Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    The Euro fixtures have been confirmed. Back to back game against Toulouse.

Round 1:
    Oyonnax v Ulster, Saturday 14th November, 14:00, Stade Charles Mathon

Round 2:
    Ulster v Saracens, Friday 20th November, 19:45, Kingspan Stadium

Round 3:
    Ulster v Toulouse, Friday 11th December, 19:45, Kingspan Stadium

Round 4:
    Toulouse v Ulster, Sunday 20th December, 14:00, Stade Ernest Wallon

Round 5:
    Saracens v Ulster, 15/16/17 January, Allianz Park

Round 6:
    Ulster v Oyonnax, 22/23/24 January, Kingspan Stadium

Those fixtures have fallen pretty for us. Essential we are 3 from 3, but if we are momentum will be our friend. Oyonnax at home to round things off as well is perfect. Very happy with that.

• Administrators Posts: 54,098 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Those fixtures have fallen pretty for us. Essential we are 3 from 3, but if we are momentum will be our friend. Oyonnax at home to round things off as well is perfect. Very happy with that.

Yea if we're going into the last round needing a big result that's the fixture you want to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I could see Ulster topping that group with that fixture list. I think Ulster will win away to Oyonnax easily and then win their two home games and then go to Toulouse with bit of momentum. Win that game and I think they can afford to lose to Sarries away.

Sod that losing away to Saracens talk. I hope we wipe the floor with them in both matches. Nothing short of complete and total annihilation is acceptable. Destroy them! Tear apart the very fabric of their existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think it's a bad time to play Oyonnax away. First ERCC match ever at home means they will be interested at that stage. That would have been a perfect fixture in January.

It's a guaranteed 5 pointer at home mind.

• Advertisement

I think it's a bad time to play Oyonnax away. First ERCC match ever at home means they will be interested at that stage. That would have been a perfect fixture in January.

It's a guaranteed 5 pointer at home mind.

If we can't give Oyonnax a beating we may as well not even bother with the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If we can't give Oyonnax a beating we may as well not even bother with the rest.

They probably overachieved last season. They've lost their star number 10 Urdapilleta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

*looks in, sees sacarcens, holiday now ruined, slinks back out*...

Ulster team & replacements to play Leinster, Pre-season friendly, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 21st August (19:30 kick off): (15-9): J Owens, C Gilroy, D Cave, L Marshall, P Nelson, I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8): R Murphy, R Herring (Captain) W Herbst, P Browne, F Van der Merwe, C Ross, S Reidy, R Diack. Replacements: A Warwick, J Andrew, R Lutton, B Ross, A O’Connor, D Tuohy, C Joyce, F Taggart, W Faloon, S Mullholland, P Rowley, D Shanahan, S Windsor, J Stockdale, S McCloskey, S Arnold, L Ludik, M Best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No word on Ulster 7s team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster team & replacements to play Leinster, Pre-season friendly, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 21st August (19:30 kick off): (15-9): J Owens, C Gilroy, D Cave, L Marshall, P Nelson, I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8): R Murphy, R Herring (Captain) W Herbst, P Browne, F Van der Merwe, C Ross, S Reidy, R Diack. Replacements: A Warwick, J Andrew, R Lutton, B Ross, A O’Connor, D Tuohy, C Joyce, F Taggart, W Faloon, S Mullholland, P Rowley, D Shanahan, S Windsor, J Stockdale, S McCloskey, S Arnold, L Ludik, M Best.

It's a great relief to see Alan O'Connor's name there. What a great prospect he has become.
    I wonder has Murphy got any better. How the feck did he earn a living in Oz? It would be great if he has upped his game but he looked pretty poor.

It's a bit odd to see Mark Best and Stephen Muholland there. Are they definitely in? I've seen them at AIL level but have they ever been with the Ulster A side even. If Leinster put out any half decent back row then Ross and Reidy are in diffs. Not up to it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

jacothelad wrote: »
    It's a great relief to see Alan O'Connor's name there. What a great prospect he has become.
    I wonder has Murphy got any better. How the feck did he earn a living in Oz? It would be great if he has upped his game but he looked pretty poor.

It's a bit odd to see Mark Best and Stephen Muholland there. Are they definitely in? I've seen them at AIL level but have they ever been with the Ulster A side even. If Leinster put out any half decent back row then Ross and Reidy are in diffs. Not up to it imo.

Yeah great to see AOC back. Great player, expecting big things from him.

Pity we have a to make do with our current backrow players. Its a real weak point for Ulster and the reason why we can expect this season to be no better than last.

What positions are Best and Mulholland?

What positions are Best and Mulholland?

Mark Best is a very good centre and Mulholland plays 6/7 and is o.k. but...... I've no idea why they are needed unless they are being brought in to the overall picture. Best is a fine player but we don't need another centre. We do need to look at back row players but Mul. will be stretching it to look the part. He is a decent player but at this level without the physical conditioning and aerobic training he might just get blitzed.

Seems odd to be bringing AIL players in to what is already a large squad for this game. It doesn't sound like these lads have a hope of featuring at all during the season.

Taggart and Owens, are they academy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Maybe Ulster reckon that if they sign up enough AIL back row forwards they'll be able to swap all of them at once for a decent one.

is lorcan dow injured?

thought he would feature.?

It's not based on much but from what I saw last season I wouldn't quite put Reidy in the same bracket as Ross.

Agree on AOC, great to see him there.

I don't think there is anything to read into the team selection, it's just a friendly. We might actually be able to put out a decent enough side against the Ospreys in two weeks.

Seems odd to be bringing AIL players in to what is already a large squad for this game. It doesn't sound like these lads have a hope of featuring at all during the season.

Taggart and Owens, are they academy?

Owens definitely is. Not sure if Taggart still is or is now on a Development contract. I don't think the Academy has even been released yet...or if it ever will be released!

Here is a short clip to cheer the hearts of Ulster fans...

https://instagram.com/p/6Va2I0SQzE/

Taken from the UAFC MB.

• Advertisement

Maybe Ulster reckon that if they sign up enough AIL back row forwards they'll be able to swap all of them at once for a decent one.

We are just desperate. Apparently Nick Timoney has joined our Academy as well.

I suppose having a look at someone like Mulholland in a friendly does no harm.

Here is a short clip to cheer the hearts of Ulster fans...

https://instagram.com/p/6Va2I0SQzE/

Taken from the UAFC MB.

and Ireland fans..."Coming to an International partnership near you soon"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Owens definitely is. Not sure if Taggart still is or is now on a Development contract. I don't think the Academy has even been released yet...or if it ever will be released!

Jack Owens is academy and Frank Taggart is development, Taggart was on the emerging Ireland trip this year, I thought that he would start this game, also thought that Stockdale would be ahead of Owens, but they will all get game time I am sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

It's a bit odd to see Mark Best and Stephen Muholland there. Are they definitely in? I've seen them at AIL level but have they ever been with the Ulster A side even ...

Best played for the Ravens in their loss to Munster A on Paddy Jackson's return to rugby after his elbow injury in March.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestNews/TabId/149/ArtMID/793/ArticleID/3405/Munster-A-30-Ulster-Ravens-24.aspx

Doak out!

#doakout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Any highlights anywhere?

Sounds like a disappointing performance and result last night. Reading UAFC it seems Herring and Gilroy did well and I think someone said Luke was MOTM which if true is good news, it's a big season for him.

Still it's only a pre season game so need to panic just yet. We play someone else next week I think? Then the serious business if the Ospreys when it really counts.

Sounds like a disappointing performance and result last night. Reading UAFC it seems Herring and Gilroy did well and I think someone said Luke was MOTM which if true is good news, it's a big season for him.

Still it's only a pre season game so need to panic just yet. We play someone else next week I think? Then the serious business if the Ospreys when it really counts.
    Embra

• Advertisement

Embra

Pretty unspiring choice of opponents for the supporters given we play Leinster and Edinburgh often enough as it is. I suppose the coaches aren't bothered but still playing a French or English club might add a bit more intrigue for the supporters.

Glad Gilroy went well. Cant help but be disappointed for with Ireland. He doesn't even seem to be considered as an outside chance for wc. Especially when you compare his try scoring record against others

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34024767

Some nice tries by Ulster. Clearly on the basis of that Paul Marshall should be in the Ireland squad...

Nice step and turn of pace by Luke Marshall for his try and Sam Arnold getting in for a well taken score too.

Doak out?

How the fcuk did we end up getting thumped 23-10?

Doak out!

How the fcuk did we end up getting thumped 23-10?

Doak out!

Another season of dross.

But don't worry, our world domination plan is gonna kick in any day now...

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Another season of dross.

But don't worry, our world domination plan is gonna kick in any day now...

Can't get Kiss in soon enough.

Even then we are powderpuff in certain areas of the squad. No depth at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

iHumphs didn't start the game so you'd Windsor and then Shanhan at outhalf.

I know nothing of these two.

Not a great backrow

C Gilroy, T Bowe, L Marshall, S McCloskey, A Trimble, I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8): A Warwick, R Herring (Captain) W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, C Ross, S Reidy, R Diack. Replacements: P Jackson, R Murphy, R Lutton, P Browne, W Faloon, D Shanahan, S Windsor, S Arnold, L Ludik, P Nelson, C Joyce.

Interesting that Herring was the Captain too

CatFromHue wrote: »

We have those types of player all over the pitch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    We have those types of player all over the pitch.

It turns out Ulster mightn't know too much about him either

image.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CatFromHue wrote: »

Not a great backrow

C Gilroy, T Bowe, L Marshall, S McCloskey, A Trimble, I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8): A Warwick, R Herring (Captain) W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, C Ross, S Reidy, R Diack. Replacements: P Jackson, R Murphy, R Lutton, P Browne, W Faloon, D Shanahan, S Windsor, S Arnold, L Ludik, P Nelson, C Joyce.

Interesting that Herring was the Captain too
    Windsor was signed on 1 year deal from Worcester. Had been on a short term contract w/ Leinster few years ago..
    Shanahan is scrum half from Leinster but in Ulst academy. Didn't know he covered outhalf as well.

• Advertisement

Windsor was signed on 1 year deal from Worcester. Had been on a short term contract w/ Leinster few years ago..
    Shanahan is scrum half from Leinster but in Ulst academy. Didn't know he covered outhalf as well.

Only saw a bit on periscope but looked like your out half was kicking the ball away for fun..hard for a pack with an out half coughing up hard fought ball.

No idea what happened tonight but to be fair it was a pre season game so let's just calm down a bit. Selections are all over the place at this time of the season. Still it's a disapointing result. That back row will win us feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Pre-season means the square root of f*ck all.

Leinster lost 43-0 in the 2012/13 pre-season and won the league and the Amlin that season. Players aren't playing at full tilt or even close.

That was a relatively strong side out from Ulster though, close to first choice backs and front 5, and it was a weakened Edinburgh side too.

It's not the end all and be all but I wouldn't say it's feck all.

Is Windsor not the guy we signed from obscurity in NZ / Australia or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Maybe he'd went down home for a period but he had been with Worcester for a couple of seasons as well as period w/ Leinster

Nah, he's an Aussie who was with Worcester last season and was with Leinster for a spell without appearing for the first team. Not going to threaten the first team for you but could do a job as a squad player.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Born in Australia to Irish parents, apparently, was at the Brumbies academy but didn't make the step up to Super Rugby. Went to England for a while, back to Australia, short term contract at Leinster in 2012/13, then to Worcester and now at Ulster.

Born in Australia to Irish parents, apparently, was at the Brumbies academy but didn't make the step up to Super Rugby. Went to England for a while, back to Australia, short term contract at Leinster in 2012/13, then to Worcester and now at Ulster.

Don't think he played for Worcester as he was injured.. you signed a 2nd string outhalf at best probably Worcester 3rd choice. Steenson was the one to really go after. Humphreys will loose you a lot of games with his defence. .

blackdog1 wrote:
    Don't think he played for Worcester as he was injured.. you signed a 2nd string outhalf at best probably Worcester 3rd choice. Steenson was the one to really go after. Humphreys will loose you a lot of games with his defence. .

Bad shoulder dislocation in his first game for them so never got to play, really.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement