Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why ?

Options
  • 04-07-2013 12:05pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why has this sub forum been created and why with this name ?

I don't understand the logic behind creating a forum with a title like this, it seems unnecessarily inflammatory!!

Fair enough, a forum called something like "Bus & Coach" would be fine, but for the first time in boards history, I feel a forum has been created in a form of a troll!

Certainly the title of this forum as it currently stands is very troll like.

If we are creating new forums under C&T, then I would also love to see one something like: "Cycle Commuting, Utility and Infrastructure"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I presume the name is to avoid any confusion about what threads are put here as opposed to the general Commuting and Transport. A Bus Enthusiast sub-forum is what was requested and voted on, and that is what was received.

If you feel strongly enough about the Cycle Commuting, Utility and Infrastructure sub forum there is nothing stopping you from requesting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think it's a good idea and have suggested to the Mods that the Train and Rail one be renamed Rail enthusiasts as it defines what should be posted better. If you had a sub forum called Bus and Coach, you would get loads of posts asking what time the 46a goes etc which belong in Commuting and Transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I'd consider myself a bus enthusiast, so I've no problem with the sub-forum title.

Whatever happened to the plans for a forum on utility/commuting cycling though? I remember there being a huge debate on the forum request forum, did the admin ever come to a conclusion regarding that, or has the idea been put to sleep?

I read the current cycling forum from time to time and while there's some great posters over there I feel the forum just isn't for me. You see, a tweed flat-cap is my helmet, shirt and slacks my Lycra, Blarney Brogs my cleats and a 15kg Dutch style bike my Giant ;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

with a name like 'bus enthusiast' is sounds like it belongs with the likes of classic cars under the motoring header rather than a C&T related forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I assumed it was to stifle debate about Bus Vs Train.:D

You stand there and you stand over there. Pull the cord when you want to get off.:D

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I assumed it was to stifle debate about Bus Vs Train.:D

You stand there and you stand over there. Pull the cord when you want to get off.:D

:D

on the contrary, such debate belongs under Commuting and Transport mainstream, just as threads about Buses for their own sake belong here (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Better than 'Bus w@nker', innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I really don't see the need for a forum like this, there surely isn't enough traffic for it to warrant it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

bk wrote: »
    Why has this sub forum been created and why with this name ?

I don't understand the logic behind creating a forum with a title like this, it seems unnecessarily inflammatory!!

Fair enough, a forum called something like "Bus & Coach" would be fine, but for the first time in boards history, I feel a forum has been created in a form of a troll!

Certainly the title of this forum as it currently stands is very troll like.

If we are creating new forums under C&T, then I would also love to see one something like: "Cycle Commuting, Utility and Infrastructure"

Agreed, but in fairness: It's the name the requester asked for and you did not dissagree at the time: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056734688/1/#post84093962

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

How about Buses & Bus Systems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

What is this sub forum for? People who like busses and want to talk about it? I have seen very few threads about this in C&T.
    Is it even in its place here? A bus is a motorised vehicle so surely "Motors" would be a more suitable home for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

monument wrote: »
    Agreed, but in fairness: It's the name the requester asked for and you did not dissagree at the time: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056734688/1/#post84093962

You posted a mobile link, so it's kind of hard to follow but it appears the person who originally requested the forum is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

bigar wrote: »
    What is this sub forum for? People who like busses and want to talk about it? I have seen very few threads about this in C&T.
    Is it even in its place here? A bus is a motorised vehicle so surely "Motors" would be a more suitable home for this?
    So is a train, should we move the Train and Rail Systems subforum over there also?

It wouldn't be hard to change the name of the forum surely??

you would have a forum about Football for Football fans to discuss their love of the game why not a forum DEDICATED to people being bus fans or train fans? ... Forums which are moderated to ensure that posts such as "what time is my bus/train?" are excluded.

Bus Enthusiasts is the correct title of such a thread....Train and Rail Systems is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the sub heading is a bit condescending is it not?

glad it's not just me who thinks so...I put it down as humour...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

corktina wrote: »
    glad it's not just me who thinks so...I put it down as humour...

Just goes to show you.....sure'n EVERYBODY knows Bus Enthusiasts are famously humourless.....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Subheading maybe, but it is only a small thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Vahevala wrote: »
    I really don't see the need for a forum like this, there surely isn't enough traffic for it to warrant it?
    There were lots of threads concerning the attributes of actual buses versus their day-to-day function in public transport, so yes.

Why post here if that question is going to be bothered to be asked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have no great love for buses and I'm delighted to see them hived off - out of harms way - and it would certainly be no harm to rename the train spotters sub-forum so that people are forewarned. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement