Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry's Refuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Has anyone used Sharkey's Refuse? They are based in Annagry of somewhere in the West but cover Letterkenny too. After using Ferry's for over ten years without incident, I have had a lot of problems with them for the past couple of months and would like to change. Two of my neighbours have switched to Sharkeys within the past month. They do not charge to provide the new bins and monthly charges is €25. Just wondering if they are reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dinorebel wrote: »
    We use Ferry's and signed up for direct debit and pay 25 a month a god bit down on the 34 a month DM Waste charged.
    So, are you still paying €25 a month with them?

Find it hard to believe seeing as they are charging by weight and not by lift which means that the charge would most likely vary unless you are putting a limited amount of refuse in.

annascott wrote: »
    Has anyone used Sharkey's Refuse? They are based in Annagry of somewhere in the West but cover Letterkenny too. After using Ferry's for over ten years without incident, I have had a lot of problems with them for the past couple of months and would like to change. Two of my neighbours have switched to Sharkeys within the past month. They do not charge to provide the new bins and monthly charges is €25. Just wondering if they are reliable.
    Sorry, no idea about them as they dont collect around my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

muffler wrote: »
    So, are you still paying €25 a month with them?

Find it hard to believe seeing as they are charging by weight and not by lift which means that the charge would most likely vary unless you are putting a limited amount of refuse in.

Still paying the same they were 2 days late collecting this week which is the only issue I've had with them. As far as charging by weight that must only affect those that pay weekly.

dinorebel wrote: »
    Still paying the same they were 2 days late collecting this week which is the only issue I've had with them. As far as charging by weight that must only affect those that pay weekly.
    How many times per month are the bins lifted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

muffler wrote:
    How many times per month are the bins lifted?

Refuse/recycling bins are lifted alternately every week. For €25 it's good value for a family where they would need to put the bin out each week and it would mean that it's hard to go over the 40kg weight.

For someone like myself who only puts a bin out every 4-6 weeks doesn't make sense.

Cheap for a reason though with ferry's as they're just emptying their trucks on their illegal dump site down along the swilly unless they've changed their ways in the past few weeks. We'll all end up as taxpayers paying to get it all cleaned up again at some stage in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Ferry's service has been so inconsistent for us. I'd say since September, our recycling was collected maybe 7 times. They'd just leave the bin there uncollected and then when you'd ring about it, they'd fob you off. Like saying I didn't have the right tag on. I doubted myself the first few times but then I realised they just didn't bother coming around to collect it.

Donegal Waste came around our estate this week and I'd say that every house that had a Ferrys bin, changed over.

Their service was completely unpredictable and that's then taking all the awful stuff that's coming out in the media about them, you'd wonder how they're still operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 irishjp

We cancelled our DD with them last month after all the carry-on in the papers. Couldn't in good conscience continue to use their service.
    They have been ignoring 3 weeks of requests to come and collect their bins which we left, at their request, sitting outside the house.
    There was a foreign girl on the phones for a while who was ok to deal with, but the dragon is back on the phones again, ignorant fecker to deal with - when I threatened to hire a skip and bin them she just laughed and gave a "thanks for calling".
    Lovely crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

irishjp wrote: »
    Lovely crowd.

My parents just changed from them to DM waste. When speaking to them on the phone after cancelling a DD, and well, they have changed their tune. Offered a top up on a card to have them stay on and quite a bit of pleading saying it was an utter anomaly that the bins hadn't been lifted recently.

Your dragon must have realised she'll have no job at the rate they're going at

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Caught part of an ad/PSA on Highland this evening. Seems Ferrys has been taken over by some crowd called Weirs (I think). Just heard they were taking on all the Derrys staff and will be in touch with Fery's customers over the coming days. Apparently this crowd have been in the business for 25 years.

Can't find anything online about it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Heard that yesterday too. It's a company called Wers Waste from Galway. Wonder if there will be many customers for them at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems to still be a good few bins out when I'm driving to work.

Sure may as well just set fire to them themselves and cut out the middleman.
    Just saw that story about the fire when trying to find more info about the takeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Nothing dodgy about that at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Seems like the law might be catching up with Jim Ferry. Shameful that he has been able to get away with it for so long. I sincerely hope that he appropriately dealt with.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/a-most-revolting-case-of-illegal-waste-in-co-donegal-1.3175935

Seems like the law might be catching with Jim Ferry. Shameful that he has been able to get away with it for so long. I sincerely hope that he appropriately dealt with.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/a-most-revolting-case-of-illegal-waste-in-co-donegal-1.3175935
    Shocking stuff but comes with no surprises though.

The bit about getting the water turned off due to a leak, then the place going up in flames hours later with the front entrance blocked is particularly galling. He should be made to handpick the whole lot out of there himself

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Shocking stuff but comes with no surprises though.

Agreed. However, the fact that it comes as no surprise should not trivialize the seriousness of this.

As a Donegal native, I am outraged by Jim Ferry's behavior. Who do you think will pay for the clean up? It is estimated that it will cost €5M to clean this place up. Who paid for the clean up of his Derryreel (Falcarragh) illegal dump? With the cost of his free legal aid, and the cost of his jailing (if he is jailed and he should be, along with his daughter), we are easily talking €10M. Can you imagine if this €10M was diverted to Letterkenny general hospital - how many doctors/consultants could be hired.... schools, roads....

I have been watching this guy's antics for a long time. His arrogant contempt that he has displayed for MY (and your) county is sickening.

Just to rub salt into the wound, According to today's Derry People, I understand he has now sold his business!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

We had been using Ferrys for years, we inherited the bins from the previous house owners. When I read that they were in court for fly tipping, we switched to DM Waste. It costs exactly the same and we can buy the bin tags in the local supermarket. The only difference is the pickup day is Wednesday. And when you contact DM they are way more civilised than Ferrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Just after reading that Irish Times article. I'm disgusted. And then applyng for free laegal aid, thet cheek. Hope revenue are involed in this too. As another poster said imagine if that EUR10 million that it will cost to clean up his mess went into Letterkenny hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

retalivity wrote: »
    The bit about getting the water turned off due to a leak, then the place going up in flames hours later with the front entrance blocked is particularly galling. He should be made to handpick the whole lot out of there himself

Sounds like bales of blocks being used to block access for the fire engines.
    Jesus christ, he doesnt give a damn does he.

He should be in jail long ago. And Donegal coco shouldnt be looking for the rest of the country to pay for this. :mad:

They can take the clean up cost out of their own budget and the councillors can go out and explain why to the people.

I understand that Ferry is back in the high court today. Should be interesting.

I understand that Ferry is back in the high court today. Should be interesting.
    Looks like he will be jailed for contempt of court if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Ooh jail until he purges his contempt of court (by not cleaning up his mess).

Perfect sentence. Let him rot until everything is cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The saga continues. While the paperwork for his committal was being processed he walked out of the High Court and has now vanished!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/garda%C3%AD-try-to-arrest-donegal-operator-of-illegal-waste-dump-1.3202664

The saga continues. While the paperwork for his committal was being processed he walked out of the High Court and has now vanished!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/garda%C3%AD-try-to-arrest-donegal-operator-of-illegal-waste-dump-1.3202664
    Read that yesterday and it doesnt look good on the judiciary or the law enforcement agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Bloody hell. How deep does the rabbit hole go with this character?

retalivity wrote: »
    Pique wrote: »
    Bloody hell. How deep does the rabbit hole go with this character?
    In fairness there's no evidence to suggest this has anything to do with Jim Ferry or his business other than the fact that "stuff" was found on property that may (may not) belong to him. There's a bit more info in the Irish Times about at.

Interesting to note in the IT article that he owns a racehorse that has earned him €28,500 in winnings to date yet he claims he is penniless :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Firblog

Seems Wers are running an unlicensed waste facility in Galway

Advertisement