Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silage 2021

• 11-04-2021 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

Here we go again for a new season :)

Has anyone their fertiliser out on silage ground yet.
    I'm holding off here until temperatures pick up a bit as it's expensive stuff this year to be wasting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Sami23 wrote: »

I'm holding off here until temperatures pick up a bit as it's expensive stuff this year to be wasting.

Think most have it out, defo a lot went out in the last few days above all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Grueller

All out this last ten days or so. Hope to be cutting about the 15th of May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Out 3 weeks
    Plan was to cut around may 15th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Same as here. Aiming for next weekend for the fertilizer as the temperature seems to be moving back to normal. That will be for end of May cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Picked up from stores yesterday.

Heavy night frosts here still.

Probably shake it out late this week looking at forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Sami23

Out 3 weeks
    Plan was to cut around may 15th

But damn all growth for last few weeks so will that push back ur cutting date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'll be cutting a decent few acres mid may regardless of growth, I need the quality silage for milkers. Haven't gone out with a wild amount of fert on the silage ground, likes of 70units, I'll see how the weather goes and when rain and temperatures are on their way I'll then aim for my 90units drycow silage, which I don't really care as much about the cutting date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Will shake silage ground one evening this week when temps pick up, got slurry last Feb so won't be going heavy, aim to cut then late May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Out since 15 March here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

All out on main crop for dry cows mainly aiming for last week /10 days may ,first bit for Milker’s early may ,maize ground all ready to go in next week/10 days as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I put out about 55N/acre about 2 weeks ago. Have a good cover already as not grazed. Will top up this week now. Going for 20th May cut or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Going to graze off the ground first. After the mild winter its full of soft grass and dead material. So I won't be closing up till the end of April. Then it'll be a coat of Slurry followed by 1 bag of SulCan 3 weeks later. Aim to cut 1st week in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Finished grazing it a few days ago. Got slurry plus urea pre grazing. Some of it got 30 units this week will go again with another 30 to 40 once it is definitely stopped. Will give one field another coat of slurry as well. Aim to cut mid to end of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

With the coming week looking to be both hard and dry, is it dodgy shaking any yet until softer, moister weather is forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

85 Units of N went out last week, after a quick graze with the smaller cattle.
    Target Silage Cut circa May 31 st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It wasn't grazed so decent cover on it, trying to get 3 cuts and a grazing off this ground so can't really leave it go any later or it'll push the rest of the cuts out
    Trying to go all quality here

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭k mac

Have 6 acres fairly bare that had sheep on it for the winter. Have a 3 bay tank of slurry to put out, should i put out the slurry first and then follow with the fert. How many bags to the acre of fert would i need, dont want a huge group would like quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

k mac wrote: »
    Have 6 acres fairly bare that had sheep on it for the winter. Have a 3 bay tank of slurry to put out, should i put out the slurry first and then follow with the fert. How many bags to the acre of fert would i need, dont want a huge group would like quality.
    Perfect conditions for slurry, plus you have bare ground. Slurry first then follow with 1 to 1.5 bags of CAN in 3 weeks later

Anyone get prices for silage wrap yet? Has it increased as predicted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭endainoz

Going to graze off the ground first. After the mild winter its full of soft grass and dead material. So I won't be closing up till the end of April. Then it'll be a coat of Slurry followed by 1 bag of SulCan 3 weeks later. Aim to cut 1st week in July

I'll be doing something similar to yourself boots, without the sulcan of course! I have another week or so in the meadow. Bull and two dry cows are in the WBC plot, so the regular grazing ground is getting a break to catch up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Silage 2021 is a go here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭DBK1

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Silage 2021 is a go here
    There was a Claas Cougar mowing near here today. Serious machine to cover ground. Can’t be too many of them in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Silage 2021 is a go here

Not enough cows!

Silage 2021 is a go here

What's that green stuff you have there on the ground? I don't have any of that here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

MfMan wrote: »
    With the coming week looking to be both hard and dry, is it dodgy shaking any yet until softer, moister weather is forecast?

Put it out as soon as possible. Dew at night helps absorption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

MfMan wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Good loser wrote: »

I did, last Saturday, ahead of rain on Sunday and Monday. Ahead of the curve for once. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

DBK1 wrote: »
    There was a Claas Cougar mowing near here today. Serious machine to cover ground. Can’t be too many of them in Ireland?

Only 1 in Ireland and 1 in England. She arrived just after Christmas. Was playing with her already.

Wait till ya see what will be following that cougar this year eating up the grass

Reggie. wrote: »
    Only 1 in Ireland and 1 in England. She arrived just after Christmas. Was playing with her already.

Wait till ya see what will be following that cougar this year eating up the grass
    The owners surname beginning with M is it?

• Advertisement

The owners surname beginning with M is it?

Thats the one. Streamstown direction

If the ground he was mowing yesterday is being rented by the same man that has it rented the last number of years tell him to be very careful. There’s a reason that man is now getting contractors from near 30 miles away. Everyone closer to him has already been caught at some stage, including myself 7 years ago. I’d be advising him to look for his money now before there’s a blade of grass picked.

If the ground he was mowing yesterday is being rented by the same man that has it rented the last number of years tell him to be very careful. There’s a reason that man is now getting contractors from near 30 miles away. Everyone closer to him has already been caught at some stage, including myself 7 years ago. I’d be advising him to look for his money now before there’s a blade of grass picked.
    Think he is only mowing thats all. Its being baled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

bigger Jag or Big M?

bigger Jag or Big M?

;)

One thing i never had customers that did not pay i had one that went into the property market during the tigger years the bank nearly pulled everything from him so he came to me a good customer worked out a deal ,it took a couple of years to clear and he is back good again. You always know a chancer he could see you working in a field come into you saying you have a great set up ask them then where there from take there number say you get back to them.

• Advertisement

;)
    A fine harvestor Seemed to be giving him a little bit of trouble this eve but I’d say it’s his first day out with it?

Fred Daly wrote: »
    One thing i never had customers that did not pay i had one that went into the property market during the tigger years the bank nearly pulled everything from him so he came to me a good customer worked out a deal ,it took a couple of years to clear and he is back good again. You always know a chancer he could see you working in a field come into you saying you have a great set up ask them then where there from take there number say you get back to them.
    In all the years I’m at it there’s only 2 I got caught with. About €3,500 between them. That man I’m warning Reggie about got me for about €1,500. But from talking to other contractors around I seem to have got away light compared to a lot of them.

He done work on his yard last winter and the ready-mix came from over 25 miles away despite there being 4 ready-mix suppliers within an 8 or 10 mile radius of him. They’ve all been caught with him at some stage over the years. He really is the lowest of the low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭endainoz

In all the years I’m at it there’s only 2 I got caught with. About €3,500 between them. That man I’m warning Reggie about got me for about €1,500. But from talking to other contractors around I seem to have got away light compared to a lot of them.

He done work on his yard last winter and the ready-mix came from over 25 miles away despite there being 4 ready-mix suppliers within an 8 or 10 mile radius of him. They’ve all been caught with him at some stage over the years. He really is the lowest of the low.

I can never understand how people get by like this, eventually you run out of bridges to burn.

endainoz wrote: »
    I can never understand how people get by like this, eventually you run out of bridges to burn.

Agree 100%. However there's a lad like that locally here. He did all of that for 25 years before getting stumped. Now all suppliers demand payment in advance.
    I pay on the day 95% of the time. Turns out he is actually only in the same boat as me after 25 years and actually not any worse off. Go figure.

That is a lot of money touch wood never got caught like that some lads might be slow but you get it within the year. There is lads like him in every parish in Ireland if you can see them coming you are okay but if not they could get you in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

endainoz wrote: »

Apparently that’s what happened with the guy with the dead calves earlier in the week

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Grueller wrote: »
    Agree 100%. However there's a lad like that locally here. He did all of that for 25 years before getting stumped. Now all suppliers demand payment in advance.
    I pay on the day 95% of the time. Turns out he is actually only in the same boat as me after 25 years and actually not any worse off. Go figure.

The key difference is that you can deal with anyone, go anywhere and answer the phone without checking who the caller is. Granted the man in question might not care about meeting his creditor's but you obviously do. I've seen plenty of lad's who couldn't answer the phone to any number they didn't know, sent the wife or children to the door to tell the caller he wasn't home ect. It's one thing to owe it to the bank or similar but it's a desperate mean act to owe it to a private individual or business. None of the banks employees go without over bad debt but it's different in the private sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Sami23

With growth so poor yields will be very poor in 1st cuts this year :(
    No sign of any temperature increases in forecast either unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is the problem the soil temp.? We'd a good cover at the start of April and was looking forward to getting it cut 3rd week in May. Growth has been shocking the last month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭blackdog1

With growth so poor yields will be very poor in 1st cuts this year :(
    No sign of any temperature increases in forecast either unfortunately

Don't think so. Went looking at mine recently and anything that hadn't been grazed is flying it and on target nearly, anything that was grazed.... different story but im out of bales so im planning on making high quality bales on those paddocks and feeding them through the summer to keep fat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭dmakc

If I put out 100 units of N at April 1st, will 2N/day be used up regardless of weather, or will it depend on temps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

dmakc wrote: »
    If I put out 100 units of N at April 1st, will 2N/day be used up regardless of weather, or will it depend on temps?

Depends more on temp/growth

dmakc wrote: »

I had a similar thoughts - I did about the same as you. Looking at the silage today, unless it makes a major burst in the next 3 weeks I will push my date on a bit. Will also get it tested in the coop. It’s free down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

Are lads going to push there cutting date back a bit this year considering growth is so poor or just take a smaller cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Sugarbowl wrote:
    I had a similar thoughts - I did about the same as you. Looking at the silage today, unless it makes a major burst in the next 3 weeks I will push my date on a bit. Will also get it tested in the coop. It’s free down here.

What involved in getting in tested & how long for results?

• Advertisement
Advertisement