Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training in blocks or not??

• 17-01-2019 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm tailoring a sport specific gym programme and it's recommended that I work on both heavy/low rep exercises and light/very high rep work.

Would it be more beneficial to do this in blocks (i.e. 2 weeks of one type of training and then 2 weeks of the other) or is it better to mix it up.

My low rep work consists of variations on deadlift, squat, pull up, rows, etc. The high volume/intensity work either consists of pylo exercises like box jumps or a circuit where I train the same muscle group continuously (i.e. squats, lunges, leg curl…).

Core/posture work will be included in both types of session.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    I'm tailoring a sport specific gym programme and it's recommended that I work on both heavy/low rep exercises and light/very high rep work.

Would it be more beneficial to do this in blocks (i.e. 2 weeks of one type of training and then 2 weeks of the other) or is it better to mix it up.

My low rep work consists of variations on deadlift, squat, pull up, rows, etc. The high volume/intensity work either consists of pylo exercises like box jumps or a circuit where I train the same muscle group continuously (i.e. squats, lunges, leg curl…).

Core/posture work will be included in both types of session.
    It depends. There's a whole load of variables. At the very least, how advanced you are lifting and what the sport is.

FWIW, I started planning out my year this week. I'm doing them is separate blocks (mesocycles). 2 weeks is a bit short for such block imo, I'd be looking at 4-8 weeks.

Would be be worth having somebody program this for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Mellor wrote: »
    It depends. There's a whole load of variables. At the very least, how advanced you are lifting and what the sport is.

FWIW, I started planning out my year this week. I'm doing them is separate blocks (mesocycles). 2 weeks is a bit short for such block imo, I'd be looking at 4-8 weeks.

Would be be worth having somebody program this for you?

I've done various type of training over the years: olympic lifting, powerlifting, crossfit, callisthenics, etc so I'm already "fit" by normal standards and my form/technique would be good. This year though I need to train more sport specific and I think the only way to do that is to do up a programme and go to a "normal" gym rather than train in a class/group type setting.

My sport is mountain biking - mainly downhill and enduro. I'll be racing from end March to end September. I was intending to focus on an intensive 10 week programme that I could taper for the last two weeks before racing begins and then start a separate maintenance programme during race season.

Yes, I'd love to have someone knowledgeable help me program it but I'm not sure where to look. I know a lot of people who claim to be personal trainers or experts but I wouldn't trust many (possibly any) of them to get me race ready. But I'm open to recommendations or suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It depends what the exercises are for heavy/low-rep and light/high-rep work.

I don't think there is necessarily an issue with heavy compounds mixed with high rep accessory work.

But even within that, I'd be training in 4-week blocks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've done various type of training over the years: olympic lifting, powerlifting, crossfit, callisthenics, etc so I'm already "fit" by normal standards and my form/technique would be good. This year though I need to train more sport specific and I think the only way to do that is to do up a programme and go to a "normal" gym rather than train in a class/group type setting.

My sport is mountain biking - mainly downhill and enduro. I'll be racing from end March to end September. I was intending to focus on an intensive 10 week programme that I could taper for the last two weeks before racing begins and then start a separate maintenance programme during race season.

Yes, I'd love to have someone knowledgeable help me program it but I'm not sure where to look. I know a lot of people who claim to be personal trainers or experts but I wouldn't trust many (possibly any) of them to get me race ready. But I'm open to recommendations or suggestions.

The most important thing to consider is how your gym training effects your sport specific training. The best thing you can do to improve your ability on the bike is spend time on the bike.

Between now and when you start racing I'd concentrate on core work and pre jab work. Basically injury prevention.

I've never done enduro or downhill. Only road and x country mtb. What are the specific demands of enduro you're looking to address in the gym?

Downhill seems like something that's more in the head than the legs. Fair play to you, I've never had the nerve to try it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    The most important thing to consider is how your gym training effects your sport specific training. The best thing you can do to improve your ability on the bike is spend time on the bike.

In an ideal world - but unfortunately the location of my job, traffic and the number of hours in a day limit my bike time! I do fit in 3 spins a week - two at the weekend and one night spin mid-week.
    Brian? wrote: »
    I've never done enduro or downhill. Only road and x country mtb. What are the specific demands of enduro you're looking to address in the gym? .

A lot of core stability work and basic strength work. Then, sport specific versions of normal exercises like bent over rows with my hands at handlebar width to mimic pulling up on the bars before a jump; plyometrics squats/box jumps to mimic jumping & landing stably, KB swings/squats with my toes on a weight plate to mimic the "heels down" position in descents. Lots of single leg work as when descending your legs are in a sort of lunge position for 3-6 minutes at a go. Your legs are moving independently of each other as one foot us forward and one is back.

Just to add, a DH race might only be 1.5 to 3 minutes long but on the Saturday (practice day) you'd easily fit in 10+ runs and then Sunday (race day) you have another 2-3 runs, then your ceding run and finally your race run. Even with no uphill pedalling involved, landing the jumps and getting through the rock gardens 15+ times takes a massive toll on the body.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

In an ideal world - but unfortunately the location of my job, traffic and the number of hours in a day limit my bike time! I do fit in 3 spins a week - two at the weekend and one night spin mid-week.

Have you considered a turbo trainer or Wattbike?
    A lot of core stability work and basic strength work. Then, sport specific versions of normal exercises like bent over rows with my hands at handlebar width to mimic pulling up on the bars before a jump; plyometrics squats/box jumps to mimic jumping & landing stably, KB swings/squats with my toes on a weight plate to mimic the "heels down" position in descents. Lots of single leg work as when descending your legs are in a sort of lunge position for 3-6 minutes at a go. Your legs are moving independently of each other as one foot us forward and one is back.

That seems like a lot of work. I did some reading last year on the gym work pro road cyclists do and I was shocked at how minimalist it was. Lots of front squats was the only real lifting. Then plenty of core work and prehab stuff. Hip and shoulder mobility drills.

This probably doesn't translate to enduro/downhill though. But have you looked into what top level enduro guys do?
    Just to add, a DH race might only be 1.5 to 3 minutes long but on the Saturday (practice day) you'd easily fit in 10+ runs and then Sunday (race day) you have another 2-3 runs, then your ceding run and finally your race run. Even with no uphill pedalling involved, landing the jumps and getting through the rock gardens 15+ times takes a massive toll on the body.

Sounds like interval training on a turbo would be hugely beneficial to you. As well as the stuff mentioned above.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The above is taken from the pro's programmes - both enduro and downhill.

I have done some spin bike training but the body position doesn't translate at all. I have the fitness to pedal the transition climbs in enduro but I struggle to maintain the attack position on the descents and my jumps get very sloppy after the first few runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

By how advanced I meant relative strength rather then fittest. Is easy and more forgiving to get strong if you're weak, compared to getting stronger if your strong.
    What's your current bodyweight, max deadlift and max front squat?

Imo you don't need a two week taper going into the season ilunlees theirs literally an event on day 1. If you have 12 weeks I'd go with two 6 week blocks and straight into maintenance.

It might be hard to differentiate an cyclingbexoert from a pt chancer but there's probably a few promgrams line to look at.

Mellor wrote: »
    By how advanced I meant relative strength rather then fittest. Is easy and more forgiving to get strong if you're weak, compared to getting stronger if your strong.
    What's your current bodyweight, max deadlift and max front squat?

Imo you don't need a two week taper going into the season ilunlees theirs literally an event on day 1. If you have 12 weeks I'd go with two 6 week blocks and straight into maintenance.

It might be hard to differentiate an cyclingbexoert from a pt chancer but there's probably a few promgrams line to look at.

Sorry - misunderstood that. Current bodyweight is 61kg. I haven't tested my max lifts lately as I've focused on single leg versions but they are weaker than they used to be. Squat is probably only 50kg and deadlift around 80kg but I might be slightly underestimating. I used to have 8 strict pull-ups but only have 2 at the moment.

Advertisement