Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Nearly finished Lolita by Nabokov - amazing book despite the subject matter. Incredible use of language by a non-native English speaker - its incredible that at times despite being such an odious character that I actually felt sorry for Humbert.

Only a few pages to go and will then tackle Love in the time of Cholera - interested to see how this goes as I detested 100 year of solitude..

I too did not like 100 years but loved Love in the Time of Cholera - hope you like it. Agree with you also on Lolita, an amazing book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Just finished The Kings Buccaneer - Raymond E Feist. Half way through Shadow of a Dark Queen. Im Addicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Still reading Andrew Marr's AHistory of modern Britain. Very interesting read that is a very good starting point for recent British history. Thankfully it isn't completely absorbed by the Troubles. I'd recommend it as a good read for understanding howcurrentBritish Society came to where it is now and aglow source for reference material for further reading on topics you are interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'm currently flying thru East of Eden for the first time since I was about 18(long time ago), absolute genius, 350 pages in 3 nights which is leaving me about 5 hours to sleep, can't wait to get it over with to be honest:pac:,
    Steinbeck is amazing, I'm sure Tom Joad(the poster) will agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I'm currently flying thru East of Eden for the first time since I was about 18(long time ago), absolute genius, 350 pages in 3 nights which is leaving me about 5 hours to sleep, can't wait to get it over with to be honest:pac:,
    Steinbeck is amazing, I'm sure Tom Joad(the poster) will agree.

Amazing and absolute genius - couldn't agree more :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I must confess I always thought he was grossly over rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading the second book of Stephen King's Dark Tower series, The Drawing of the Three. About half way in and really like it, a lot better than the first book I think, and whereas I was still a bit iffy after the first book, I know now that I'm totally hooked!

Also reading Female Chauvinist Pigs by Ariel Levy, which explores raunch culture among women. Some good points in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

currently reading "Hitler's Hangman: The Life of Heydrich", only a few pages in, really liking it already though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

marienbad wrote: »
    I must confess I always thought he was grossly over rated.

I personally loved East of Eden. I would consider myself a Steinbeck fan. However I think he was a bit hit and miss. Books like Of Mice and Men, East of Eden, Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday are, in my opinion, superb.
    However, the likes of To A God Unknown and In Dubious Battle are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's Angels Flight over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Finished Waiting for Sunrise by William Boyd ... not his best effort IMO

Now I'm starting Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Been meaning to read it for ages and absolutely fascinating it is. Influences the way you see and interpret the word. Recommended!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Flashman and the Tiger by George MacDonald Fraser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Read that last year. Had high hopes post-Underworld, but this really disappointed me. I spoke to a friend who was also underwhelmed by this, so would be interested in seeing how this goes for you.

Finished it. Found it fairly compelling but, yes, it disappointed me a little bit. There were a couple of chapters that were rather drawn out and had better potential. I have ordered Underworld so will see how that goes

Going to start into C by Tom McCarthy. Last attempt was unsuccesful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Currently reading To Hell or Barbados by Sean O'Callaghan.

I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Have just started Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The Fun Stuff and other essays by James Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

Just finished City of Thieves by David Benioff - the story of two boys who are given the impossible task of finding a dozen eggs for a colonel daughter's wedding in 5 days during the siege of Leningrad in WWII. I loved it, a great tale of friendship and adventure.

I am now in the middle of A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute. An enjoyable enough read so far, but the writing is quite dated and there's a lot of casual racism in it, mainly against the Aborigines (it was written in 1949).

Last night I finished off Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (nice read) & now I'm going to start on a quick re-read of The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers .... read it many years ago & remember it fondly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Callan57 wrote: »
    Last night I finished off Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (nice read) & now I'm going to start on a quick re-read of The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers .... read it many years ago & remember it fondly

The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, just from the title I might pick it up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Started reading Derby Day by DJ Taylor.

Booker nominated a few years ago. Seems interesting, based in 1800's London, about a horse running in the Epson Derby and how the race will have differing effects on various characters.

The start at least is very interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The Dresden files small favour.

Still reading Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway.

Every chapter seems to jump around in time, and between characters, and they're really long chapters too, so you kind of forget that your reading a memory rather than the actual story and get quite into the timeline of that particular chapter and then it just jumps back to the present or to a different character. Kind of annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finished 1984 - absolutely mind blowing!

Im not sure what Im in the mood to read next.

The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

SarahBM wrote: »

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and mind-blowing is right! Keep the aspidistra flying is a good rom-pov (romantic povertry, coined!) by Orwell. He is not known for warmth in his books but this book made me want to strip my life down to a packet of cigarettes, a plant and a damp bedsit. Must read it again actually.

Shaun Ryder's biography Twisting my Melon. Good fun.

Got a lend of Broken Harbour by Tana French today - looking forward to it.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Got a lend of Broken Harbour by Tana French today - looking forward to it.

Found it to be a bit of a let down. Although I didn't like Faithfull Place much either. She peaked with The Likeness, in my opinion ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Started on Wild Swans by Jung Chang.

Only read the first chapter but I have a feeling I'm going to really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

SarahBM wrote: »

It really is a wonderful book. You should give Orwell's short stories a go if you haven't read those yet. There's a few books on Amazon which have his combined works. Well worth reading.

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's Angels Flight over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 M1dlander

About halfway through 'Staring at Lakes', really good. Very witty and is a page turner even though it's about depression!

What's the name of the Stephen King book due out nowish-it's the prequel to The Shinning, or is it out and if so has anyone read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and mind-blowing is right! Keep the aspidistra flying is a good rom-pov (romantic povertry, coined!) by Orwell. He is not known for warmth in his books but this book made me want to strip my life down to a packet of cigarettes, a plant and a damp bedsit. Must read it again actually.

Thanks a million for the suggestion. Adding it to the list (the ever growing list)

I must give the short stories a go too. I enjoyed 1984 so much more than I was anticipating, and its the first book I have read in a while that I really didnt have to force my self to read it.

Have started the Prodigal Daughter by Jeffrey Archer. I loved Kane and Abel so I cant wait to get stuck into this :D

Finished Broken Harbour by Tana French ... liked it a lot must follow up the rest of her books.

Now I'm starting The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford :)

• Advertisement

Orwell, The Road to Wigan Pier. It's amazing how little the lot of the unemployed (and those who vilify them) has changed. As usual, beautifully write, beautifully compassionate, filled with piercing insights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

Currently reading A Higher Form of Killing: The Secret History of Chemical and Biological Warfare

Enjoying it so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Game of Thrones, book 2 - A Clash of Kings. Better than the series, but the series is still brilliant!!

In a few minutes I will be starting Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, never read any of her stuff before but it's an interesting premise.

Summertime Death by Mons Kallentoft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Gone Girl. MAJOR letdown. Bad ending, infuriating. Felt like doing a book fling like Bradley Cooper did in Silver Linings Playbook!!

Reading the auld reliable HP Lovecraft now to cleanse the brain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Have a book of short stories by Harlan Ellison (Alone against Tomorrow), used to play the game I Have No Mouth and Must Scream so reading the short story. Have to look very deeply to find any hope.

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's A Darkness More Then Night last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Lolita. It really is an amazing book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Started on Wild Swans by Jung Chang.

Only read the first chapter but I have a feeling I'm going to really like it.

I read it recently myself. I learned a lot about how things were in China under Mao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Nocturnes. A collection of short stories by John Connelly. There are some brilliantly freaky stories in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Finished a re read of another very enjoyable novel by Michael Connelly in his Harry Bosch series City of Bones.

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished a re read of another very enjoyable novel by Michael Connelly in his Harry Bosch series City of Bones.

Apologies if this sounds smart arsey but I've noticed that you seem to be re-reading all these crime thrillers, I could never read one twice particularly when there are so many other books out there to be read, do you really love them that much? How can you enjoy them when you know how they end?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Apologies if this sounds smart arsey but I've noticed that you seem to be re-reading all these crime thrillers, I could never read one twice particularly when there are so many other books out there to be read, do you really love them that much? How can you enjoy them when you know how they end?

Germ of a discussion here, do you reread any books ? I too have noticed eire4 is on a Harry Bosch binge and I must confess I too have reread quite a few of Michael Connelly's books, particularly the early ones .

• Advertisement
Advertisement