Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage 2021

• 11-04-2021 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Here we go again for a new season :)

Has anyone their fertiliser out on silage ground yet.
    I'm holding off here until temperatures pick up a bit as it's expensive stuff this year to be wasting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Sami23 wrote: »

I'm holding off here until temperatures pick up a bit as it's expensive stuff this year to be wasting.

Think most have it out, defo a lot went out in the last few days above all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

All out this last ten days or so. Hope to be cutting about the 15th of May

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Out 3 weeks
    Plan was to cut around may 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Same as here. Aiming for next weekend for the fertilizer as the temperature seems to be moving back to normal. That will be for end of May cut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Picked up from stores yesterday.

Heavy night frosts here still.

Probably shake it out late this week looking at forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Sami23

Out 3 weeks
    Plan was to cut around may 15th

But damn all growth for last few weeks so will that push back ur cutting date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'll be cutting a decent few acres mid may regardless of growth, I need the quality silage for milkers. Haven't gone out with a wild amount of fert on the silage ground, likes of 70units, I'll see how the weather goes and when rain and temperatures are on their way I'll then aim for my 90units drycow silage, which I don't really care as much about the cutting date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Will shake silage ground one evening this week when temps pick up, got slurry last Feb so won't be going heavy, aim to cut then late May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Out since 15 March here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

All out on main crop for dry cows mainly aiming for last week /10 days may ,first bit for Milker’s early may ,maize ground all ready to go in next week/10 days as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I put out about 55N/acre about 2 weeks ago. Have a good cover already as not grazed. Will top up this week now. Going for 20th May cut or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Going to graze off the ground first. After the mild winter its full of soft grass and dead material. So I won't be closing up till the end of April. Then it'll be a coat of Slurry followed by 1 bag of SulCan 3 weeks later. Aim to cut 1st week in July

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Finished grazing it a few days ago. Got slurry plus urea pre grazing. Some of it got 30 units this week will go again with another 30 to 40 once it is definitely stopped. Will give one field another coat of slurry as well. Aim to cut mid to end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭MfMan

With the coming week looking to be both hard and dry, is it dodgy shaking any yet until softer, moister weather is forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

85 Units of N went out last week, after a quick graze with the smaller cattle.
    Target Silage Cut circa May 31 st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It wasn't grazed so decent cover on it, trying to get 3 cuts and a grazing off this ground so can't really leave it go any later or it'll push the rest of the cuts out
    Trying to go all quality here

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

Have 6 acres fairly bare that had sheep on it for the winter. Have a 3 bay tank of slurry to put out, should i put out the slurry first and then follow with the fert. How many bags to the acre of fert would i need, dont want a huge group would like quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

k mac wrote: »
    Have 6 acres fairly bare that had sheep on it for the winter. Have a 3 bay tank of slurry to put out, should i put out the slurry first and then follow with the fert. How many bags to the acre of fert would i need, dont want a huge group would like quality.
    Perfect conditions for slurry, plus you have bare ground. Slurry first then follow with 1 to 1.5 bags of CAN in 3 weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone get prices for silage wrap yet? Has it increased as predicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭endainoz

Going to graze off the ground first. After the mild winter its full of soft grass and dead material. So I won't be closing up till the end of April. Then it'll be a coat of Slurry followed by 1 bag of SulCan 3 weeks later. Aim to cut 1st week in July

I'll be doing something similar to yourself boots, without the sulcan of course! I have another week or so in the meadow. Bull and two dry cows are in the WBC plot, so the regular grazing ground is getting a break to catch up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Silage 2021 is a go here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭DBK1

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Silage 2021 is a go here
    There was a Claas Cougar mowing near here today. Serious machine to cover ground. Can’t be too many of them in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Silage 2021 is a go here

Not enough cows!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Silage 2021 is a go here

What's that green stuff you have there on the ground? I don't have any of that here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

MfMan wrote: »
    With the coming week looking to be both hard and dry, is it dodgy shaking any yet until softer, moister weather is forecast?

Put it out as soon as possible. Dew at night helps absorption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

MfMan wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭MfMan

Good loser wrote: »

I did, last Saturday, ahead of rain on Sunday and Monday. Ahead of the curve for once. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

DBK1 wrote: »
    There was a Claas Cougar mowing near here today. Serious machine to cover ground. Can’t be too many of them in Ireland?

Only 1 in Ireland and 1 in England. She arrived just after Christmas. Was playing with her already.

Wait till ya see what will be following that cougar this year eating up the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭DBK1

Reggie. wrote: »
    Only 1 in Ireland and 1 in England. She arrived just after Christmas. Was playing with her already.

Wait till ya see what will be following that cougar this year eating up the grass
    The owners surname beginning with M is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

DBK1 wrote: »
    The owners surname beginning with M is it?

Thats the one. Streamstown direction

Advertisement