Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential Log Cabin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Benny122

Hi there

Looking for advise please in relation to planning etc

I have been left a 3-4 acre field with a house on it.

I have the option to sell it. However I’m thinking how would it work to have 6 or 7 log cabin houses in there and all rented? I’d obviously need planning permission

Was thinking of each having their own little garden, concerted patio it’s a big undertaking with a lot of cost but if I rented each out of €500/€600 I’d be dong well.

The field is right on a main road with access into the existing house

Appreciate any feedback

• Administrators Posts: 53,444 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No chance of PP.

Building regulations too.

Also reckon there'd be fire safety implications in building a cluster of log cabins.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Benny122

awec wrote: »
    No chance of PP.

Also reckon there'd be fire safety implications in building a cluster of log cabins.

Hmmm ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Check out the log home company in Greenan.

He’s done exactly what your trying to do. He’s built a 5 or 6 stunning log homes together on a beautiful site near Rathdrum in Wicklow..

He lives in one and rents out the rest as holiday homes.

It would be worth having a chat with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Marcusm wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to call it a prefab?

Please dont joke, I was in school in some for over 12 years. In the summer sweat and the winter you freeze. I would rather live in a homeless shelter than one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 an_fathach

awec wrote: »
    No chance of PP.

Building a cluster of wooden houses is not dangerous.

I think they are not many builders with good know how to construct log houses but there is a few examples around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mariset

I live in a solid log home which was imported in kit form from Finland. It was not a problem getting the planning permission. The house is amazing,
    it looks beautiful. It doesn't cost a fortune to heat because its not made from cold concrete blocks that takes hours or days to heat up. It's a warm comfortable home for our family and it will still be here for several more generations to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Mariset wrote: »
    I live in a solid log home which was imported in kit form from Finland. It was not a problem getting the planning permission. The house is amazing,
    it looks beautiful. It doesn't cost a fortune to heat because its not made from cold concrete blocks that takes hours or days to heat up. It's a warm comfortable home for our family and it will still be here for several more generations to come.

Can you link the grant of planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please dont joke, I was in school in some for over 12 years. In the summer sweat and the winter you freeze. I would rather live in a homeless shelter than one of those.

I live in the modern equivalent of a prefab; "demountable dwelling". They are well insulated and very easy to heat.

Far preferable to a shelter which was almost my alternative.

Co Cavan has three separate devts of timber house like this one

https://www.daft.ie/cavan/houses-for-sale/belturbet/22-the-lodges-cornadarragh-belturbet-cavan-1921596/#img=19

look at the map setting here?

• Advertisement

and this lovely place..

https://www.daft.ie/cavan/houses-for-sale/bawnboy/owengallis-bawnboy-cavan-1846613/

so clearly planning IS possible

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Graces7 wrote: »
    Co Cavan has three separate devts of timber house like this one

https://www.daft.ie/cavan/houses-for-sale/belturbet/22-the-lodges-cornadarragh-belturbet-cavan-1921596/#img=19

look at the map setting here?

Holiday homes. My guess would be they cost more to construct than the current asking price.

In the context of discussion about 'residential log cabins' that usually crops up here, people are usually referring to the €10k - €30k cabins they've seen on the internet. The assumption being they're the first to discover an incredibly cheap way to house their family.

The reality is log cabins suitable as domestic dwellings are nowhere near the €10k - €30k bracket, often being more expensive than traditional construction methods. That's before you even get into the battles with local planners.

Is it possible to get planning permission for a log cabin, yes. Is it likely, no. Is it going to be a cheap build, almost definitely not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

There be no planning permission for these the greedy syndicates and cronyism in Ireland has a few years to run yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kamil1981

What about getting planing permition for something like this,looks like normal home with insulation,fundation and others,not chesp to...???

<SNIP>

Advertisement