Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If RTE don't renew Ray Darcy's contract ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

As I pointed out yesterday on another thread the most astonishing part of this for me was the speed at which this has been put to bed. Normally these cases takes 6-12months and beyond. It appears that all you need to do in RTis say you’ll sue and presto - settlement.

I assume Cox gave the money she got in her settlement to an age-related charity seeing as she took her case because she was so concerned with ageism. :rolleyes:

I'm more surprised that they were contracting someone to read out yesterdays news from the papers to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are they entitled to a pension plan and other such benefits though? I wouldn’t have thought so. Those contract arrangements are a bit of a minefield for employers it seems to me. Somebody who has spent nearly 20 years working for the same company can’t really be validly described as a freelance/contractor. How would that have gone down before an employment tribunal?

If they are then revenue should be going after them for more taxes, they can't claim to be self employed contractors, with the tax efficiencies, with full employment protection on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Del2005 wrote: »
    If they are then revenue should be going after them for more taxes, they can't claim to be self employed contractors, with the tax efficiencies, with full employment protection on top.

I’m certainly no employment law expert but what you are saying seems pretty much spot on and I have read newspaper reports about revenue crackdowns in this area but have no idea what factual basis there is in that.

There are rules governing how freelance/contract employment works, but how closely are they observed? How can somebody like Martina Fitzgerald be considered anything other than a full time RTÉ employee when that is what she is? The same with Ray D’arcy or Pat Kenny at Newstalk. What percentage of their income comes from work outside of their employer? A tiny one I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But RTe don't employ Tubs or Darcy themselves, they contract then via the presenters own companies, who then pay them a wage, and make use of any tax loopholes possible to pay as little tax.

Why should they be allowed to set up as independent companies and be employed in that fashion though? What’s to stop any employee in any job to do the same and enjoy the same loopholes? Is it because the likes of tubberdy and Darcy are big stars and earn big salaries? Maybe somebody with knowledge of employment law can explain it. Maybe there’s nothing wrong with it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

RTE made a good decision bringing Ray D'arcy back cause since he has left Today FM their ratings have taken a nose dive

It has allowed 2fm to overtake them in the Monday-Friday JNLR listenership figures

I know a lot of people here have no love for the guy but his listenership figures on Today FM were about 70,000 higher than what Dermot & Dave have now in the same time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

gamecube wrote: »
    RTE made a good decision bringing Ray D'arcy back cause since he has left Today FM their ratings have taken a nose dive

It has allowed 2fm to overtake them in the Monday-Friday JNLR listenership figures

I know a lot of people here have no love for the guy but his listenership figures on Today FM were about 70,000 higher than what Dermot & Dave have now in the same time slot.

So RTÉ took out Ray D’Arcy to boost 2fm ratings, but at the same time Saturday Night takes a nose dive on TV while he makes no impact on Radio 1???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why should they be allowed to set up as independent companies and be employed in that fashion though? What’s to stop any employee in any job to do the same and enjoy the same loopholes? Is it because the likes of tubberdy and Darcy are big stars and earn big salaries? Maybe somebody with knowledge of employment law can explain it. Maybe there’s nothing wrong with it at all.

I think a lot of these 'big stars' do it, probably not that many in Ireland but I remember reading that the UK is fond of it.

Nothing illegal in it at all of course. All well within their rights to do it that way, as companies probably can find ways of avoiding paying taxes more than a simple employee. They may well be able to right off more against expenses.

Joe Duffy afaik is also contracted by RTia his own company, CladdaghGreen Ltd:

https://www.vision-net.ie/Company-Info/Claddaghgreen-Limited-185841

https://www.independent.ie/business/media/joe-duffy-dials-up-458000-in-accumulated-profits-at-his-media-firm-35520174.html

Elmo wrote: »
    So RTÉ took out Ray D’Arcy to boost 2fm ratings, but at the same time Saturday Night takes a nose dive on TV while he makes no impact on Radio 1???

His ratings are 25,000 more than what Mooney had in the same time slot on Radio 1.

Giving him the Saturday night slot was the only way to bring him back to RTE.

It cannot be a coincidence that Today FM ratings started to downturn after he left & 2fm ratings went only upwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'm not biting on any of this 'RTE play clever getting RD back' at all.

It's been a disaster for them. He has turned out to be appalling at both the radio and TV shows. The TV show in particular, is frankly embarrassing. It's like something from the early 80's.

If you need further proof just ask where are the sponsors gone? At least at the start RTE managed to recoup some of the profane fees he gets but now it's all coming out of the RTE budget.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think a lot of these 'big stars' do it, probably not that many in Ireland but I remember reading that the UK is fond of it.

Nothing illegal in it at all of course. All well within their rights to do it that way, as companies probably can find ways of avoiding paying taxes more than a simple employee. They may well be able to right off more against expenses.

Joe Duffy afaik is also contracted by RTia his own company, CladdaghGreen Ltd:

https://www.vision-net.ie/Company-Info/Claddaghgreen-Limited-185841

https://www.independent.ie/business/media/joe-duffy-dials-up-458000-in-accumulated-profits-at-his-media-firm-35520174.html

I believe there are EU regulations concerning the area of contract work but how they work in practice I’ve no idea. It might not be in any way illegal the way things work, but is it ethical? That’s the question I’d be asking.

It obviously suits both employer (doesn’t have to worry about benefits) and employee (gains from tax loopholes), but then I’d wonder why don’t more companies set up this way? Why don’t google/amazon etc make all their employees contractors? I don’t see what would be stopping them if RTÉ can do it. Or is it something more exclusive to the entertainment industry and others like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,678 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I'm not biting on any of this 'RTE play clever getting RD back' at all.

It's been a disaster for them. He has turned out to be appalling at both the radio and TV shows. The TV show in particular, is frankly embarrassing. It's like something from the early 80's.

If you need further proof just ask where are the sponsors gone? At least at the start RTE managed to recoup some of the profane fees he gets but now it's all coming out of the RTE budget.

You may not have read on this page that the radio audience increased by 25,000. How is that a disaster? The people on the forums certainly think he is appalling, but not appalling enough to switch off apparently.

They know every mispronunciation and every wrong button press. And how many minutes the Nuacht is late. A few dozen very dedicated and discerning listeners, but perhaps less forgiving than the general public who don't feel the need to join the internet discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Are they entitled to a pension plan and other such benefits though? I wouldn’t have thought so. Those contract arrangements are a bit of a minefield for employers it seems to me. Somebody who has spent nearly 20 years working for the same company can’t really be validly described as a freelance/contractor. How would that have gone down before an employment tribunal?

As self employed people or proprietary directors of limited companies, they can put a load of their very generous money into pension plans, tax free!

You may not have read on this page that the radio audience increased by 25,000. How is that a disaster?

I don't believe or trust the figures. Seems the sponsors don't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,678 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I don't believe or trust the figures. Seems the sponsors don't either.

Quite common around these parts. In which circumstance I always ask for the real figures, if you have them.

Does RTE have sponsored programmes?

Quite common around these parts. In which circumstance I always ask for the real figures, if you have them.

Does RTE have sponsored programmes?

Of course I don't have figures, but you knew that and were just being your usual self-righteous self. If you're naive enough to believe any set of figures thrown out there, then that's fine.

"Does RTE have sponsored programmes?"- Wow!

I won't be engaging with you any further.

Jesus, I hope my spelling, grammar and punctuation are okay or I'm fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭zephyro

I believe there are EU regulations concerning the area of contract work but how they work in practice I’ve no idea. It might not be in any way illegal the way things work, but is it ethical? That’s the question I’d be asking.

It obviously suits both employer (doesn’t have to worry about benefits) and employee (gains from tax loopholes), but then I’d wonder why don’t more companies set up this way? Why don’t google/amazon etc make all their employees contractors? I don’t see what would be stopping them if RTÉ can do it. Or is it something more exclusive to the entertainment industry and others like it?

These are the Revenue criteria but they're not enforced, so they're missing out on a good chunk of employers PRSI and lost tax from increased pension contributions as many IT and pharma companies especially do exactly what you suggest and engage large numbers of "contractors" that are effectively employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Also, I wonder what has happened with Will and his wife? They were initially part of the show and presumably this was the reason that RTE chose to forgo their own production staff and take these two to RTE as well. Both used to contribute to the on air show, but are now rarely heard from (if ever?).

The less anyone hears from Will the better. Towards the end of their time on Today FM he thought it was a great idea to give out loads of TV spoilers about how various TV shows ended etc. It didn't go down very well. :mad:

If Ray D'Arcy did leave RTE I think Today FM would have him back again in a heartbeat.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

gamecube wrote: »
    If Ray D'Arcy did leave RTE I think Today FM would have him back again in a heartbeat.
    I don't think he left Today FM in particularly amicable terms so I really doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

I wouldn't really say Darcy left Today FM on bad terms, he got a better offer from RTE, it was just business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Jay Zee wrote: »
    I wouldn't really say Darcy left Today FM on bad terms, he got a better offer from RTE, it was just business.

I'm not sure how the Today FM staff would feel. They had a little party for her when she left in June 2014, when she said that she was leaving to "look after the kids". Then she turns up in RTE with D'Arcy and Will Hanafin six months later.

If she made a gobsh1te out of me like that, I certainly wouldn't welcome her back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Well it looks like his farce of a TV show is going to be axed, are they going to continue paying him 450k for just a 90 minute afternoon radio slot ? https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/3648084/ray-darcys-saturday-night-show-ending-two-months-early/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,405 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No doubt the Raymond want's time to be with his family card will be played to make RTE look greater than Jesus.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

I wouldn’t give Raymond the dole.

Tabloids suggesting that his TV show has been axed, and it will finish in march rather than Early May/Late April, he was back in Sept a month early this year.

Re: Ray D'Arcy V Derek Money. Derek had lost listerners but from what I can gather he ranged from 198,000 to 221,000, Darcy Brought this back to 221,000 but I don't see how he's worth the wage he was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Irish people must love hearing about disease as that's all Darcy seems to talk about.

Not to derail your thread OP, but I was wondering the same thing about Pat Kenny. I don't think RTÉ would take him back, at least not on radio, and surely this has to be factored in to pay negotiations, if it hasn't already been?

Where else would he go?

Don't listen to D'Arcy on radio, or to Today FM, so can't really speculate on him

• Advertisement

Not to derail your thread OP, but I was wondering the same thing about Pat Kenny. I don't think RTÉ would take him back, at least not on radio, and surely this has to be factored in to pay negotiations, if it hasn't already been?

I'd say RTÉ could only justify Pat Kenny returning by only allowing him on Radio, his Virgin Media (TV3/UTV Ireland) shows really didn't help him.

Advertisement