Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evelyn Cusacks forecast tonight

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

She may have the degrees, she may studied meteorology, she may be passionate about weather but she's a prize moan and I for one will turn her off on anything she ever appears on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Red Nissan wrote: »
    she's a prize moan and I for one will turn her off on anything she ever appears on again.

Mod Note
    Unfortunately this thread has descended into an Evelyn Cusack bashing exercise
    Reopening it but keep the discussion civil, no personal attacks and comments on her forecast content only please
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

ah lads who locked the evelyn thread. my leg started hurting me about 10 mins before the forecast!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Evelyn is off again.

"Animals can't predict the weather".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Hooter23

That ones at it again after the 9 news AnIMALs ANd PLANTS cant predict the weather nor the moon or sumthn she said :pac: ok we get it for the millionth time ffs:)

• Advertisement

hurrah, we're back in business :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

She must read Boards because she corrected the spelling of Lorenz this time as well :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Had a go at Ken Ring too (moon cycles "and earthquakes for that matter")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I reckon its a bit of tounge in cheek at this point ..It's likley RTE get deluged asking regularly about these issues.

The alternative berry reading / moon phase / flying birds nightly forecast could be a real ratings puller!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

gozunda wrote: »
    I reckon its a bit of tounge in cheek at this point ..It's likley RTE get deluged asking regularly about these issues.

The alternative berry reading / moon phase / flying birds nightly forecast could be a real ratings puller!

It's not coming across as tongue in cheek. As Evelyn and ME seem to read boards a word of advice. Stick to the forecasts and leave the lectures to one side. Do a proper show if you want to get your point across. You're on the verge of coming across as a bully. You keep repeating the same facts over and over again and they seem to be aimed at one individual who doesn't have the same platform as you.

No one is going to say anything if you get a forecast wrong and he gets it right. It can be explained away by logic. However, if you keep going on about it, the very people you're trying to convince will go the other way. This is nothing to do with science, it's to do with PR, Human behaviour and that thing that a lot of Irish people do, backing the small guy against the big organisation (even if he's wrong!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's not coming across as tongue in cheek. As Evelyn and ME seem to read boards a word of advice. Stick to the forecasts and leave the lectures to one side. Do a proper show if you want to get your point across. You're on the verge of coming across as a bully. You keep repeating the same facts over and over again and they seem to be aimed at one individual who doesn't have the same platform as you

No one is going to say anything if you get a forecast wrong and he gets it right. It can be explained away by logic. However, if you keep going on about it, the very people you're trying to convince will go the other way. This is nothing to do with science, it's to do with PR, Human behaviour and that thing that a lot of Irish people do, backing the small guy against the big organisation (even if he's wrong!)

Whoa there I am not Evelyn! and last nights quotient did come across as Humouros - and I reckon the 'lecture' is in response to various communications from proponents of the berry / flying bird theories - I believe this was implied during the forecast last night. Anyway does it really matter. Take it for what it is - the scientific view, many people do not understand that the current model do no favour long range forecasting a la postman etc. so yes it probably does need explaining and not to 'just one person' every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

We live in Ireland. People always talk about the weather. I'm sure most know all that animal and plant talk is nonsense but no harm in talking about it. At this stage I'd start talking in that way just to piss that Evelyn woman off. She comes across as an old whinger on the TV.

Jimmy444 wrote: »
    She must read Boards because she corrected the spelling of Lorenz this time as well :P

Either that or a Met Official actively posts on Boards, which is cool too, as she verbatimly quoted boards on a few links I followed to see, as provided in this discussion, so some of her speech was already scripted and released here before she broadcast it, or she ~ or her script writers read it an put it in the following evening's weather dogma section.

We are seemingly inseparably linked. ;)

Ha ha! I suspect the thread was unlocked because their material was drying up for up coming forecast banters bits. :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Evelyn Cusack is Su Campu

Neeson wrote: »
    We live in Ireland. People always talk about the weather. I'm sure most know all that animal and plant talk is nonsense .

It's not nonsense, it's not scientific, dependable, reliable or repeatable, but it can indicate the shortness of a Spring as a well studied example. We live in a world where we [humans] are climate immune, major weather events aside, even those, some claim can be controlled somewhat.

Not so our wildlife, flora and fauna, they need to have a mechanism to react to any given season, their choice will dictate their success. As a species, any particular species of plant or animal and indeed humans have died out because they did not react to the changing weather and climate.

It's not just instinct, though there is plenty of evidence that instinct alone can drive decisions like migrating in a rain storm and being washed away and that happens, but overall the flora and fauna have survived because they understand a mechanism that is individual if not even unique annually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Gerry Murphy gave a little lecture last week too on the meaning of high and low pressure with a graphic to illustrate - never saw him do anything like that before. It's usually " Hello there and a very good evening to you " and off we go :pac:. The thing is effective presenting of any complex matter to the general masses should be characterised by simplicity. Most people just want to know whether it's going to be wet/dry, hot/ cold etc and couldn't give a fook about isobars or anticyclones etc. Bring back Gerry the winker and The Eagle. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Dont laugh at this one , about a week before Ireland got hit by hurricane Debbie a large number of sea birds came in to Salthill, I was down looking at them with my Dad as we had never seen birds like them before, there was a fisherman there also who told us the birds were called "Mother Careys Chickens" also known as Storm Petrals, he said they would only come into shore if there was a bad storm on the way, that time we had very little knowledge of the weather and a few days later Debbie struck and caused havoc, so maybe there is a lot in what the anilmals and birds know about the weather.
    Stormy petrels. Mother Carey is Mater Cara. The French call these birds oiseaux de Notre Dame or aves Sanct&aeigh; Mariae. Chickens are the young of any fowl, or any small bird.
    “They are called the `sailor's' friends, come to warn them of an approaching storm; and it is most unlucky to kill them. The legend is that each bird contains the soul of a dead seaman.”

Read more: Mother Carey's Chickens | Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/brewers/mother-careys-chickens.html#ixzz2mJnAmK6B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Exactly Red Nissan - its not meteorology but it is evolutionary genetics!

Its only logical to a biologist that natural selection over millenia would result in flora and fauna that are "better prepared" to cope with upcoming weather that can some-how be "anticipated".

So while animals and plants may be no use to a meteorologist I think Evelyn is straying a bit too much from her own area of expertise!

It's not nonsense, it's not scientific, dependable, reliable or repeatable, but it can indicate the shortness of a Spring as a well studied example. We live in a world where we [humans] are climate immune, major weather events aside, even those, some claim can be controlled somewhat.

Not so our wildlife, flora and fauna, they need to have a mechanism to react to any given season, their choice will dictate their success. As a species, any particular species of plant or animal and indeed humans have died out because they did not react to the changing weather and climate.

It's not just instinct, though there is plenty of evidence that instinct alone can drive decisions like migrating in a rain storm and being washed away and that happens, but overall the flora and fauna have survived because they understand a mechanism that is individual if not even unique annually.

gozunda wrote: »
    Whoa there I am not Evelyn! and last nights quotient did come across as Humouros - and I reckon the 'lecture' is in response to various communications from proponents of the berry / flying bird theories - I believe this was implied during the forecast last night. Anyway does it really matter. Take it for what it is - the scientific view, many people do not understand that the current model do no favour long range forecasting a la postman etc. so yes it probably does need explaining and not to 'just one person' every now and then.

I never said you were Evelyn! Yes the lecture was in response to the various stories going around about berries and such like, but those stories go around every year. It fills newspaper space. Explaining them once or twice might be acceptable if done correctly but she's on about it all the time at this stage.

It comes across like an old priest in the catholic church saying we will all go to hell if we even listen to what someone else is saying. There is only one true way!!!

I want to know about the weather, the 30 to 40 seconds she uses for this could be used for a look at weather in Britain or North America where lots of us have dealings.

The way that these facts have been presented have had a nasty tinge to them. On top of that it's fairly unprofessional presentation wise. That's why I keep going on about doing a proper programme that's properly scripted.

I have my suspicions who Evelyn is by a way a certain board member uses phrases and words. However, it's not my right to point out who that is. Guess what? I could be wrong:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Dont laugh at this one , about a week before Ireland got hit by hurricane Debbie a large number of sea birds came in to Salthill, I was down looking at them with my Dad as we had never seen birds like them before, there was a fisherman there also who told us the birds were called "Mother Careys Chickens" also known as Storm Petrals, he said they would only come into shore if there was a bad storm on the way, that time we had very little knowledge of the weather and a few days later Debbie struck and caused havoc, so maybe there is a lot in what the anilmals and birds know about the weather.

That's interesting because I remember before we had a really bad storm from the north that there were penguins in the quay close to where I live in Donegal a few days before the storm hit. SO to call predicting nature via nature is disingenuous.

• Advertisement

DellyBelly wrote: »
    That's interesting because I remember before we had a really bad storm from the north that there were penguins in the quay close to where I live in Donegal a few days before the storm hit. SO to call predicting nature via nature is disingenuous.

That's truly amazing, it must have been a world catastrophe to force Penguins so far north, glad I slept through that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Pics or it didn't happen.

Actually, I'd really like to see pictures of wild penguins in Donegal. For a start, that cousin of mine who said when I was eight that I couldn't have a pet penguin cos they only lived in Antarctica is going to be getting an eye full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They were more than likely the same bird that came into Galway, they are black and white, they spend their life at sea but will come to land to breed only, the ones I saw were quite tame and you could walk among them there were hundreds of them and they were an attraction at the beach while they were there. I always remember the man that told us what they were said there has to be a big storm coming for those birds to come ashore, at that time there was no mention of any hurricane as they were at least a week in before it hit.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=STORM+PETRAL+PHOTO&id=E07E879B96FE0FFF2596C8166287FFDB89A7FEF1&FORM=IQFRBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

I have to say I’m surprised at the level of support for this alternative method. As someone who lives and works in Donegal I’m constantly surprised at the amount of people who discuss and to some extends rely on the “postman”. When I express my own view that it is nonsense I usually get the response “ah there must be something to it”
    My own view is that unless it is proven with proper scientific research it is basically old wives tales. I’ve seen nothing, no reliable evidence to suggest animals/ plants etc are not just reacting to their environment at that moment in time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Penguins! :eek: Must have been some storm...from the south? :p

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Penguins! :eek: Must have been some storm...from the south? :p

Yes indeed, however, it also clearly demonstrates a lack of understanding and yet a profound judgment call has been presented based clearly on these misunderstandings.

I'm sure this poster is not alone, and IMO, some of Evelyn's comments have been taken as gospel from a pulpit by a very susceptible audience.

I'm sure though that the Penguins had escaped from a local "Sea World" attraction and we were in error in our judgment call. :D

Enough with the penguins, polar bears etc. Back on topic please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Here's Cusack's attack from yesterday in case anyone missed it:

I am NOT going to watch that, thanks for posting, but Evelyn is persona non grata for me. She might as well be Evelyn Ring

• Advertisement

Lumi wrote: »
    Enough with the penguins, polar bears etc. Back on topic please

I think it is about this, and I think Lumi moderation is turning sour. How does one report inappropriate moderation.

Of course if we take the thread title, then, yes, but this has evolved beyond Evelyn's last night ~ and maybe you were right to have closed it when you did.

It was hot then, it's certainly very hot now.

Evelyn discussed animals on a weather forecast and you, Lumi, ban its discussion? It IS on topic, TBH.

I think it is about this, and I think Lumi moderation is turning sour. How does one report inappropriate moderation.

Of course if we take the thread title, then, yes, but this has evolved beyond Evelyn's last night ~ and maybe you were right to have closed it when you did.

Evelyn discussed animals on a weather forecast and you, Lumi, ban its discussion? It IS on topic, TBH.

Red Nissan will be taking a short break from the forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

If you want to complain about a moderator, do it in Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Here's Cusack's attack from yesterday in case anyone missed it:

Cheers for posting. Not sure why people are calling it an "attack" though, and getting so worked up about it. Describing it as being like "an old priest in the catholic church saying we will all go to hell if we even listen to what someone else is saying" or other such things seems utterly ridiculous to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In all of the research I have done, I must admit that I have never looked at natural signs related to animals and plants. However, I am not as opposed to the concept as some of the mainstream experts seem to be. This is perhaps because I really don't know how you would study this without understanding animal behaviour and vegetation cycles. Very few people who study meteorology know very much about these fields.

Now just from basic logic, plants would be less likely than animals to exhibit signs of future weather trends. As talkabout said, vegetation responds to weather that has already happened. So the only way that vegetation could be predictive would be if certain weather patterns were correlated with other patterns. This would lead to some of the folklore signs being reliable, but without any conscious foreknowledge within the plants themselves.

As to animal behaviour being predictive, this seems a bit more plausible to me. Once again, I don't imagine that the animals are consciously responding to future knowledge, but rather are being guided by instincts that are related to atmospheric patterns or magnetic fields. If these have predictive values of any kind, then the wildlife will tend to behave in ways that appear predictive more by association than by raw logic. Example, if birds or fish come into shore before big storms, is that a logical thing for them to do, or is it forced upon them by distortions of the instinctive environment by which they are continually controlled? I would guess it is the latter.

My opinion is that we are starting to uncover various ways to predict longer range weather trends and the truth is somewhere between absolutes that you sometimes hear, such as "there is no way to do that" and "I have an infallible method." Just like the animals, it's interesting that humans in Ireland can predict future weather trends with some accuracy, especially in groups -- this is ironically shown by our forecast contests where the consensus is often more skilful than most if not all individuals. Now if the consensus was also random this would show a pointlessness to the exercise, but if the consensus is skewed towards the actual anomalies of the weather (on a monthly scale, because that's how our contests run) there would be something akin to recognition of future trends, although perhaps what's really happening is pattern recognition, how a fairly reliable starting point to a month already in view might evolve later.

These questions are all probably more complicated than you can "finish off" in a couple of minutes on TV, that's all I'm going to say but a half hour discussion might shed some light on it. I guess I'm a bit far from the studio to be of much help in that.

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Cheers for posting. Not sure why people are calling it an "attack" though, and getting so worked up about it. Describing it as being like "an old priest in the catholic church saying we will all go to hell if we even listen to what someone else is saying" or other such things seems utterly ridiculous to me!

Have you been watching? I'd agree with you if it was just once, but this is a repeating theme with Evelyn Cusack. Say it often enough and they'll all start to believe.

Why can't she just give the weather forecast? why even worry about what others are up to? It's a free country. What does it matter what a postman says up in Donegal? He's a postman!

In previous Lectures Evelyn has said that Animal and berries can't predict the weather, that's it's all a fairy tale. You should never put all your trust in those that are certain that something isn't possible. That goes for Scientists, Priests, Politicians, Militant Atheists and now it appears some ME forecasters. None of us (that would include myself) have all the answers.

The thing here is that I would probably agree with what Evelyn says generally, just not in the way she says it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Have you been watching? I'd agree with you if it was just once, but this is a repeating theme with Evelyn Cusack. Say it often enough and they'll all start to believe.

Why can't she just give the weather forecast? why even worry about what others are up to? It's a free country. What does it matter what a postman says up in Donegal? He's a postman!

In previous Lectures Evelyn has said that Animal and berries can't predict the weather, that's it's all a fairy tale. You should never put all your trust in those that are certain that something isn't possible. That goes for Scientists, Priests, Politicians, Militant Atheists and now it appears some ME forecasters. None of us (that would include myself) have all the answers.

The thing here is that I would probably agree with what Evelyn says generally, just not in the way she says it.

Just to be clear, I used your quote as an example, the post wasn't directed at you personally.

I think it's a good thing that professional meteorologists are trying to help the population become more scientifically literate. People can easily get taken by guess work and appeals to common sense when dressed up as science, and some even pay for it.
    I'm sure if some genuine peer reviewed research came out proving a link between berries/animals and our weather, that the professional meteorologists would take it into account, but until then, it's in the same company as palmistry, astrology, psychic readings and the like.
    Referring back to a Carl Sagan quote Evelyn used a few weeks ago
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Not everybody watches each forecast, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for her to mention it a few times, especially coming up to winter when so many people issue (and charge for) long range forecasts.

Just to be clear, I used your quote as an example, the post wasn't directed at you personally.
    That's okay, I knew that but decent of you to say.

I think it's a good thing that professional meteorologists are trying to help the population become more scientifically literate. People can easily get taken by guess work and appeals to common sense when dressed up as science, and some even pay for it.
    I'm sure if some genuine peer reviewed research came out proving a link between berries/animals and our weather, that the professional meteorologists would take it into account, but until then, it's in the same company as palmistry, astrology, psychic readings and the like.
    Referring back to a Carl Sagan quote Evelyn used a few weeks ago
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

I'm not disagreeing with this, It's how it's presented is the issue. There appears to be a lack of understanding of the medium of Television. I'm not blaming ME or the forecasters here. It's more an RTE issue. You can't get across to the general public a message such as the one Evelyn is trying to get across using those kind of methods. Using quotes from people that the general population hasn't heard of doesn't work.

Anyone who's done basic broadcasting training knows you Keep it Simple and Stupid. Do a proper show if they want to get the message across.

They're also not setting the agenda, they're chasing it. These lectures for a better term always seem to pop up very soon after the postman or suchlike has made some sort of media appearance. They have the higher ground, they have the platform and they're not using it.

Not everybody watches each forecast, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for her to mention it a few times, especially coming up to winter when so many people issue (and charge for) long range forecasts.

Lots of people watch every forecast, especially the one's after 6 and after 9, which are still regarded as the main two of the day. I've heard comments from some that aren't into their weather like those on boards and they've noticed her comments, and she hasn't gone up in their estimation. They're the same one's that read tabloids and would never pay for a forecast and they think that she's being a bit of a bully towards certain amateurs "sure are doing no harm"

However, it was only mentioned once, and hasn't been mentioned since. Just to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/

Find Callan's Kicks on Radio one and go to 11.00.
    Recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/

Find Callan's Kicks on Radio one and go to 11.00.
    Recommended.

Heard it earlier while driving, it was a good laugh.

The dog started barking at the christmas tree just now. i reckon it's going to be mild till the 28th of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭weisses

aboyro wrote: »
    The dog started barking at the christmas tree just now. i reckon it's going to be mild till the 28th of the month.

Using smoked bacon for decoration is never a good idea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement