Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW disable start/stop eco stupidity

Options
  • 20-03-2018 8:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I am driving a VW and I've heard that you can get the start-stop eco stupidity permanently switched off. I've been using the switch and I just switch off each time I start the car but I'd like to get it permanently disabled. Its a pain at traffic lights or roundabout as the engine shuts off and by the time it restarts it basically renders the reaction time of the DSG autobox back down to Manual snails pace. It also places alot of unnecessary wear and tear on the starter motor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You need a VCDS tool to do it. Do you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Disconnect the battery monitoring. Its the small connector on the battery negative terminal.
    One way of doing it!

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's not an option on some of the newer cars. It couldn't be done on our Mk7.

If you unplug the switch it stops it working but it leaves an error on the MFD. Might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Doltanian wrote: »
    It also places alot of unnecessary wear and tear on the starter motor.

I've read that this isn't true. They use a different type of starter motor that is built to withstand the stop/start sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

GarIT wrote: »
    I've read that this isn't true. They use a different type of starter motor that is built to withstand the stop/start sequence.

The engine is also conditioned to stop just before TDC on cylinder one to minimise the amount of cranking necessary to restart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

amber2 wrote: »
    There’s an A button with a circle around it to the left Of the gear leaver turns it on and off.

They know that, they want it off permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I just disable it when I think a faster take off is required, then reengage it afterwards, seems to save a good deal of fuel when in use, and obviously if in stop/start traffic cuts down on fumes.

As to reaction times at roundabouts etc. do you (OP) switch the box to S mode to get away faster or rely on the drive settings? When I need to go at busy roundabouts etc.I just flick the gear stick into S mode and then back to Drive/Eco mode, works for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just hit the disable switch. Makes less than no sense to disable it permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I believe you can disable it permanently by changing the changing the parameters on the conditions it needs to work in, you can change the voltage settings or temperature settings, i've never done it but i imagine it's pretty easy, once you have VCDS.

The downside is you will need VCDS to re enable it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I haven't used Sport mode yet, I only managed to test out the Cruise control yesterday for around 5 minutes. I was thinking to disable the on/off feature as my father (elderly) occasionally borrows the car and finds it to be a right balls of a system. But in he's truth he is fond of the automatic, which is attraction to my car to him lol.

I find it a nuisance myself when I forget to turn it off. I am in the country and average 80-100km/h the whole time with very little stop start traffic except the few times I'd go into the cities, towns etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Don't you have to drop into neutral with your foot on the brake for it to shut off the engine anyway?

if you want a quick getaway - just keep the clutch depressed

that's the way it works in mine anyway

lawred2 wrote: »
    Don;t you have to drop into neutral with your foot on the brake for it to shut off the engine anyway?

if you want a quick getaway - just keep the clutch depressed

that's the way it works in mine anyway

Mines a DSG Autobox, keeping my foot on the brake at a stop for more than a second or two e.g. a Junction or Roundabout will switch off the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mines a DSG Autobox, keeping my foot on the brake at a stop for more than a second or two e.g. a Junction or Roundabout will switch off the engine.

ah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If you need to pull off quickly, use your left foot on the brake so you can press the accelerator at the same time. Always worked for me driving hybrids and other automatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'm pretty sure you'll need to get the ECU coded to turn it off permanently.

It should really be a system setting somewhere to have it always on/off and then allow you to turn it off/on at will.

Caliden wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you'll need to get the ECU coded to turn it off permanently.

It should really be a system setting somewhere to have it always on/off and then allow you to turn it off/on at will.

Thats the thing with VCDS your not turning it off per say you are just changing the parameters at which it operates. It's probably a 5 min job.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

On a slightly related note, has anyone thought of how this might affect turbos? I always read that it was bad to turn off the engine straight away when the turbo is hot, and better to leave it run until the turbo cools. My stop/start kicks in straight away when stopping at a toll on the motorway after some spirited driving.

Is there an after run pump on your car ? If so it probably kicks in when the stop start kicks in also.

An after run pump, pumps coolant around the engine for 10 minutes adter switching off.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

OSI wrote: »
    They have an electrical coolant pump that continues to circulate oil through the turbo if it needs cooling post engine shut off.

Nice one, learn something new every day!

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    Nice one, learn something new every day!

You're welcome :D

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    They have an electrical coolant pump that continues to circulate oil through the turbo if it needs cooling post engine shut off.

Oh, I have noticed something humming alright after I switch off the engine and had no idea what it was, I thought it was maybe the fan or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I have it on my manual and being able to control the stop/start with the clutch is a god send .. my wife’s car is a DSG and it is infuriating at lights and roundabouts when you forget to switch it off.

As an aside I’ve well over 300,000km done on mine and no starter motor or turbo issues so not sure where this paranoia comes from

whippet wrote: »
    I have it on my manual and being able to control the stop/start with the clutch is a god send .. my wife’s car is a DSG and it is infuriating at lights and roundabouts when you forget to switch it off.

As an aside I’ve well over 300,000km done on mine and no starter motor or turbo issues so not sure where this paranoia comes from

What are you driving? I've a 2.0L VW Jetta DSG 2015 model. Its good to hear that at 300,000kms, are you servicing at the VW Main dealers or an Independent Mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You don't need VCDS. OBDEleven will do it - far cheaper and suits the casual user much more.

Depending on the model, you can possibly code it so that it remembers last setting... so you switch it off once and never worry about it again - this doesn't work for all models. I know I did this in an A4 but it wasn't possible in a Golf.

When you "disable" it with OBDEleven, the car is effectively coded to raise the battery voltage cut off level (to a point it'll never fall below) at which it thinks its OK to switch off the car. So the "stop" never kicks in then as the car thinks it isn't OK to do so.

Reversing it again to standard is as simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

What are you driving? I've a 2.0L VW Jetta DSG 2015 model. Its good to hear that at 300,000kms, are you servicing at the VW Main dealers or an Independent Mechanic?

It’s a 1.6tdi superb 2011 .. serviced at main dealers for the first 3 years and at an Indy since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I am driving a VW and I've heard that you can get the start-stop eco stupidity permanently switched off. I've been using the switch and I just switch off each time I start the car but I'd like to get it permanently disabled. Its a pain at traffic lights or roundabout as the engine shuts off and by the time it restarts it basically renders the reaction time of the DSG autobox back down to Manual snails pace. It also places alot of unnecessary wear and tear on the starter motor.

The s/s button in vw golf is located on the lhs of the gearstick so it’s easy to find it w/o looking. I usually disable it at the junctions where I need to drive off quickly. On the new golf the s/s shuts the engine before you come to a full stop and restarts it when the car in front move off. This could be annoying if the driver in front keep on creeping forward....
    Btw, pulling back the gearstick from drive position will put the gearbox into the sports mode which good for fast overtaking. Pulling back again will return it into the drive mode. I also find useful manual mode to stop the car constantly changing gears on Cork hills:)

I've also got tiptronic but haven't tried it out yet, I haven't drove a manual car since 2005 so the whole concept of changing gears is alien to me, even without a clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I've also got tiptronic but haven't tried it out yet, I haven't drove a manual car since 2005 so the whole concept of changing gears is alien to me, even without a clutch.

Don't think you'll keep up with the recommend a change up/down display but yeah useful to keep the car in a lower gear going downhill and things like that.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Don't think you'll keep up with the recommend a change up/down display but yeah useful to keep the car in a lower gear going downhill and things like that.

I think it’s used for towing like a small caravan downhill etc. I don’t have a hitch so it’s just another feature I’ll probably never use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think it’s used for towing like a small caravan downhill etc. I don’t have a hitch so it’s just another feature I’ll probably never use.

It's handy for setting off in heavy snow too, chuck it in 2nd or 3rd and off you go.

Advertisement