Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry's Refuse

Options
  • 05-02-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭

I'm plannng on phning them tomorrow, but was looking at Ferry's facebook page to see when the next collection day for general rubbish was and saw a load of comments. They were about some sort of change to collections with regard weight and a card.

I've heard nothing about this until I saw it on their facebook. Anyone know how this works? Are bin tags no good anymore? Their communication with their customers is crap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You can find most of the relevant info regarding the new waste collection systems here.

As for Ferrys I dont think I could ever deal with them. Thats just me but Im sure others would have a better opinion of them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They have a charge card which has to have €40 in credit at all times. Bins are weighed and charged at €10 for 40kg.

I've moved to DM Waste who still use labels and so a bin costs €10 for regular waste and €7.50 for recycling. I compact my regular bin and only put it down every few weeks. I'd say it easily weighs 120kg each time.

I'm guessing this will be the end of ferry's and considering the whole illegal dumping allegations currently being investigated, it's not before time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Signed up with Ferrys when I moved in and no problems with them apart from not collecting when they changed to bieekly without notification. But once I get the bin emptied next week, I'll see about moving

To the best of my knowledge the new waste collection system does not commence until mid-summer and between now and then the operators are supposed to chip the bins, empty them as normal and advise customers of the weights and costs involved. That allows people to make an informed decision on which operator they wish to choose.

But as stated above Ferrys already want people to pay money into a charge card in advance which I believe to be illegal. Maybe it’s not either as Im not sure of the finer points of the new regs.

I have a relation who contacted them about the new scheme and was using their service for the last couple of years. But when she refused to pay the money into this card Ferrys went into her private back yard on Friday morning last and removed 2 bins. In doing so they trespassed on private property and Im not sure what the position is in relation to the actual bins as she was given them by someone who had left a different house about 2 years ago.

Yeah when trying to find out about this, I'm finding a lot about their more scummy practices.

Will DM take a Ferrys bin? Because if Ferrys don't empty it without the card, I don't fancy paying €40 to get it emptied for a final time. I'm guessing what's on the card is non refundable

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah when trying to find out about this, I'm finding a lot about their more scummy practices.

Will DM take a Ferrys bin? Because if Ferrys don't empty it without the card, I don't fancy paying €40 to get it emptied for a final time. I'm guessing what's on the card is non refundable
    Both firms would say they dont empty each others bins but I have seen them do so lots of times. if you put a DM waste label on a Ferrys bin then DM waste should empty it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

I've also been told that Ferrys dump the blue bins into the normal black bin lorry if it happens to be left out. Witnessed by someone I know.

Well was able to buy a tag on Monday and they emptied it on Tuesday.
    That would've been the perfect time to put something through the door about any changes when they know a cutomer lives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm with Logan waste, I'm not seeing anything on their site about switching to weight payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm with Logan waste, I'm not seeing anything on their site about switching to weight payments.

Its coming at some stage but no one knows when. It was to be introduced last year but got a last minute reprieve as there was so much confusion and anger over the costs but apparently its only been delayed.

Ferry's have gone ahead with their charges which means it costs considerably more to use them than the others (at present)

People should shop around and move to the other companies and hit Ferry's a with a little of their own medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I have used Ferry's Bin collection for a number of years. Last year they took contact details in preparation for weight charges but nothing was enforced. Apart from the annoying change to collecting every two weeks, nothing has changed. A bin tag costs €11 and I have never been asked to pay in advance for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

We use Ferry's and signed up for direct debit and pay 25 a month a god bit down on the 34 a month DM Waste charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

We have been using Ferry's for years, then a few months back they called to our door and told us that they are moving us over to the pay by weight system. They said that our bins our too heavy and its costing them too much to take them.
    They set up the card and everything for us, but I basically told them that I would just switch over to D@M seems as the bins are actually there's anyway.

Seems they are calling round too people who put out heavy bins and telling them that they have to use the new pay by weight system, but are leaving other people alone for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BurnleyBen

Sorry to "barge in" into this thread.. just moved to a house with Ferry's Refuse in it, not entirely sure what the changes are about or even what the pick up day is because they don't pick up the phone.... tried three times today, got hung up on.

BurnleyBen wrote: »
    Sorry to "barge in" into this thread.. just moved to a house with Ferry's Refuse in it, not entirely sure what the changes are about or even what the pick up day is because they don't pick up the phone.... tried three times today, got hung up on.
    Sorry, I have no idea what days Ferrys collect in Letterkenny as I use DM Waste myself but this link should explain about refuse collection in general.

Its interesting to note that the Council say its optional at the moment whether you want to pay by weight or by fixed charge labels yet Ferrys are making the pay by weight compulsory for their customers despite the fact that it doesnt become law until at Least 1st July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

BurnleyBen wrote:

They collect every Monday, but they switch from normal to recycling every second week.

I assume you're in Letterkenny? What part? It's Tuesday up around Killyclug.

And I switched to DM. Just phoned them up and they sent out the barcode sticker to put on the bins. So no new bin required.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BurnleyBen

Off Glencar road, close to the hospital.

See, I messaged Ferrys on Facebook and gave them my address, they said Friday is my pick up day but I've been seeing bins with Ferry stickers on them when I went out earlier today.. even my next door neighbour had a black bin out..

So I really have no idea what it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

See, I messaged Ferrys on Facebook and gave them my address, they said Friday is my pick up day but I've been seeing bins with Ferry stickers on them when I went out earlier today.. even my next door neighbour had a black bin out..

My parents get theirs lifted on Fridays in the Gortlee area. Ask your neighbours if they are with Ferrys. Could be they never got a new bin. If they are, just ring back and double check. I rang them just before paddy's day to check if they were lifting and got them on the phone no problem

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's Friday for Glencar, going by their website too.
    http://www.ferrysrefuse.com/routes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Has everyone seen what Ferrys have been up to?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/donegal-refuse-collector-serial-environmental-offender-1.3081208

Illegal dumping and laying a pipe for the runoff of the illegal dumps into the river.
    What a scumbag. It's a pity he wasn't given a long prison sentence years ago after his previous convictions.

At a minimum the criminal assets bureau needs to look at what can be recovered of his ill-gotten gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Hes taking the piss and getting away with it for years by the sounds of that article.

Donegal county council / government not doing much and its been happening right under their nose.

Wait til the bill for cleaning up that bloody mess right beside the river lands back on the taxpayer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

cros13 wrote: »
    Has everyone seen what Ferrys have been up to?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/donegal-refuse-collector-serial-environmental-offender-1.3081208

Illegal dumping and laying a pipe for the runoff of the illegal dumps into the river.
    What a scumbag. It's a pity he wasn't given a long prison sentence years ago after his previous convictions.

At a minimum the criminal assets bureau needs to look at what can be recovered of his ill-gotten gains.

I had heard that before when this thread was younger, but didn't want to mention it online, just in case.

Apparently locals know its been happening.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Technique

dinorebel wrote: »
    We use Ferry's and signed up for direct debit and pay 25 a month a god bit down on the 34 a month DM Waste charged.

I think we can now see why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Firblog

Have had Ferry's collecting my rubbish for 6/7 years, will never use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Wait til the bill for cleaning up that bloody mess right beside the river lands back on the taxpayer too.

Estimates of €5-6 million. They should start by freezing his and his family's bank accounts to ensure money doesn't disappear.

Another important question is how did he manage to rack up 22 months of jail sentences over 5 convictions but they all got suspended? Was his criminal history not given to the court?

Now is probably a good time to point out that there's no legal reason Donegal CoCo can't remunicipalise bin collection.

Like I said earlier, I've switched already. Phoned DM, they sent out barcode stickers for both general and recycle bins. They will take Ferry's bins as long as the tags are on them. You need 2 tags for a bin. Seems to be 1 tag for a bag on its own but 2 for a bin. At least for general waste. Haven't emptied the recycle bin yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Firblog

came across this today, are they all at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

Ah ffs. That's who I use.

• Advertisement

Firblog wrote: »
    came across this today, are they all at it?
    For clarity I would point out that the article does not confirm any conviction and also dates back to May 2014 so not recent news as such.

Advertisement