Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What's this about Reid not being good enough? The lad is unquestionably our best 12 imo. He will be a cracking player.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What's this about Reid not being good enough? The lad is unquestionably our best 12 imo. He will be a cracking player.

Going forward he is. Defensively he's a complete and utter liability. And you just can't get away with that anywhere in the modern game, but especially not in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah, if he just improves his defense he'll be a huge asset for us. Worse defenders have done it in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Henshaw and T'eo in partnership in the centre sounds great to me!

vienne86 wrote: »

I'd be very worried about their ability to distribute. It's Henshaws big weakness really and while Te'o is some man for the offloads he doesn't have much of a passing game besides. I'd be worried you'd have 2 guys looking to find contact again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 lesterfreeman

case885 wrote: »
    What about playing VDF, Furlong, Luke Mc grath? They were trusted.
    Have Farrell and Daly even played for Leinsters first team?
    Fitzgerald was being hailed as Ireland's solution to 13 last season so why would he be put back on the wing.

they've been trusted after excelling and have succeeded to far, Reid has been trusted and found wanting.

Daly and Farrell have so far been unable to make a big enough impression to get senior gametime, they've been bypassed Ringrose and haven't been able to get ahead of other options either.

It's about constructing the best possible leinster backline, that probably involves Fitzgerald on the wing

he's a horrible defender, get away with it at pro 12 level but not higher.

vienne86 wrote: »

well Teo is pretty unlikely to be here next season.

well Teo is pretty unlikely to be here next season.

There is nothing remotely conclusive either way. We should break the bank tbh.

There is nothing remotely conclusive either way. We should break the bank tbh.

if he stays we will have, but the rumours aren't good and never have been.

if he leaves it wont be due to not offering him enough money IMO.

although if he is offered obscene money by an english/french club leinster shouldn't break up the way the current pay structure works at the club for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

case885 wrote: »
    You'd think Leinster would trust their home grown centres rather than bringing in henshaw. Reid, Fitzgerald, Ringrose, O Shea, Farrell, Daly seems like plenty depth. Henshaw missing big chunks of the season away with Ireland won't be great either when Leinster are already depleted enough at those times.
    Exactly. What does henshaw offer Leinster. He's gone most of the year, like the rest of Leinster players, so on his return you have an abundance. Its ludicrous. So you have one more player to integrate. Fantastic. Its hard enough to integrate him into Connacht.

flouncer wrote: »
    Exactly. What does henshaw offer Leinster. He's gone most of the year, like the rest of Leinster players, so on his return you have an abundance. Its ludicrous. So you have one more player to integrate. Fantastic. Its hard enough to integrate him into Connacht.

One thing we do not have is an abundance of centres. In fact it's a problem position for us. Reid is a turnstile in defence, O'Shea simply hasn't been able to step up and at 24-25 it's pretty late in the day to be expecting that to change, Fitz is a converted winger, Te'o may not be here next season and that just leaves Ringrose, Daly and Farrell. Ringrose might be able to make the step up to European level next season but we'd still be short on options there as the other 2 lads haven't seen any senior time. I'd imagine there's a reason for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

What does henshaw offer Leinster.

This is missing the point in spectacular fashion.

If Henshaw moves to Leinster, with heavy emphasis on if, it won't be because Leinster want/need him, it will be because the player wants to go, IRFU want to keep him happy and it's the best thing for the national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Henshaw's better than any of our centres

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It seems our strategy is shooting the moon, ie instead of trying to have as few hearts as possible, we're gonna try get them all. (The appropriateness of this analogy is routed in the fact that to shoot the moon in hearts you need 15 cards)

The plan is simple Flounce. Rather than have half the internationals, and having to integrate them all time (boo) we're going to try to get all of the internationals, this way we'd never have to integrate them. They would play together all year. Once we complete the capture of Henshaw, we will get Murray and Henderson. When Ringrose comes good (and best retires) we will have completed the capture of the entire Irish first 15.

McGrath, Strauss, Moore, Toner, Henderson, Murphy, SOB, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, DKearney, Henshaw, Ringrose, Fitz and Kearney

It's all part of the Leinster blazers plan. My theory is that they realised when they were losing Joe to Ireland he would be irreplaceable. So they made this deal with the IRFI in order to ensure their entire starting 15 would be regularly coached by Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd be very worried about their ability to distribute. It's Henshaws big weakness really and while Te'o is some man for the offloads he doesn't have much of a passing game besides. I'd be worried you'd have 2 guys looking to find contact again and again.

I don't see anything wrong with either of their distribution tbh. I don't know where this is coming from actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

.ak wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with either of their distribution tbh. I don't know where this is coming from actually?
    Its a myth for henshaw at the very least. If you watch some of tries hes set up over the years, hhis offloading and passing in traffic is very good

freyners wrote: »
    Its a myth for henshaw at the very least. If you watch some of tries hes set up over the years, hhis offloading and passing in traffic is very good

But it's been said on here two or three times so it must be true and often repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

But it's been said on here two or three times so it must be true and often repeated.

Now if somebody manages to dredge up a Murray kinsella reference it will be gospel

01. Jack McGrath
    02. Sean Cronin
    03. Tadgh Furlong
    04. Devin Toner
    05. Mike McCarthy
    06. Rhys Ruddock
    07. Josh van der Flier
    08. Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

09. Luke McGrath
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    12. Ian Madigan
    13. Ben Te'o
    14. Zane Kirchner
    15. Rob Kearney

16. James Tracy
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Dominic Ryan
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Gary Ringrose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

.ak wrote: »
    There's one thing trusting people but at the end of the day we're not a development side.

Reid has come along bounds but his defending has been quite poor. Fitzgerald's best position is 11. Ringrose maybe the messiah but he'll get blown out of the water by bigger centres. O'shea is an out n out 13 but seems to get the yips whenever he lines out for the seniors. We'll have to see with Farrell and Daly but it's far too early to assume they'll make jump up.

Relying on home grown talent for the sake of it is silly IMO.
    Seems Connacht still are though unfortunately, assuming he moves.

freyners wrote: »

But I'm not talking about offloading. Look at Fitzgerald against Bath there last week when he gave that pass to Tracy in the build up to the VDF try. It was very reminiscent of the pass to Dave Kearney against Canada. Drawing his man and timing & delivering the pass really well. Compare that then to the England game where Henshaw made the break at the end and made a total balls of the pass. The timing and delivery were all wrong. I've seen that kind of thing a number of times from him now. It's not a huge deal. He's a young lad and that will come in time, but it is (IMO anyway) a bit of an issue at the moment.

01. Jack McGrath
    02. Sean Cronin
    03. Tadgh Furlong
    04. Devin Toner
    05. Mike McCarthy
    06. Rhys Ruddock
    07. Josh van der Flier

09. Luke McGrath
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    12. Ian Madigan
    13. Ben Te'o
    14. Zane Kirchner
    15. Rob Kearney

16. James Tracy
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Dominic Ryan
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Gary Ringrose

Anyway it's interesting to see Mads at 12 this week and Luke back out to the wing. VDF and McGrath (actually both McGraths) are the right call. And good to see Molony on the bench, if only because Triggs is injured.

What a delish team.

01. Jack McGrath
    02. Sean Cronin
    03. Tadgh Furlong
    04. Devin Toner
    05. Mike McCarthy
    06. Rhys Ruddock
    07. Josh van der Flier

09. Luke McGrath
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    12. Ian Madigan
    13. Ben Te'o
    14. Zane Kirchner
    15. Rob Kearney

16. James Tracy
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Dominic Ryan
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Gary Ringrose

Have to say I'm happy with almost every aspect of that.

Madigan at 12 is interesting, plenty of youth on the bench. A start for VDF is great, I think Jordi definitely needs a break. Likewise Healy, although Michael Bent seems to have plummeted down the pecking order.

Biggest game for Luke McGrath to date?

This is a kind of funny way to look at it, but in the last 3 weeks Luke has two subs 1 start, Reddan 1 and 1, and Boss 1 and 0. Certainly seems like he's being integrated.

Have to say I'm happy with almost every aspect of that.

Madigan at 12 is interesting, plenty of youth on the bench. A start for VDF is great, I think Jordi definitely needs a break. Likewise Healy, although Michael Bent seems to have plummeted down the pecking order.

Yeah it's pretty positive all right. Not sure what is going on with Bent. He was an absolute rock for us at times last year. But he isn't the most dynamic of players so maybe that is hurting his selection chances?

You'd like to think that our pack will be on top and with the guys he has outside him McGrath will hopefully put in a good showing. He hasn't played much with Jonny so that might hamper him a little, but it is a huge game as you said. It could see him promoted to first choice if he does well.

If I was to be really picky I might look for Marsh in the 22 shirt, but I can understand why he isn't there so it's no great shakes. Let's hope we get the performance we want and need, because we're almost certainly going away to Glasgow with a load of internationals being rested.

errlloyd wrote: »
    This is a kind of funny way to look at it, but in the last 3 weeks Luke has two subs 1 start, Reddan 1 and 1, and Boss 1 and 0. Certainly seems like he's being integrated.

Yeah, I suppose I meant it's his biggest start, I think?

Anywho, here's the Ulster team:

(15-9): Peter Nelson, Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Stuart McCloskey, Craig Gilroy, Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar; (1-8): Kyle McCall, Rory Best (captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Iain Henderson, Dan Tuohy, Robbie Diack, Sean Reidy, Nick Williams;
    Replacements (16-23): Rob Herring, Andrew Warwick, Ricky Lutton, Roger Wilson, Chris Henry, Paul Marshall, Ian Humphreys, Louis Ludik.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Both teams look fairly strong. Are Kearney or Murphy injured or just dropped/rotated?5 Ringrose in the 23 is encouraging. Shows Cullen wants to give him minutes somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Great looking team, and delighted for VdF. You get the feeling this is the moment for him to kick on now. Also Furlong starting! :)

Only thing I would have liked to have seen is Ringrose and Zane switch places.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement