Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Madigan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

I'd heard that Harlequins were also interested in him as Nick Evans will be 36 next August and they need to start finding a replacement for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

The Championship doesn't have that policy though :pac:

Does that affect JJ and any potential camps/wolfhounds/international team involvements?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ec18 wrote: »
    Does that affect JJ and any potential camps/wolfhounds/international team involvements?

yes he is only available during international windows, therefore he will miss 1 AI in 15/16 any camp time outside of international windows and the wolfhounds game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

The Top14 doesn't have a strict policy on this. The Premiership does. Northampton were fined £250k IIRC when they released North.

It's not even a question of Madigan's 'bargaining power', since it's not a question in the first place! Unless the IRFU agrees a deal with PRL (and that's not happening since it would encourage Irish players to go to England) then Madigan would only be released during international windows, regardless of what his contract states.

Think saints were fined ~£60k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

ec18 wrote: »

Unfortunately, not playing for Northampton is going to affect him far more. Whether it's fair or not, benching in Ireland is infinitely better for your international prospects than benching in England.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Yeah .... And twice the player Dan Biggar is ......

Dan Biggar is a class act

Unfortunately, not playing for Northampton is going to affect him far more. Whether it's fair or not, benching in Ireland is infinitely better for your international prospects than benching in England.

Is JJ not getting any game time for the saints?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jezzer wrote: »

he is benching most of the time

Yeah as Ciaran said he's benching. Started the first European game but was an unused sub for their win at Glasgow last weekend.

Still early days of course but Myler looks to be firmly first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I remember reading at the time of JJs move being announced that myler only had another season or two left in him. And the hope for JJ was that he'd play the role of understudy up until then, taking over the mantle from that point on.

But having just checked now...Myler is 31!!

At least 3 more seasons left in him you'd imagine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

In reality it would allow jackson and keatley to get ahead of him should he go abroad plus being able to get released for ireland camp would be a problem, also playing for bristol would mean no european rugby. From JJ Hanrahans perspective it was different as he wasnt getting anywhere near the Ireland squad so he had nothing to loose but for madigan right now he is sextons international back up, should he leave that would end his ireland hopes...i think lenister should do what ulster did with paddy jackson, they played him as a centre and he was back up 10 to o gara internationally, this worked well and it gives cover across the backline

PJ was never played as a centre at ulster. The last thing we need there is another centre!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I presume jezzer meant Paddy Wallace

I presume jezzer meant Paddy Wallace

apologies, you are correct I meant paddy wallace

kuang1 wrote: »
    I remember reading at the time of JJs move being announced that myler only had another season or two left in him. And the hope for JJ was that he'd play the role of understudy up until then, taking over the mantle from that point on.

But having just checked now...Myler is 31!!

At least 3 more seasons left in him you'd imagine?

Thats crap, he should have stayed in Munster, at least there he could play across the backline and push keatley for the 10 spot

Well he pretty rules out Bristol anyway, smart move, if he goes abroud it will be Quins but i have a feeling he may end up in Munster next year, I think they could do with him too...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well he pretty rules out Bristol anyway, smart move, if he goes abroud it will be Quins but i have a feeling he may end up in Munster next year, I think they could do with him too...

they have a 28 and 25 y o fly half on their books, with a 24 yo coming through.....

do they really need madigan?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The question is does anyone really need Madigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Be a nice extra for Connacht, especially if we kept Henshaw

9. Marmion
    10. Madigan
    11. Healy
    12. Henshaw
    13. Bundee
    14. Poolman
    15. TOH

^ not bad!

Madigan is the no. 2 fly half for Ireland, I think you will find he would be much sought after, there are a lot of fly halves starting in the english premiership every week who dont come close to madigan

• Advertisement

Madigan is the no. 2 fly half for Ireland, I think you will find he would be much sought after, there are a lot of fly halves starting in the english premiership every week who dont come close to madigan

subjective of course.....

its arguable that madigan not being 1st choice for his club is part of the reason we didnt beat argentina, so saying hes no2 for his country isnt exactly a ringing endorsement, as every other other tier 1 country, apart from argentina and scotland, had their reserve out half as first choice for their club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

sydthebeat wrote: »
    subjective of course.....

its arguable that madigan not being 1st choice for his club is part of the reason we didnt beat argentina

Well anything is arguable. But with what cogency is what matters. And there's isnt much if any behind that argument.

That Joe blew us out of the world cup by risking the game he should have thrown against France isa stronger argument.
    So unfair to level that one at Mads as a means of rating his level at international rugby.

Well anything is arguable. But with what cogency is what matters. And there's isnt much if any behind that argument.

of course there is.
    Its illogical to suggest our reserve 10 playing second fiddle to other players for all his career isnt a factor to his performances in the RWC.

Im not arguing that he didnt deserve to be reserve 10, im arguing that it was detrimental to our cause that he wasnt, and has never been, senior 10 in his professional career, and thus the argument that he is irelands no2 out half is somehow an endorsement of his capabilities is a flawed one
    That Joe blew us out of the world cup by risking the game he should have thrown against France isa stronger argument.

that statement doesnt deserve a response
    So unfair to level that one at Mads as a means of rating his level at international rugby.

i said it was "part" of the reason, not the whole reason. There were many separate interconnected "parts" of the reason we lost that game, not least how good argentina actually are.

Madigan is among the top 10 fly halves in the world, he is better than weir for scotland, priestland for wales, farrell for england, just becuase they all start a their clubs means nothing, you could argue that Leinster are better than their clubs...

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Madigan is among the top 10 fly halves in the world, he is better than weir for scotland, priestland for wales, farrell for england, just becuase they all start a their clubs means nothing, you could argue that Leinster are better than their clubs...

Better than Priestland? this has to be a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

None of those fly halves are guaranteed to start for country or club. Weir is behind Russel on both counts, Preistland is behind Biggar and Ford, and Farrell is often behind Hodgson and Ford.

Nevermind the fact that all of their clubs are currently better than Leinster.

Better than Priestland? this has to be a wind up

of course he is better than Priestland, why is biggar starting ahead of him then?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That may be your opinion, but it's far from a fact. If Madigan was one of the top 10 fly halves in the world he'd have no problem starting for Leinster in the absence of Sexton.

again, statements like that are so subjective and you should qualify them with, 'im my opinion'

in my opinion, i could name 8 new zealand out halfs alone that are better than him

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    again, statements like that are so subjective and you should qualify them with, 'im my opinion'

in my opinion, i could name 8 new zealand out halfs alone that are better than him

ah go away out of that, if thats the case why was steve Ddonald drafted in for the last world cup??

Mads should have been starting for leinster in johnnys absence but matt o connor played gopereth instead..and look where that got them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement