Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2019

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Hercog holds here she should win. Gauffs done

glasso wrote: »
    is the Hercog one just wearing that "sleeve" to cover up a big tattoo?

Yeah

yes I think. must have got the word from the toffs up high.

nintchdbpict000247950990-e1499182712927.jpg?w=960

Humbert playing a blinder here

she's only 15 since March.

will have a lot of power in the future I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Seen others wearing them too, maybe Kyrgios as well? Was wondering whether it was something to help prevent pulling or stretching a muscle, but on second thoughts that explanation seems just as likely if not more so.

how was your day?

"Well I was 1 set and 5-3 up and then I lost the match to a 15-year old"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Hercog unhappy and I don't blame her, crowd are a55holes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gauffs done
    ... it again:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hercog deserves to be out. Slicing the ball back to a 15 year old every time and hoping she misses. Turgid stuff.

Hercog no complaints really, had her chances, didnt take them. Gauff didnt really turn up till midway through the second set, saw end point and as if she just suddenly woke up out of her slumber. Think halep is end of the line for her, though.

she's at least quadrupled her lifetime earnings by getting to the 4th round.

The sponsors will be queuing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Delighted she won. Lovely to see her stop and sign stuff for the crowd. And plenty of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Hercog unhappy and I don't blame her, crowd are a55holes.

They are, but she is an experienced player who played cowardly tennis when she was on the brink of winning it. It was a low quality match, but happy Gauff won purely due to how Hercog tried to "win".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rjd2 wrote:
    They are, but she is an experienced player who played cowardly tennis when she was on the brink of winning it. It was a low quality match, but happy Gauff won purely due to how Hercog tried to "win".

The double fault at match point and calling a challenge when the ball was still in play in the second set tiebreak to me kind of summed up the second half of that game for her tbh.

Just lost her bottle at key times imo

• Advertisement

she's currently only allowed play in 5 more pro events before her 16th birthday in March 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,620 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My jaysus, talk about OTT hype nonsense! Who cares she’s 15...

Proper order. They’re manky looking, and even more so on women.

SW19 has standards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Necro wrote: »
    The double fault at match point and calling a challenge when the ball was still in play in the second set tiebreak to me kind of summed up the second half of that game for her tbh.

Just lost her bottle at key times imo

Finished the second set tie break poorly also.

Its what separates the elite players from the likes of Hercog the ability to play those crucial points.

Credit to Gauff though, yeah she had luck in her opponent imploded but heh a win is a win and she in week 2 at 15. Some effort.

• Advertisement

FAA gone

is_that_so wrote: »

Its absolutely infuriating. The US Open has been slowed down over the years and now Wimbledon,,,next week it will be a clay courters paradise.:mad:

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its absolutely infuriating. The US Open has been slowed down over the years and now Wimbledon,,,next week it will be a clay courters paradise.:mad:

Only really a casual observer of tennis but that looked pretty shocking for grass. Is this the way forward in Slams now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Dovies wrote: »
    Delighted she won. Lovely to see her stop and sign stuff for the crowd. And plenty of it too.

Yes, she was taking her time to sign as many autographs as decently possible.

Don't think she has enough power in her game yet to overcome the better older women. First time I'd seen her and what is impressive at the moment anyway, is her composure. Seemed to be quietly focused and able to handle the pressure of the moment without either falling behind or getting ahead of herself. Impressive for her young age in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

jr86 wrote: »
    Oh God, Djokovic is still doing that celebration thing after matches

CRIIINGE

You're as bad as Kyrgios.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

walshb wrote: »
    My jaysus, talk about OTT hype nonsense! Who cares she’s 15...

No idea what you expect. It's great to see someone like her come through and start stirring it for some of the big guns. She's limited in what she can do, quite rightly at this age, but the microscope is going to be on her pretty much every time she plays now. People will want to see just how much she can progress. There's a fair chance she will become the next global tennis superstar and of course people are interested. Clearly you are not, but that does not stop the rest of us showing a lot of interest if we so wish

Beasty wrote: »
    No idea what you expect. It's great to see someone like her come through and start stirring it for some of the big guns. She's limited in what she can do, quite rightly at this age, but the microscope is going to be on her pretty much every time she plays now. People will want to see just how much she can progress. There's a fair chance she will become the next global tennis superstar and of course people are interested. Clearly you are not, but that does not stop the rest of us showing a lot of interest if we so wish
    She may become all these things but it depends on whether she develops, is managed properly, does not succumb to injures and retains a love for the game.

I think some of the annoyance here is down to the completely biased crowd behaviour but that's what crowds do and it's really not the kid's fault that it is a great story. Hercog should have been able to see that game out in 2 sets. After all there was a spot in the Top 50 waiting for her.

That was definitely the worst of the three matches she's played in the main draw so far, in terms of quality that is. Much more inhibited today, i thought, than in the opening two rounds which is understandable. Wont be match favourite next time so that will help a bit anyway. By standards of today what she is doing is simply extraordinary. Its a lot of hype but at least theres some substance to it for a change.

Wimbledon GS thread angriest person on boards betting has closed with paddy power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Coco Gauf's parents appear to be very driven,hope they are not pushing her too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The default thing to say is she has a great future ahead but who knows..

How on earth will they keep a lid on all this hype? Is it actually possible for this not to go to her head? Can she handle the pressure going forward?

Look up "youngest premier League footballers" and you'll find plenty never made it fully, after making debuts at a young age. Now of course she might go on to be a superstar but she's really living in the moment now and already she'll have a target on her back going forward.

All the best to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

lostcat wrote: »
    You're as bad as Kyrgios.

Haha but he has a point!

Ugh ND is like that 15/16 year old child just dying to get attention from the popular guys in his class

That said I know well I'll be rooting for him if he plays Nadal/Federer as I think the crowds are generally a disgrace how biased they are towards his opponent in them match ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Playing fan favourites is part and parcel of the game. Most spectators like rooting for someone when watching sports. Very few will watch a sport with cold disinterest and most players at the top will play at least one match where the crowd is against them, even the likes of Federer. That's just how it is. Athletes at the top know this and prepare for it. Djokovic is a big boy. He's won plenty without having to be everyone's favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Belinda Bencic was 3-0 up in the final set and 40-0 and she is now 3-3 and 15-40 down. She's not handling it that well.

Tennis, please? More fooking nonsense on Centre Court..

Tennis, please? More fooking nonsense on Centre Court..
    What's happening ?

Nishi looked good today, granted it was against Jono.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What's happening ?

Introducing everyone in the audience...

What's happening ?

Doesn't that happen on the middle Saturday of Wimbledon every year ?

• Advertisement

Nishi looked good today, granted it was against Jono.
    Petra Kvitova looked good as well earlier. She'll play the winner of Sloane Stephens and Joanna Konta next.

Jesus Belinda bencic will wonder how she lost that match.

BarryD2 wrote: »

Seemed to be quietly focused and able to handle the pressure of the moment without either falling behind or getting ahead of herself. Impressive for her young age in that situation.

That’s what impressed me the most-her emotional maturity. She’s been raised and trained for these situations- even McEnroe commented on it after the match -it was way beyond her years and her resilience and pure focus will become one of her key strengths in her career.

So regardless of who is likely to win next round, who would like to see her lose? McEnroe does and in some respects I agree with him- he’s concerned she’ll get too ahead of herself- he feels she’s done well now and needs time to take it all in away from the public view-I respect that view - McEnroe knows very well what can go wrong at such a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

I thought Kvitova looked very good today, I’d be happy to see her win the tournament.

Just finished Bencic V Riske. Riske’s grunting/ yelling was so off putting, I found it hard to watch, can players not complain about that? Bencic led 3-0 plus was up 0-40 in the final set and lost the match, she was all over the place at the end.

I’m enjoying Gauff’s run so far, I wonder will she go much further?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It’s their tournament and they’ll run it as they please. If they want to celebrate other sporting heroes they can. They don’t owe you anything and they’re not obliged to you. Turn it off if you don’t like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Doesn't that happen on the middle Saturday of Wimbledon every year ?

Yes it does it’s part of the tradition now. Great idea.

• Advertisement

Ash Barty is making it look easy.

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s their tournament and they’ll run it as they please. If they want to celebrate other sporting heroes they can. They don’t owe you anything and they’re not obliged to you. Turn it off if you don’t like it.

Keep your knickers on.

BarryD2 wrote: »

Seemed to be quietly focused and able to handle the pressure of the moment without either falling behind or getting ahead of herself. Impressive for her young age in that situation.

That’s what impressed me the most-her emotional maturity. She’s been raised and trained for these situations- even McEnroe commented on it after the match -it was way beyond her years and her resilience and pure focus will become one of her key strengths in her career.

So regardless of who is likely to win next round, who would like to see her lose? McEnroe does and in some respects I agree with him- he’s concerned she’ll get too ahead of herself- he feels she’s done well now and needs time to take it all in away from the public view-I respect that view - McEnroe knows very well what can go wrong at such a young age.

Jennifer capriati would be an example she won't want to follow even though capriati had a good career in fairness but she started younger.

Easy day at the office for ash barty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Spanish housemate of mine, who was a regional standard tennis player in Spain and a tennis coach for awhile gives Nadal little chance against Tsonga.

What a massive call.

Does your Spanish friend smoke the funny fags? :)

I think Tsonga wins a maximum of 8 games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement