Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Partial points to Srameen and Beasty.

Jingle Bells was written in 1857 by Pierpont (and was called "One Horse Open Sleigh" at the time.) The connections: It was written to commemorate the Medford sleigh races at the time and went on to be the first song broadcast from space!

One question from each of you please :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What's the connection between Ruth Ellis and a pub called the Last Drop Inn in Bromley Cross, Bolton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Beasty wrote: »
    What's the connection between Ruth Ellis and a pub called the Last Drop Inn in Bromley Cross, Bolton?

Was the pub's landlord the man who hanged her? Albert Pierrepoint?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

BUMP!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Also, just a question to keep us going: an egg-white is called albumen or... what?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

feargale wrote: »
    Was the pub's landlord the man who hanged her? Albert Pierrepoint?
    Yes it was - sorry for taking so long to get back.

It was named the Last Drop after he retired from his hanging "business". Ellis was his penultimate hanging (he also hanged Lord Haw Haw). His father was previously a landlord, and indeed a hangman.

New Home wrote: »
    Also, just a question to keep us going: an egg-white is called albumen or... what?
    or an "egg-white":p

or an "egg-white":p

:rolleyes:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

New Home wrote: »
    Glaire (autocorrect insists on Claire)

I had seen it spelt as Glair, but, surprisingly enough, Srameen gets it.

• Advertisement

What is a Desire Path?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,777 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well now I managed to get to the age I am without ever coming across the word glaire! New one on me!

Desire Path...something to do with potatoes? Could be mixing it up with Desiree :D

Edit - just looked it up, well waddooyeknow! Another new one.

What is a Desire Path?

There's a Lovers' Lane near my neck of the woods... :pac:

What is a Desire Path?

There so many answers I want to give but too many young and delicate ears here :D

It’s a track created by animals to get directly to somewhere. E.g a cattle track created by them travelling the same route every time or even a track created by humans walking the same route through a forest every time. Etc. Basically a path created by through-traffic?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    There so many answers I want to give but too many young and delicate ears here :D

It’s a track created by animals to get directly to somewhere. E.g a cattle track created by them travelling the same route every time or even a track created by humans walking the same route through a forest every time. Etc. Basically a path created by through-traffic?

That's it
    1307255998_12b99297d6_b.jpg

"The Road More Travelled", so?

Similar tack as I have nothing prepared - name the 4 types of erosion?

Glacial, aeolian, gravitational,....secondary school geography is failing me now......hydraulic, chemical.

Glacial, aeolian, gravitational,....secondary school geography is failing me now......hydraulic, chemical.

My apologies. I left out the most important word.

I want the 4 types of *river* erosion!

Yes it was - sorry for taking so long to get back.

It was named the Last Drop after he retired from his hanging "business". Ellis was his penultimate hanging (he also hanged Lord Haw Haw). His father was previously a landlord, and indeed a hangman.

Clearly a man who liked his job and could have a laugh and a joke about it.

A century ago a distant relative of mine who was a pillar of a small town was asked for a reference by a layabout who wanted the advertised job of His Majesty's hangman (probably assistant executioner as the Pierrepoints seem to have wrapped up the no. 1 position.) My relative had difficulty compiling a glowing reference, to put it mildly, and simply stated that the applicant would make an excellent hangman.

I owe a question (or two):
    Who was the first US president to visit Europe:
    (a) in office; (b) out of office; (c) after vacating the office?

One third of a question owed by each correct respondent.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    Clearly a man who liked his job and could have a laugh and a joke about it.

A century ago a distant relative of mine who was a pillar of a small town was asked for a reference by a layabout who wanted the advertised job of His Majesty's hangman (probably assistant executioner as the Pierrepoints seem to have wrapped up the no. 1 position.) My relative had difficulty compiling a glowing reference, to put it mildly, and simply stated that the applicant would make an excellent hangman.

I owe a question (or two):
    Who was the first US president to visit Europe:
    (a) in office; (b) out of office; (c) after vacating the office?

One third of a question owed by each correct respondent.

Jefferson was in France prior to taking office, Wilson visited at the end of WW1 and I'll have to think about the one who visited after vacating the office.

That's it
    1307255998_12b99297d6_b.jpg

I'd say the owners of the pale blue house got their kids to run marathons where that track is.
    The first element of the Irish word bóthar (road) is bó (cow) for the same reason as explained. Cows made a track e.g. to a river to drink and the track eventually became a road. Cows aren't very good at Euclid ("shortest distance between two points is a straight line",) hence the winding Irish roads.

Jefferson was in France prior to taking office, Wilson visited at the end of WW1 and I'll have to think about the one who visited after vacating the office.

Wilson is correct. Keep working on the others.

My apologies. I left out the most important word.

I want the 4 types of *river* erosion!

Just a bump.

I have to give you this because my computer is going in for a service. Wilson is right. John Adams (and his son John Quincy) arrived in Spain on 1st April 1778 on diplomatic business that ultimately took him to France and the Netherlands. That was a few years before Jefferson.
    That question is slightly muddied by Andrew Jackson. It is generally accepted that he was born in America, but one or two local historians in Ulster believe ihe was born in Carrickfergus before his parents emigrated. Others say he was born on the voyage.
    Ex-president Grant circumnavigated the world 1877-1879, visiting several places including Belfast. He was of Ulster Scots descent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

tsk tsk too may questions not enough time

Just a bump.

Abrasion, corrosion, attrition and hydraulic.

Abrasion, corrosion, attrition and hydraulic.

Correct, thought that would go faster. Will have to drag up some more bits from my college days :)

I'm going to throw in a question just...because (IrishZeus gave me the idea :D)

Does anyone know what the following signifies -

pee bee tee dee chay jay kay gay eff vee ith thee ess zee ish shee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

looksee wrote: »

Is this to do with a language that has the smallest/shortest alphabet?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

No.

looksee wrote: »

It’s Pitman shorthand. Question right up my street - I run a business in the English language sector :D

Oh well done! It came to mind from your comment about college, that chant goes on interminably and I always hated shorthand, though it got me a couple of good jobs!

What connects Austria, Botswana, Nepal and Serbia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

What connects Austria, Botswana, Nepal and Serbia?

Assuming it's not the letter a, will go with landlocked.

• Advertisement

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Assuming it's not the letter a, will go with landlocked.

Yep, all landlocked.

Another what connects Q,

What connects the below countries.

Nigeria
    Belize
    Brazil
    Australia
    Pakistan

Another what connects Q,

What connects the below countries.

Nigeria
    Belize
    Brazil
    Australia
    Pakistan

The capital is not the biggest city, perhaps??

The capital is not the biggest city, perhaps??

Close, but no cigar.

Not the answer I was looking for.

Close, but no cigar.

Not the answer I was looking for.

All "planned" cities then.

• Advertisement

All "planned" cities then.

Again, some might tick that box, but it is something to do with the capitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Capital furthest distance from the geographical centres?

Quazzie wrote:
    Capital furthest distance from the geographical centres?

Nope

Capital cities are not the largest cities in respective countries

Capital cities used to be elsewhere? In the sense that the capitals used to be other cities, not that the cities actually moved...

New Home wrote:
    Capital cities used to be elsewhere? In the sense that the capitals used tobe other cities, not that the cities actually moved...

Yep, capital cities changed in the respective countries.

\o/

Yep, capital cities changed in the respective countries.

As in they were moved to the 'planned' cities????? :p

As in they were moved to the 'planned' cities?????

Some were moved to existing cities. A plan I'm sure was done for the move. Not a city especially built as a 'planned city' is.

Don't you be going down the semantics road. (There was no planning got for it,) :P

What are nonpareils and what does the word mean?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement