see him pick up a few in SA though it depends on how many hookers we take on tour.

Ludik and Piutau at Ulster next season makes no sense unless there is a big name leaving.

Ludik to me would be better going to another province. He is one year short of IQ status, though he'll never actually be capped by Ireland I am sure. He would however be a very useful squad player for any of the provinces and if he is IQ then he isn't taking up a valuable NIQ spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ludik staying makes about as much sense as Kirchner staying in Leinster given Piutau is signed. Ulster could do worse than start to look at signing a good quality project player at 9 rather than keep Ludik. He has been really solid but is simply makes no sense from a resourcing perspective.

Ludik has been a great signing for Ulster. He can play 13 (looks like his best position to me) as well as being a classy full back and he's quick enough to play on the wing. Even so - and I'm happy that such a good player will be on our books - we need another 13 / 15 like we need another NOC. Am I correct in saying that Piutau was signed for 2 years? Or was it 3? As far as I know from snippets I've heard he intends to come.
    He's certainly very different to Nick Williams. Far more dynamic with the ball in hand but doesn't have the ability to bash through from 3 yards. You'll have Ah You to do that!

A starting backrow of Henderson, Henry and Kankowski will be well able for most back row units in Europe; RK is a far more accomplished player than Diack (who I rate).

Still going to lack any real depth there though. Diack in the 20 jersey, I guess. But Ulster can't rest on their laurels there. Henry, Diack and Kankowski will all be the far side of 30 so continued efforts are going to be needed along with keeping an eye on the likes of VDM and Best as they age.
    Kankowski is a high quality player and fits nicely in to the South African connection at Ravinghill. I suppose he is an active believer like most S.A. players. So we have Herring, Diack, Pienaar, Ludik, V.d. Merwe and Kankowski in the Ravenboks. I'm looking forward to seeing him.

On a slightly different note, for the last 3 or so seasons I have been convinced that Diack is a second row. When he plays there his game changes and he looks a different class of player. He's feckin' massive and for a 6'5" 18 stones+ guys is very athletic - hence his l/o is superb. He seems to up his loose -play dramatically for some reason.

He was a very good player with great l/o darts but a little 'willowy' when he was here. Herring has become one of our best ever signings. When Best begins to slow down / retires he will slot in seamlessly. he is incredible in the loose and a proper hooker who actually hooks the ball. A great leader in his own right. He reminds me in many ways of the great Ken Kennedy.
    bilston wrote: »
    I like the look of John Andrew at hooker as well, although he suffers similar size issues to Annett.
    Annett has piled on the muscle now. 16.7 and 6'1". He has great potential still and starting every game in the AP is quite an accolade.

Ludik extension confirmed.

http://ulsterrugby.com/news/14555.php#.VrHO7PmLT1s

It doesn't say for how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Not the signing I was hoping for (although i was hoping for Pocock...lol)

Although he instantly improves our backrow. Will be a very good signing for us. Good luck and welcome to Ravenhill

I agree Herring is an outstanding player. I think if he can up his breakdown/turnover work he would be the clear 2nd choice Ireland hooker.

They've crucially made reference to the Piutau signing in that article!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Payne being shifted maybe? Would happily take him at Munster!

NIQ
    Pienaar - Can't be going anywhere I assume?
    Van Der Merwe - Just signed extension
    Ryan Kankowski - New signing
    Charles Piutau - New signing

Project
    Ludik - Becomes IQ in September 2017 I think
    Herbst - Becomes IQ in September 2017 I think

---
    Have we heard anything about Pienaar or Herbst in recent months? All others have had articles and updates to contracts etc.

Am I wrong about dates for IQ?

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby-news/wiehahn-herbst-enjoying-life-the-ulster-way-1-6591334 - looks like Herbst has a 3 year deal which goes to September 2017. I assume this is the standard 'project player' deal which is the 2+1?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34927151 - Pienaar also signed up to 2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

postitnote wrote: »

Maybe we'll have Ludik and Piatau at the expense of Bowe and Payne?
    Ludik as a project player in this instance if he's now staying on.
    Can Tommy regain any of his form again? Not so sure he will, but i hope i'm wrong.

