Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to court for money owed

Options
  • 01-10-2019 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Anyone have any experience of taking someone to court for money owed? Sold cows in April, wrong surname on draft which I only noticed when at the bank, so had to return it. His bank had to send it to Dublin. Said didn't have money until that came back to him. Made a partial payment in July, so owed for half now. Promised full payment few weeks back which didn't happen, so lost faith in him after that, plus he wont answer phone, texts back, eventually. Sent text giving him another week before going legal route, no response..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

pms7 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience of taking someone to court for money owed? Sold cows in April, wrong surname on draft which I only noticed when at the bank, so had to return it. His bank had to send it to Dublin. Said didn't have money until that came back to him. Made a partial payment in July, so owed for half now. Promised full payment few weeks back which didn't happen, so lost faith in him after that, plus he wont answer phone, texts back, eventually. Sent text giving him another week before going legal route, no response..

Better off calling over with a few friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Small claims maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Better off calling over with a few friends.

Call over with a trailer and collect your goods . If not paid for theyre still yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’d say the “wrong” name was accidentally on purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

road_high wrote: »

No flies on you.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

How much are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Best time to look for money is milk cheque time or single farm payment time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

road_high wrote: »

It was a draft though,so they had to have parted with the money to have the draft issued
    Inquiries I'd make first are
    Check with bank as to where the funds behind the draft have gone
    If they are stuck in some kind of bank escrow,then the buyer would be out of pocket and might genuinely be fuddled as to what to do

Get confirmation first where the money for the draft is
    If it's not been refunded to the buyer,you need to get them into the bank to sign paperwork to get it to you
    If it has been refunded to them,set a deadline,then go legal
    Call to see them in either case

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭pms7

How much are we talking about?

€3500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭older by the day

Try a solicitors letter, and see, but court may take a lot of the 3500. I know of a builder who was a owed money and went over to the man's yard and filled it with welder s and gear, he returned them when he got his money. But I would not be bringing trouble like that on yourself and your family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Court route can be very costly and cumbersome, by the time judgement is got and money collected the good is gone out of it. Do a background check on the person, see what their like and call up to the place. Maybe have a cattle box nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

If it's a draft payment though hasn't he already paid for? Was there any reason why they couldn't just reissue the draft with the correct name on it? Otherwise, I presume his bank refunded him the money from the original draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Would small claims court work and keep your costs to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭enricoh

I know a lad who was owed 10k by a lad who out of the blue started stinging everyone.
    Was getting no joy at all so brought him to court, sheriff etc. Started repayments n has stopped again so back to court.
    It has cost the guts of 2 grand so far and yer man has repaid 2 grand. I admire him for bringing him to court n being dogged. Most lads have let him away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭pms7

_Brian wrote: »
    Would small claims court work and keep your costs to a minimum.
    Small claims is capped at 2000 I think.
    The incorrect draft couldn't be refunded immediately, money laundering rules.
    It came back but bank kept it to go towards loan repayments.
    He has just started milking this year, struggling with money, made a partial payment 2 months ago so I am inclined to believe him. Not sure if court can get it off him if he doesn't have it. Said have it next milk cheque, gave him one last chance, court then..
    Lesson learned, in future money in my account by transfer or wait for cheque to clear before let cattle go. I did keep cards and didn't do movement thinking that would be some good, but isn't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

I heard somewhere before maybe here that the department are helpful in such matters might be worth a try

_Brian wrote: »
    Lesson learned, in future money in my account by transfer or wait for cheque to clear before let cattle go. I did keep cards and didn't do movement thinking that would be some good, but isn't really.
    There's a thing down here called a Mart. You get robbed the odd time but you don't have to chase the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I heard somewhere before maybe here that the department are helpful in such matters might be worth a try

Yes there was a case in kerry in last few years where a feed merchant got to keep single farm payments for a few years.. but the value of debt was pretty large .. I’m sure there are other similar cases out there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It was a draft though,so they had to have parted with the money to have the draft issued
    Inquiries I'd make first are
    Check with bank as to where the funds behind the draft have gone
    If they are stuck in some kind of bank escrow,then the buyer would be out of pocket and might genuinely be fuddled as to what to do

Get confirmation first where the money for the draft is
    If it's not been refunded to the buyer,you need to get them into the bank to sign paperwork to get it to you
    If it has been refunded to them,set a deadline,then go legal
    Call to see them in either case

Even before GDPR you wouldn't have got that information from a bank. The only thing a bank will do with a draft is verify that it's legit, they won't provide any other information.
    Small claims is capped at 2000 I think.
    The incorrect draft couldn't be refunded immediately, money laundering rules.
    It came back but bank kept it to go towards loan repayments.
    He has just started milking this year, struggling with money, made a partial payment 2 months ago so I am inclined to believe him. Not sure if court can get it off him if he doesn't have it. Said have it next milk cheque, gave him one last chance, court then..

By aware that the money in your account doesn't mean the cheque has cleared. Your bank will credit your account a few days after you lodge the cheque but that's not the money from the cheque, they only get that money when the physical cheque is returned to the issuing bank and they release the funds to you. If there's no funds in the account the cheque was drawn from your bank will take it's money back from your account. It can take a few weeks for some cheques to be clear. Plenty of people use this method to buy stuff with money they don't have, it's an old scam

Try if at all possible to avoid going to court. Our justice system makes it nearly impossible to get debts repaid, or any satisfaction, if the debtor doesn't want to pay.

How about an agreement of 500 per month for the next 7 months by direct debit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

The animals in your herd profile on cmms won't affect you nitrates stocking rates ??

dar31 wrote: »
    The animals in your herd profile on cmms won't affect you nitrates stocking rates ??

I assume the movement was done late rather than not at all. Would be messy otherwise with testing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

whelan2 wrote: »

This is your best route, I would arrange to meet him and try to get him to agree to an arrangement, I know what the courts are like it, will end up costing you more financially and emotionally, at the end of the day the best way is to try and get something sorted between yourselves unless he is a complete gangster and from reading your postings there is some willingness there to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Happened to us a few years ago, arrived in a lorry and collected cattle, simple as that. Sorted the movement through official channels with Dvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

Take him to court and listen to his solicitor talk about his client depression and suicidal
    thoughts and everyone will be advised to back off and he’ll walk out laughing his head off at you . That is what that sort do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are the cattle still on his farm.? Can you get them back..
    Ór get him to put up something as security.. Tractor, machinery something that you can take away (and he'll want back).. It'd have to be worth a lot more than the outstanding debt

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Happened to us a few years ago, arrived in a lorry and collected cattle, simple as that. Sorted the movement through official channels with Dvo.

Could you explain how this worked tru official channels? Would he not have to give permission to release the cattle from his herd.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

It's not 3.5 million, it's easy to cut off a direct debit. Looking at the answers here I think, you need to suss out the type he is, ask around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Del2005 wrote: »
    Even before GDPR you wouldn't have got that information from a bank. The only thing a bank will do with a draft is verify that it's legit, they won't provide any other information.
    They will provide it to the buyer,which the seller can insist upon
    Failing getting that it’s court and a decree with costs

By aware that the money in your account doesn't mean the cheque has cleared. Your bank will credit your account a few days after you lodge the cheque but that's not the money from the cheque, they only get that money when the physical cheque is returned to the issuing bank and they release the funds to you. If there's no funds in the account the cheque was drawn from your bank will take it's money back from your account. It can take a few weeks for some cheques to be clear. Plenty of people use this method to buy stuff with money they don't have, it's an old scam
    A draft cannot bounce though,it’s different,unless it’s forged
    Try if at all possible to avoid going to court. Our justice system makes it nearly impossible to get debts repaid, or any satisfaction, if the debtor doesn't want to pay.
    I’d agree,talking and an agreement is best
    Trust would be gone if they weren’t prepared to provide proof from the bank that the draft funds weren’t returned or the change of name process started
    A decree with costs registered against the land owners property n the absence of an agreement iis a serious sanction threat against the buyer,one they’d want to avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Best time to look for money is milk cheque time or single farm payment time.

Waiting on BPS payment to come in ?

Advertisement