Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Residency FAQ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

I think then a regular LMO or whatever it's called these days would see you fine. I'm not au fait with the new EE side of things, but I did get an LMO once - it was processed pretty fast, cost the company $250 (at the time, it's now $1000 I think), and I presented that to immigration at my port of entry and was given a work permit tying me to that company for a year. You can get LMOs for up to 2 years, unless that has changed, so that would be the best way to go about it based on what I know. There's no PR application or anything like that involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Make21

I think then a regular LMO or whatever it's called these days would see you fine. I'm not au fait with the new EE side of things, but I did get an LMO once - it was processed pretty fast, cost the company $250 (at the time, it's now $1000 I think), and I presented that to immigration at my port of entry and was given a work permit tying me to that company for a year. You can get LMOs for up to 2 years, unless that has changed, so that would be the best way to go about it based on what I know. There's no PR application or anything like that involved.

Thanks for this, it has helped clarify my own thoughts a bit - it gets a bit confusing on the CIC site....its pretty woeful!

I think I will go fown the LMIA (The new name for the LMO) route and see how it goes.

So I guess I need my company to do a LMIA first, before I myself apply for anything?

AS mentioned, I am finding the process a tad confusing!

Any input appreciated!

Unless things have changed, ALL you need is your company to do the LMIA. Once that's done, if successful, they'll receive the necessary documentation, which you just need to present at a port of entry for your new work permit and visa. Absolutely nothing is needed on your part apart from crossing the border and returning to Canada with the new documentation. Again, with the caveat that that's unless things have changed. I believe Circular Flexing might have some more up to date information on this side of things than me - my last LMO was in 2013.

One very important thing to note is to make absolutely sure that the company looks for a 2 year permit, not a 12 month one, or you'll have to do it all again in a year

Unless things have changed, ALL you need is your company to do the LMIA. Once that's done, if successful, they'll receive the necessary documentation, which you just need to present at a port of entry for your new work permit and visa. Absolutely nothing is needed on your part apart from crossing the border and returning to Canada with the new documentation. Again, with the caveat that that's unless things have changed. I believe Circular Flexing might have some more up to date information on this side of things than me - my last LMO was in 2013.

One very important thing to note is to make absolutely sure that the company looks for a 2 year permit, not a 12 month one, or you'll have to do it all again in a year

You sir, are a gentleman. Thanks for your help.

If anyone else is familiar with this process please comment, the more info I have the better!

Make21 wrote: »
    You sir, are a gentleman. Thanks for your help.

If anyone else is familiar with this process please comment, the more info I have the better!

Further to this - it seems like I WOULD have to apply for a work permit even after my company completes an LMIA successfully....

The twists continue!

• Advertisement

When I did it, the work permit "application" happens at point of entry, just like the POE process with the IEC, in that you arrive with all the paperwork, you're asked some questions, and you're given it there and then. It may have changed, but I didn't have to apply for anything as part of the LMO when I did it, that all happened as part of the process, since the LMO was issued to the company in question specifically pertaining to me being hired.

The recent changes they've made may well mean you need to apply too, but I'd be surprised if that's the case, given that the whole LMIA process is based around the CIC saying that YOU are allowed to be hired for that job (unless this has changed too... bloody conservatives)

When I did it, the work permit "application" happens at point of entry, just like the POE process with the IEC, in that you arrive with all the paperwork, you're asked some questions, and you're given it there and then. It may have changed, but I didn't have to apply for anything as part of the LMO when I did it, that all happened as part of the process, since the LMO was issued to the company in question specifically pertaining to me being hired.

The recent changes they've made may well mean you need to apply too, but I'd be surprised if that's the case, given that the whole LMIA process is based around the CIC saying that YOU are allowed to be hired for that job (unless this has changed too... bloody conservatives)

I hope it IS like that!

Step 1 is definitely getting the company to do the LMIA....I will try and get that moving and that will give me time to figure out MY side of the application!

I will update this thread as and when I get info - may prove helpful to others in a similar situation.

I'm sure someone will pop along at some stage later who's done it themselves, too

I'm sure someone will pop along at some stage later who's done it themselves, too

Hopefully - I'd love to hear from someone who has done the "new" application!

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The process for LMIA is the same as LMO, just the name changed and they are being far more rigorous about granting LMIAs. Once you have the positive LMIA, just head for the border and you can get your permit there and then (assuming you have a passport from Ireland or a visa exempt country). One thing to look out for is that there's a new fee to be paid to CIC ($100) and you cannot get your permit without the receipt for this payment (this is in addition to the usual $155 work permit fee). You shouldn't have to do anything for the application.

• Advertisement

The process for LMIA is the same as LMO, just the name changed and they are being far more rigorous about granting LMIAs. Once you have the positive LMIA, just head for the border and you can get your permit there and then (assuming you have a passport from Ireland or a visa exempt country). One thing to look out for is that there's a new fee to be paid to CIC ($100) and you cannot get your permit without the receipt for this payment (this is in addition to the usual $155 work permit fee). You shouldn't have to do anything for the application.

This is excellent news - thanks for this!

Another question that I stupidly forgot to ask earlier: Can I include my girlfriend on this? We are engaged so I guess "common law".

She too was on the IEC for the past 2 years.

Last thing I need is to go through this process only to discover that she can't stay/work!

It SHOULD include your spouse as far as I remember

Make21 wrote: »
    This is excellent news - thanks for this!

Another question that I stupidly forgot to ask earlier: Can I include my girlfriend on this? We are engaged so I guess "common law".

She too was on the IEC for the past 2 years.

Last thing I need is to go through this process only to discover that she can't stay/work!

Careful now - just because you are engaged doesn't automatically mean you are common law in the eyes of CIC. You need to show proof that you've been in a marriage-like relationship for at least a year. Usual way of proving this is a shared bank account or a lease agreement showing both names.

Assuming you can prove common law relationship, then she can apply for a work permit on the basis of your one

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=177&t=17

Careful now - just because you are engaged doesn't automatically mean you are common law in the eyes of CIC. You need to show proof that you've been in a marriage-like relationship for at least a year. Usual way of proving this is a shared bank account or a lease agreement showing both names.

Assuming you can prove common law relationship, then she can apply for a work permit on the basis of your one

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=177&t=17

Ah no bother there - have joint bank accounts, mortgage the works...have had them for years too.

Was aware of the definition of common law even though my post didn't really indicate that.

Thanks for the heads up though, appreciated!

Hello again lads!

The plot thickens...and I'd appreciate some more advice:

If I apply for an LMO, it gets passed and I obtain a new 2 year work permit can I, if I change my mind/situation changes, still apply for Express Entry at some point in the future?

e.g. If I get a new 2 year work permit and one year form now decide I would actually like to do Express Entry, am I still eligible to do so?

I am just concerned that by *not* applying for Express Entry now that I am being short sighted....as it stands I am just getting my company to do an LMO....

As always, any and all input greatly appreciated!

Yes I believe you can apply for EE in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

I am applying to do postgraduate medical training in canada. Does anyone know anything about the visa or perm residence status required for that?

Update on my previous posts.

My job is currently being advertised as per the requirements for the LMO.

Assuming I get a positive assessment, what are my next steps? I am a little confused as to extending the work permit to cover the time it will take to process EE.

Specifically - does anyone have any idea which form I should be using to get a new work permit that will cover me for the 6 months or so it will take for EE to be processed?

Jeez - this is some complicated stuff and the Canadian government websites dont make finding information easy!

Thanks in advance lads, you are all very forthcoming and helpful with information and it is GREATLY appreciated.

Once you get the positive LMIA, you can go to the border and get your new permit on the spot.

You can apply to CIC for the permit, however it will take much longer to process.

Once you get the positive LMIA, you can go to the border and get your new permit on the spot.

You can apply to CIC for the permit, however it will take much longer to process.

Thanks for this, in the unlikely even I bump into any of you lads there will be pints bought! (unless you happen to be wearing name badges with your boards username I find that unlikely though!)

I am applying for the "dual intent" LMIA so I *think* that makes things a little easier...

It's all so unclear though, there is so much contradictory info on the Canadian government sites plus Express Entry etc has been introduced too so some of the info is outdated etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Does anyone know what NOC Class a Fund Administrator comes under? Any google result seems to show 'Other Financial Officers (NOC 1114-A)' but when you look at the examples within that category it doesn't really seem accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irlcad

If you have a full time permanent job already in Canada, do you still need an LMIA to apply for EE? If yes and the company wont do it, are we completely screwed?

irlcad wrote: »
    If you have a full time permanent job already in Canada, do you still need an LMIA to apply for EE? If yes and the company wont do it, are we completely screwed?

You need an LMIA to get 600 points. You don't need an LMIA if you already have enough points to get an invitation to apply. For reference, the cutoff point for the last draw was 450 points.

You need an LMIA to get 600 points. You don't need an LMIA if you already have enough points to get an invitation to apply. For reference, the cutoff point for the last draw was 450 points.

Thanks for that...I just found a calculator on CanadaVisa dot com. What kind of scores could a native speaker hope to get in IELTS? What I'd love to know is can scores of 8.5 or 9 only be gotten by geniuses?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Thanks for that...I just found a calculator on CanadaVisa dot com. What kind of scores could a native speaker hope to get in IELTS? What I'd love to know is can scores of 8.5 or 9 only be gotten by geniuses?!

I am a native speaker, I felt like I struggled to keep up in the tape test because you only hear it once before you have to answer questions on it and I felt like at times it was deliberately trying to catch you out by misleading you with answers. I'm crap at writing essays and felt my essay was pretty weak. I still got a 9. My partner took the piss in the essay section (I could have killed him after when I found out) and he still got an 8.

I strongly recommend downloading a sample test just to have an idea of the format so you aren't thrown off on the day (particularly for the tape test as it's fairly unforgiving), but if you are a native speaker then you really shouldn't have any problems getting high marks.

I am a native speaker, I felt like I struggled to keep up in the tape test because you only hear it once before you have to answer questions on it and I felt like at times it was deliberately trying to catch you out by misleading you with answers. I'm crap at writing essays and felt my essay was pretty weak. I still got a 9. My partner took the piss in the essay section (I could have killed him after when I found out) and he still got an 8.

I strongly recommend downloading a sample test just to have an idea of the format so you aren't thrown off on the day (particularly for the tape test as it's fairly unforgiving), but if you are a native speaker then you really shouldn't have any problems getting high marks.

Thanks very much, this is great info to have. Our estimated total EE score is 460, based on getting 8 in the IELTS all around...it might give us the courage to go for the PR card after all instead of just a temporary extension. So heartbreaking when youre already there, already working, already have friends and facing an exit because you cant get your hands on the right documents. Thanks again all

Thanks very much, this is great info to have. Our estimated total EE score is 460, based on getting 8 in the IELTS all around...it might give us the courage to go for the PR card after all instead of just a temporary extension. So heartbreaking when youre already there, already working, already have friends and facing an exit because you cant get your hands on the right documents. Thanks again all

Scores as low as 450 have come up in a few rounds to date and they are talking about increasing the rate they accept people via EE so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it.

We are stuck at 445 :( We would rather not have to go the LIMA route as we don't have any work lined up and it will limit our options with who will deal with us. We don't really want to go till next year anyway tho, so we are happy enough for now to sit and wait for an invite.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get the 600 LIMA points if the spouse of the person listed as the main applicant gets an offer?

If you are in Canada, I would recommend the CELPIP test instead - it's all done on computer whereas the IELTS one is pen/paper. A native English speaker should have no difficulty getting high marks on the test - just download and practice the sample tests and don't race through the test, take your time and read each question carefully.

If you are on 460 now, I would schedule the test asap, as nobody really knows which way the points are going to go.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get the 600 LIMA points if the spouse of the person listed as the main applicant gets an offer?

Why can't the person who got the LMIA be the main applicant? I don't think you can transfer points like that.

• Advertisement

Why can't the person who got the LMIA be the main applicant? I don't think you can transfer points like that.

Neither of us have LIMA at the moment. We already have the application submitted and we are in the pool waiting. I don't think you can change who the main applicant is after it's submitted. We are both equally qualified and in the same field so we pretty much drew straws for who to put as the main applicant. If we end up having to go the LIMA route it would be handy if either of us getting work would effect the application, I assume that's not possible tho, but said I'd ask just in case.

Advertisement