I would be absolutely staggered if this turned out to be the case. Dumping Ireland internationals to make way for foreigners would be a massive policy shift for IRFU.

Edit: and Bowe is contracted until June 2018 so he's going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So next season Ulster will have the following NIQs:

Herbst (project)
    VDM
    Kankowski
    Peinaar
    Ludik (project)
    Piutau

Am I right in saying that 5 of those 6 would be first choice as well? I just can't understand why these signings have been approved. How does it serve the national team to have a third of one of the provinces starting XV made up of foreign player, only 1 of whom has any chance of actually playing for Ireland? Obviously the NIQ rules are being relaxed, but I'd be very disappointed if Ulster were the only side to take advantage of that.

NIQ
    Pienaar - Can't be going anywhere I assume?
    Van Der Merwe - Just signed extension
    Ryan Kankowski - New signing
    Charles Piutau - New signing

Project
    Ludik - Becomes IQ in September 2017 I think
    Herbst - Becomes IQ in September 2017 I think

---
    Have we heard anything about Pienaar or Herbst in recent months? All others have had articles and updates to contracts etc.

Am I wrong about dates for IQ?

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby-news/wiehahn-herbst-enjoying-life-the-ulster-way-1-6591334 - looks like Herbst has a 3 year deal which goes to September 2017. I assume this is the standard 'project player' deal which is the 2+1?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34927151 - Pienaar also signed up to 2017

Somebody has to be leaving. Otherwise you have a ridiculous surplus of talented players in the back division.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Also, with all these South Africans are Ulster starting to look a bit like Sarries? :pac:

• Advertisement

Dominic Ryan for Jared Payne. Seems fair.

And once we get Payne down here....of course he should be starting 15 for Ireland. :)

molloyjh wrote: »
    Also, with all these South Africans are Ulster starting to look a bit like Sarries? :pac:

...paging awec...paging awec

The back-line talent keeps coming. From what I've seen of Owens, Busby, Stockdale and Lyttle plus what I've heard of McPhillips they all have a chance of making it. Stockdale has looked the real deal - being even bigger and faster than McCloskey. Of course as we know in the end they all may fall by the wayside. Imagine a future Ulster back-line with 12 McC. 13 Stockdale sub. Farrell. It would be like playing against a backline of second rows.

If only we had forwards coming through....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

And once we get Payne down here....of course he should be starting 15 for Ireland. :)

I was actually wondering if Payne might go to Leinster, especially if Henshaw is staying at Connacht.

molloyjh wrote: »
    If only we could play like them I'd be happy.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Payne move on.

Be interesting to see what the reaction would be when Payne is keeping Ringrose out of the team every week at 13. ;)

9 Pienaar Marshall Rowley
    10 Jackson Humphreys Windsor
    11 Trimble Gilroy
    12 Olding McCloskey
    13 Payne Marshall Cave Arnold
    14 Bowe Scholes
    15 Piutau Ludik Nelson

Handsome depth from 11-15. half backs could do with work. Pack could do with anyone.

...paging awec...paging awec

I for one welcome our new boks and hope they enjoy themselves in beautiful Belfast.

The guy who usually gives me my "in the know" gossip is saying there's a bigger name yet to come. Don't really see how this is possible if Kantowski is true, but I'll wait and see. He has been wrong in the past.

The UAFC guy is saying that he believes Kantowski is actually going to the Waratahs and not Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

awec wrote: »
    The guy who usually gives me my "in the know" gossip is saying there's a bigger name yet to come. Don't really see how this is possible if Kantowski is true, but I'll wait and see. He has been wrong in the past.

It would have to be an Irish player wouldn't it? With all the NIQ's already there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement