Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda accuses you of being on the phone driving when you werent and you get a fine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

It's obvious that the guard's right.
    Sure isn't he a guard.
    They can do what they like, they're guard's.

I heard a funny skit of a guard getting a bill from e-flow it was hilarious....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Going by sou d of your friend he seems like the type who's like it put on social media and shared.
    He'd probably get a radio station calling him to talk and may even get a little bit in a tabloid newspaper. They'd call around and take a picture of him in his car with his dash cam and another one with thr family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

If your friend is ready and willing to pursue with this harassment claim.
    Then I would suggest that he has 5 mim's of video audio before the initial stop and 5 min's of video audio after being told to go on his way.. this would probably be a requirement if any action was even considered against the Garda in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

I would think very carefully on how to proceed. Look what they do to their own when they rock the boat? The organisation is rotten to the core. Unfortunately for the guy he's clearly not the Guards buddy, brother, cousin or the editor of the Irish Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just get your friend to go talk to the ranking officer in the station, with his evidence. Deal with it in a grown up way. If the Garda made a mistake, the evidence will show it.

I wouldn’t recommend going in all guns blazing, that will probably only get everyone’s back up. Just calmly say that you believe a mistake was made and can the fine be rescinded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Guard was probably a dick, OPs friend has a problem with guards anyway, so he was probably a dick. Scoredraw. Move on.

or maybe his mate is showing a reasonable response in order to raise awareness about it? He was berated and treated like a criminal with only the the Gardas word as bible. 10-30years they may have been able to get away with this carry on, thankfully the dash cams were rolling and it was all recorded.

I dont understand peoples passive mentality when it comes to Garda like this and the reactions from people who have had to deal with situations like this, they may have 'quotas' to meet but it doesn't mean they can make things up and give you hard time for it cause they can.

Imo, I wouldnt be arsed trying to make a public display, nor going to the local station because nothing will come of it. Once the charge/pints were cleared thats it, I cross it out and put it down to an unfortunate & massive waste of time. It will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Yep the back of the vehicle. Not the front including driver's lap.

The OP has now said you can ckearly see his "head and his shoulders"

Phone only has to be in his hand, which it seems is not visible.

I call bull****

You Muppet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=interior-facing+dash+cam&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwi4nYi2-_jfAhWwWRUIHZGSC0EQ2-cCegQIABAB&oq=interdash+cam&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.1.0.0i7i30l2.64424.70997..72725...0.0..0.129.1551.13j4......0....1.........0i13j0i67j0.-9-kI_VsqUE&ei=oKFCXLjNObCz1fAPkaWuiAQ&bih=512&biw=360&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=isvn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Personally I hope the OP's friend goes nuts on this guard. Shame the pr**k . Cannot wait to see the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I was stopped on the N4 for the same thing last year. Garda was adamant I was on the phone. I showed him my call log and the phone was lying on the passenger side charging.
    He was a bit miffed when I pointed out the parrot hands free kit I have fitted.
    He reached in and grabbed me by the wrist and says "I'm wrong...sorry...it was a lad in another white van I saw"

My van is silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Look what they did to Maurice McCabe, OP pay the fine you don't want to be taking these lads on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I can’t believe how servile and feeble posters on this thread are.

Despite numerous corruption scandals, people still refuse to believe a Garda can be corrupt.

It’s no wonder they’ve got away with it for so long and continue to get away with it today.

Grow some balls people.

If someone tries to take you down, go after them with everything you have.

Fear of retribution should be more of an incentive, not a reason to cow down and roll over especially when you have video evidence to prove the garda is lying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Where I'm from, if someone joins the guards, that's the end to any friendship or family attachment. Whatever they do to them in templemore, it changes them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I support the Garda especially against pricks who play dumb and get all outraged. Believe or not they'd prefer not to waste their time on such bull****.

I support the Garda especially against pricks who play dumb and get all outraged.

I support them against pricks like that too but that doesn’t mean none of them are corrupt. To say you blindly support then means you support the corrupt ones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Rennaws wrote: »

Despite numerous corruption scandals, people still refuse to believe a Garda can be corrupt.

It’s no wonder they’ve got away with it for so long and continue to get away with it today.

Grow some balls people.

Fear of retribution should be more of an incentive, not a reason to cow down and roll over especially when you have video evidence to prove the garda is lying.

This.

The reactions of people suggesting the victim here is a dickhead and should just Let it all lie, are shocking.
    It's this 'let it lie' attitude that has our country in the state it's in.
    This guy did nothing wrong and can prove it thanks to technology(which some idiot above seems to be doubting the capabilities of, without even knowing what kit the guy has)
    The guy is doing the right thing. Maybe his "do as much damage as possible" sentiment isn't ideal, but a wrong was done. He needs to follow through and see this set straight.
    I say, bring a copy of it down the local station, tell them he wants the ticket quashed and an apology or the video will be online within hours, point out that the Gardai really don't need any more negative publicity.
    If that doesn't happen, file a complaint with garda ombudsman.

And for God's sake, when someone has the will to see a wrongdoing get righted, stand with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know a couple of gardai (not friends) and they're lovely people.

I've also had positive interactions with gardai at station and out on patrol, both when reporting crimes and when being stopped for stuff.

But...there is one rule at a traffic stop, and that's to be incredibly careful with your words. They DO NOT like being told that they're wrong, and they are incredibly sensitive about tone of voice.

So are the traffic pols a bunch of oversensitive pricks, or has the job made them that way? I'd imagine it can't help that they gets dogs abuse all day from the "I pays your wages" crowd.

Anyway, as for this case, I'd go see the sergeant with the recording, and if that doesn't work out, go public. Also, maybe give it more than one meeting, because it'll take some time for them to investigate. And I wouldn't threaten to go public, regardless of what else is said, cos that will end badly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

A similar story was posted in another thread on here the other day. Stories like this actually going back as far as the early/mid 00s when this bs all came in. I read at the time this happened in either Nenagh or Roscrea. Tipperary Star or Nenagh Guardian published it at the time. The man had left his phone behind at work and was pulled over by AGS claiming he was on his phone. I know it went to court but can’t remember what happened whether the case was thrown out or not. Maybe someone from my part of the woods remembers it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

lertsnim wrote: »
    Your friend sounds like a dickhead.

er, sounds more like the Guard is a dickhead to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Grow some balls people.

You'll get more luck outside of Bootlickers.ie :o

I hope this does go to court and the guard gets reprimanded.

However, there may be an onus to make the camera evidence available prior to going to court. I'd be seeing a solicitor first myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Guards are people and people can be pricks no surprise there. Your friend doesn't seem to be the most mellow bloke either.
    However in my guts I probably would feel like your friend does, but then I would think about it and I would conclude this isn't worth it. Not in the sense that you shouldn't be standing up to a guard in the wrong, no you should. But in the sense that its a relatively minor traffic offence not like a fkn murder accusation. I would go to the station and clear it up but I dont think I'd start world war 3 on twitter with the guards over a mobile phone ticket. Different if they made up an accusation of something really serious, but this one isn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'm with your mate 100% ,not a chance in hell if I was innocent would i pay any fine, especially considering I could prove my innocence. Fcuk that cop with his attitude,if he were not in uniform he wouldn't speak to someone like that and get away with it.

And people saying don't post it online or make a big deal of it.. get a grip, nothing get done these days without online pressure,things get hidden when nobody is looking, constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Some posters have said that in any organisation there are pr!cks. That's true.

But a pr!ckish shop assistant or bus driver or whatever is no big deal. A pr!ckish guard is different. The guards have to power on a low level to ruin your day - here we have the OP's friend potentially getting a fine and points. The points could increase his insurance premium. But they also have the power to continue harassing and being a pr!ck to him.

23 Sep 1989 mentioned Templemore. Whatever they're teaching them down there, professionalism isn't one of them.

If the OP's friend goes public, he is a braver person than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i think fair play to your mate. highlighting garda corruption to as wide an audience as possible is the only way to tackle it. otherwise it'll just be buried.

a red top and ombudsman prob best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

What.
    The OP has specifically said you can only see the driver's head and shoulders.

So you cant see his lap and hands.

Therefore he has actually zero proof that his phone was not in use.

The OP was clear...
    The cop says "Don't think im an idiot. I clearly saw you holding a phone to your ear and talking. Are you calling be a liar?"

What.
    The OP has specifically said you can only see the driver's head and shoulders.

So you cant see his lap and hands.

Therefore he has actually zero proof that his phone was not in use.

Powers of observation - poor.

Go back to Templemore for more training Guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

lertsnim wrote: »
    Your friend sounds like a dickhead.

How does he? The Guard sounds like a dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The OP was clear...

The OPs mate and the OP are about doing the max damage possible to the guard.

I'm simply pointing out that without showing his lap and hands the camera does not prove his innocence.

I'm not on the guards side. Just being realistic.

Guard could claim he misspoke or some ****e. Meant speaker phone or some other waffle. Sure it could have just been texting.

I'd not fancy going to court with the evidence personally.

In court a guards word is taken as gospel by a judge particularly in traffic cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Make sure your friend dosnt give the inly or the original copy of yhe tape to the gaurd he complains to as a copy won't be admissable -and we all know how evidence gets 'lost' in garda stations. To make a complaint to GSOC he will have had to comolain to the lical garda station - he needs to make an appointment to see the seargent and tell him to bring a clear headed witness so he dosn't lise the cool or get trapped into saying simething they can do him for. And a copy (only) of the dashcam but to use the appointment to explain that the gaurd was "mistaken" and all the phone and dats records will show this - he can then also complain about how he was spoken to and treated. But remember - they are all mates and lifelong friends and will back each other up to the hilt: including their friends in GSOC.

Advertisement