Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yoga?

• 07-02-2017 10:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭

Is this as good to do as everyone says?

Im tempted to start a program like one of these,

DDP Yoga (kinda beginnery so for me i guess though I fairly fit as I can get through pure cardio insanity vid without a break)
    Deepen Your Practice with Vytas (Intermediatery I think)
    Ultimate Yogi (Advanced but silly long at over an hour?)

They all seem well reviewed, rave reviews even.

I'm not looking to turn into spagetti or anything but I'm tight all over (Job I think) unfit folk seem far more flexible than me or is this "flexible" stuff just the latest fad? I don't know.

What say ye?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's not really a fad, tbf.

Got a voucher and gave it a go a couple of years ago. Found it pretty good for my hips in particular. But I'd had a look to make sure it was something I might actually find useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,614 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

arkrow wrote: »
    It's very good. But not always to the reasons that people suggest imo.
    I'm a big fan of the physical aspect, not so much the metaphysically.
    DDP Yoga (kinda beginnery so for me i guess though I fairly fit as I can get through pure cardio insanity vid without a break)
    If you are stiff and inflexible, then you want a beginner one imo.
    Yoga ability has nothing to do with cardio fitness tbh. It's more about mobility, flexibility, balance and core strength.
    Besides an insanity DVD is a fairly useless measure as it's only as hard as you push it. There's no co-relation between that and a 5km run time for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Mellor is 100% on the ball the almost religious side some people have to it is a bit much for me.

I have done all sorts of yoga but the problem I found was that there was no real focus to it as in no end goal or structure but that could be down to the teachers etc.

The best thing to do is decide what your end goal is eg be able to move pain free, touch your toes etc and then find a program that will get you there. I just call it flexibility work or mobility but it does not sound as mystic as yoga.

If you want a program that has a way to assess yourself and get a set goal my personal favourite is focused flexibility has routines etc but there are a ton of options out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Andy.Kupp87

You have to give it a go and see what type of Yoga works best for you.
    I was always a bit sceptical of yoga but couldn't believe the benefits and the feeling afterwards.
    We are all tight from sitting in chairs all day but I wouldn't worry about it because yoga is something all levels can do together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

arkrow wrote: »

Im tempted to start a program like one of these,

Deepen Your Practice with Vytas (Intermediatery I think)
    Ultimate Yogi (Advanced but silly long at over an hour?)

They all seem well reviewed, rave reviews even.

I'm not looking to turn into spagetti or anything but I'm tight all over (Job I think) unfit folk seem far more flexible than me or is this "flexible" stuff just the latest fad? I don't know.

What say ye?

Yoga is definitely not a fad. It's very good for flexibility and core stability - I can personally attest to that as I noticed improvements in both when I started doing Yoga. I don't do it often any more because the improvements I could make are minimal at this stage but it definitely helped big time when my flexibility and core strength were lacking.

I would recommend going to classes instead of getting dvds like DDP yoga. The place I did classes in is the Elbow Room. There's lots of different ones around but I found that place good because there's classes on every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I got a gift of a few free yoga classes that im taking up next wednesday. Im preparing to be well and truely humbled during it and cant say im looking forward to it at all but know it will be good for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Started yoga to prevent injuries whilst trying to get stronger. It can be physically demanding isometrically, but the benefit has been that I have not had the shoulder pain that I used to get when training. My flexibility is poor but it is getting better. And it is definitely humbling to see people decades older than myself holding poses that I cant even get into.
    Been doing it for 6 months and really look forward to each session. IF you wanted to add end point aims then think of extending your flexibility to levels that you would like to achieve. I managed to touch my toes with straight legs for the first time in over thirty years after 4 months of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

slavedave wrote: »
    Started yoga to prevent injuries whilst trying to get stronger. It can be physically demanding isometrically, but the benefit has been that I have not had the shoulder pain that I used to get when training. My flexibility is poor but it is getting better. And it is definitely humbling to see people decades older than myself holding poses that I cant even get into.
    Been doing it for 6 months and really look forward to each session. IF you wanted to add end point aims then think of extending your flexibility to levels that you would like to achieve. I managed to touch my toes with straight legs for the first time in over thirty years after 4 months of it
    having good mobility isnt important until you realise how much you actually need it

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭diyeys

slavedave wrote: »

Coming from a shoulder injury myself I am thinking on trying Yoga for the very same reason. Nice to see it helped someone with a similar problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, I'm with the others on this - the movement is fine and definitely help with back troubles I was having, but the spiritual side of it is pure nonsense. All "stretch like you're holding a big ball of light". I moved to Pilates after about 6 months which was more on the movement side, and very little on the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Sorry to ressurect an old thread. I did my first yoga class this morning by the sea and really liked the hippy/chanting aspect of it

In a weird way it reminded me of Star trek in that, if you allow yourself to buy into it you'll really enjoy it but if you just take it at face value it will seem ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I've returned to Yoga following a very, very long time away from it ( I won't say how long for fear of giving my age away), but I'm finding it helpful - Though to be honest, I don't have one tenth of the flexibility I once had. I'm a regular lap swimmer, and also recently returned to weightlifting ( a glutton for punishment I am). The yoga is definitely a boon and I recommend whichever form of it a person decides to follow. I don't get religious about it, and merely see it as a good exercise to complement and balance the other ones that I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I've returned to Yoga following a very, very long time away from it ( I won't say how long for fear of giving my age away), but I'm finding it helpful - Though to be honest, I don't have one tenth of the flexibility I once had. I'm a regular lap swimmer, and also recently returned to weightlifting ( a glutton for punishment I am). The yoga is definitely a boon and I recommend whichever form of it a person decides to follow. I don't get religious about it, and merely see it as a good exercise to complement and balance the other ones that I do.

How much do you pay coincidentally?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Anonymouspink

i think regular practice can help with strength flexibility and fitness

For me the spiritual side works in that it’s good to spend time in moving meditation simply cause it’s good got the mind. I also like the non attachment and letting go philosophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Acey10

Anyone have any experience opinions on hot yoga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Mindfulness + stretching = yoga. Mindfulness and stretching have massive massive proven benefits. if the teacher goes beyond that into chakras my head explodes and I don't come back. Most Yoga poses nowadays have been taken directly from physiotherapy. Avoid the ones that involve squishing your head into the floor, I don't know where they are from but they aren't physio and they aren't "ancient yogic wisdom" either.

I'm a bit suspicious of hot yoga because I think it encourages people to over stretch and injure themselves, i worry if it is suitable for beginners, because beginners are more inclined to think "no pain no gain" and stretch too far and hurt themselves. Muscle pain / "feel the burn" is ok when you are exercising, but when you are stretching it is to be avoided.Also, it is often done in these large venues where you don't get a lot of input into whether or not you are doing the poses safely

"Loren Fishman, assistant clinical professor at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia University, tells me that 50 percent of participants in hot yoga classes were found to be dehydrated. Dehydration may seem like no big deal, but the truth is that it can be very dangerous. " That's from a Vice / Tonic article.

Loren Fishman is great, qualified doctor AND yoga enthusiast, he knows where it's at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah, there's no real mindfulness in yoga for me. Great for flexibility and mobility though. Hips used to feel magic after it.

Did hot yoga cos it was the class time that suited me. Yoga with added sweat.

Advertisement