Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If RTE don't renew Ray Darcy's contract ?

Options
  • 20-12-2018 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Would Today Fm take him back ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

No

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'd say RTÉ have a 3 year deal with D'Arcy. Same goes for tubrity. Unlikely that they will not renew it.

The deal is simple. RTÉ offered 400,000, this seems low, and gets them away with saying he was on more in Today FM, but the following year regardless of audience he will be on 450,000 and I assume he'll get a bump in the final year 2017, meaning RTÉ have already renew his 3 year contract.

Same goes for Tubs, he's been given 495,000 as a drop, but only on the condition he retains it for 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bella Doyle

It was such a stupid business decision to sign Darcy when he was a baldy old man and past his sell by date, if they had signed him back around 2003-2006 when he was popular and fresh it would have made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

He might spark 'outrage' again by threatening to emigrate just like he did some years back on the Late Late show before a general election. Said he would leave the country if Enda Kenny became Taoiseach. Ends won but Darcy stayed put.
    It was nothing more than a charade of course, a stunt to get Bertie/FF more votes at a time when the party were on a downward spiral.
    This guy is a bluffer of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

He should never have been brought in to RTE again, it was an absolute waste of money for a grumpy old curmudgeon who is way past his best.

• Advertisement

It was such a stupid business decision to sign Darcy when he was a baldy old man and past his sell by date, if they had signed him back around 2003-2006 when he was popular and fresh it would have made sense.

RTÉ avoided him for years, he was unlikely to be on Radio, he'd had a few Radio Shows on RTÉ before moving to TodayFM which didn't work. TodayFM used him to lead out of Dempsey.

Look who's joined our Den! was the tag line at the time.

RTÉ are still paying too much for their "stars", he does well on Radio but so did Mooney in that time slot, his chat show on TV has taken a dive, The Saturday Night Show far out did it, strange decision to ditch it for D'Arcy at its height.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bring back Mooney :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What happened Moony? He was likeable enough the few times I came across him. Yer one whatshername he had on with him was a deal breaker though.

Darcy is clueless.

kneemos wrote: »
    What happened Moony? He was likeable enough the few times I came across him. Yer one whatshername he had on with him was a deal breaker though.

He moved to the weekends. He decided to take a break, IMO he might have been stressed after 10+ years doing radio and Winning Streak. (Just the impression I got from the articles I read).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Mooney also became "the head of wildlife" in RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

D'Arcy was great until he had an opinion. You need to have an opinion at the beginning and carry it through life with you, a bit like Gerry Ryan. He always had an opinion and people always knew what it was and most agreed with it. I'm drunk, I should go home, wait a minute this is my home. Time for bed ;-)

Just a passenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It'd be a good day for broadcasting. The mind genuinely boggles at why they signed him up. He's a gaffe prone presenter with a bad attitude. That radio slot is almost bombproof so there's no need to be paying him and his entourage the ridiculous money they're getting. Especially as we know RTE is in financial difficulties. He is overpaid and he's not the only one. I can't think of any national station that'd snap him up if he was axed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

He is unbearable at this stage. I don’t know anyone that likes him or watches the show.
    It all went wrong with the wife.
    He wasn’t too bad before she ruined him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's going too far to suggest his wife ruined him. From what I've heard about him, the personality traits we now see were always there. It's just that we now see them. I still think he's an odd selection for an afternoon radio show. He's not a particularly likeable or versatile broadcaster, he makes a lot of mistakes and his Today FM radio show was on the slide when RTE snapped him up. Thankfully I have access to an Off button and other radio programmes are available :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't be a fan of his, and would rarely listen to his radio show, but any time I do I am shocked by just how unprofessional he comes across.

Makes mistakes every single day without fail. He's been DJing for a couple of decades now but still seems incapable of locating the right buttons.

And his ability to read seems to be very low too. Can't read out texts properly without pausing....between...every....word...like ...a ..child...in...national....schoool.

Whoever decided he was worth half a million each year should have been chased.

NIMAN wrote: »
    And his ability to read seems to be very low too. Can't read out texts properly without pausing....between...every....word...like ...a ..child...in...national....schoool.

This drives me crazy as well. And when reads out a headline in that same manner and then just starts sniggering to himself, usually something about how the Wibbly Wobbly Wonder was the most popular ice cream or similar.

Also, I wonder what has happened with Will and his wife? They were initially part of the show and presumably this was the reason that RTE chose to forgo their own production staff and take these two to RTE as well. Both used to contribute to the on air show, but are now rarely heard from (if ever?).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If they don't, can he then sue and get a big payout...............

That was certainly the first thing I thought about when this thread was suggested. Like the Valerie Cox nonsense - they didn't renew her contract and still she successfully sued them. I'd say Martina Fitzgerald is probably thinking the same thing, I'm expecting a court case there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

This drives me crazy as well. And when reads out a headline in that same manner and then just starts sniggering to himself, usually something about how the Wibbly Wobbly Wonder was the most popular ice cream or similar.

Also, I wonder what has happened with Will and his wife? They were initially part of the show and presumably this was the reason that RTE chose to forgo their own production staff and take these two to RTE as well. Both used to contribute to the on air show, but are now rarely heard from (if ever?).

As far as I know, and am open to correction on this, both his wife and Will Hanafin were removed from the production side after the bai judgement against him last year (to do with the abortion referendum issue iirc). I don’t mean fired from rte, just reassigned to another slot. I guess as a sort of compromise and to have a more objective input into proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I blame the producers on rte radio. They seem to have decided to make death and disease light entertainment. Not a day goes by without them interviewing someone with a terrible illness. It's so morbid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The very sound of his voice brings me out in a rash. He is a painful know it all.

RTE don't have the cojones to cut him loose though, we'll probably be stuck with him forever. Personally I turn the channel as soon as he comes on.

Darcy's inability to press the right buttons in a studio has almost become a joke by now - I just laugh when he does it.

It's his complete lack of empathy with guests and his bizarre ability to make people feel uncomfortable that I find weird.

He could have a woman in talking about her child with a terminal illness (which seems to be their default piece!) and he'd somehow object to something the person has to say and feel the need to challenge them on something.

The fact that he uses his show as a soap box for his curmudgeonly opinions is also irritating.

If he could just facilitate people with telling their stories without getting in the way all the time it would be fine. As it is, he makes for excruciating radio.

He’s on contract he’s not an employee.

Elmo wrote: »
    He’s on contract he’s not an employee.

But you may be making the mistake in thinking that having your staff on contracts gives you the right not to renew that contract.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/rt%C3%A9-ordered-to-pay-50-000-to-former-employee-valerie-cox-1.3435712

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Mooney also became "the head of wildlife" in RTE

Good to see the licence money isn't being wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If you haven't already watched this, do:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That was certainly the first thing I thought about when this thread was suggested. Like the Valerie Cox nonsense - they didn't renew her contract and still she successfully sued them. I'd say Martina Fitzgerald is probably thinking the same thing, I'm expecting a court case there as well.

She's gotten her payoff :rolleyes: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/martina-fitzgerald-will-leave-rt-after-being-given-substantial-payout-37650792.html

I was actually just reading the thread on After Hours about Martina Fitzgerald and was about to post again. It really is ridiculous. The contract staff get all the advantages of being a contractor, AND all the advantages of a permanent staff member.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

As I pointed out yesterday on another thread the most astonishing part of this for me was the speed at which this has been put to bed. Normally these cases takes 6-12months and beyond. It appears that all you need to do in RTÉ is say you’ll sue and presto - settlement.

I assume Cox gave the money she got in her settlement to an age-related charity seeing as she took her case because she was so concerned with ageism. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I was actually just reading the thread on After Hours about Martina Fitzgerald and was about to post again. It really is ridiculous. The contract staff get all the advantages of being a contractor, AND all the advantages of a permanent staff member.

Are they entitled to a pension plan and other such benefits though? I wouldn’t have thought so. Those contract arrangements are a bit of a minefield for employers it seems to me. Somebody who has spent nearly 20 years working for the same company can’t really be validly described as a freelance/contractor. How would that have gone down before an employment tribunal?

Advertisement