Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BVD

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

greysides wrote: »
    IIRC, BVD was reckoned to be in about 70% of herds based on blood antibodies. Not all of those herds would have had PIs though. You presumably had a TASAH investigation last year, did it identify any possible ways the disease may have arrived?
    Getting rid of PIs promptly is always advisable as they are the biggest source of virus and their presence increases the likelihood another pregnant animal will be infected during the window for creating another PI.
    Herd Immunity will be very small now compared to previously due to lack of exposure of animals to the virus so creating a Trojan dam will be easier if virus is present. So its important to keep calved cows away from unchecked calves, where possible, and have all calves tested before breeding starts. Another option, to put in a firewall, is to vaccinate all breeding stock prior to the season starting. It's not foolproof but it is a good measure of help.
    If your job involves visiting marts or other farms separate outer clothes and disinfection of boots should help. In this day and age it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask all visitors to disinfect.
    Contractors slurry spreaders or muck spreaders are a risk that there's no easy answer to. Maybe have them spread the first few loads on silage ground?
    Buying in heifers in-calf is risky. If unavoidable I'd suggest extra precautions around calving time- calve in isolation and keep separate till the test results are back.
    Anyway, I imagine your vet has had a chat with you already. These are just some random thoughts I had.

We've never had a PI...

We've never vaccinated..

However, we used to sell breeding bulls for many years, and would always blood them for BVD. They would always be antibody positive, virus negative, and because of this we had repeat buyers who looked for this result, in that the bull had a natural immunity.

Can there be some form of background exposure that challenges stock to build immunity?

When all PI's have been removed, will there still be some form of background exposure hanging around?

If so, could that mean that we may never be able to stop tagging and testing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

IIRC, BVD was reckoned to be in about 70% of herds based on blood antibodies. Not all of those herds would have had PIs though. You presumably had a TASAH investigation last year, did it identify any possible ways the disease may have arrived?
    Getting rid of PIs promptly is always advisable as they are the biggest source of virus and their presence increases the likelihood another pregnant animal will be infected during the window for creating another PI.
    Herd Immunity will be very small now compared to previously due to lack of exposure of animals to the virus so creating a Trojan dam will be easier if virus is present. So its important to keep calved cows away from unchecked calves, where possible, and have all calves tested before breeding starts. Another option, to put in a firewall, is to vaccinate all breeding stock prior to the season starting. It's not foolproof but it is a good measure of help.
    If your job involves visiting marts or other farms separate outer clothes and disinfection of boots should help. In this day and age it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask all visitors to disinfect.
    Contractors slurry spreaders or muck spreaders are a risk that there's no easy answer to. Maybe have them spread the first few loads on silage ground?
    Buying in heifers in-calf is risky. If unavoidable I'd suggest extra precautions around calving time- calve in isolation and keep separate till the test results are back.
    Anyway, I imagine your vet has had a chat with you already. These are just some random thoughts I had.
    ah yeah and as i said a boundsing neighbour had one in 2017 so it is thought its the likely source he had been clear previously.my worry is that we are in the start of a storm but we ll see.is it possible that some other virus triggers the test.i had that before with brucellosis it turned out it brucellosis afterwards but some other virus cant remember how they came to that conclusion

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Can there be some form of background exposure that challenges stock to build immunity?

That would be the presence of the virus. Main source is PIs but it can still circulate among healthy animals while it waits its opportunity to cause a PI.
    That circulation gives the herd immunity.

When all PI's have been removed, will there still be some form of background exposure hanging around?

Only for a while it will die out, quite rapidly, unless there's another source such as bought in animals that happen to be carrying it.

If so, could that mean that we may never be able to stop tagging and testing?

No, it should soon get to the point where the risk is minimal. Not sure that will be 2020 but it should be soon. Attention then needs to focus on biosecurity.

Id be reluctant to tell anyone who has been vaccinating to stop just yet.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

K.G. wrote: »
    ah yeah and as i said a boundsing neighbour had one in 2017 so it is thought its the likely source he had been clear previously.my worry is that we are in the start of a storm but we ll see.is it possible that some other virus triggers the test.i had that before with brucellosis it turned out it brucellosis afterwards but some other virus cant remember how they came to that conclusion

Ignoring the small degree of error inherent in any test, these tests are extremely specific to the virus. The PCR test which looks for viral genetic material even moreso.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Ignoring the small degree of error inherent in any test, these tests are extremely specific to the virus. The PCR test which looks for viral genetic material even moreso.

How many people on Boards.ie are Not testing for BVD at present? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

How many people on Boards.ie are Not testing for BVD at present? :confused:

Nobody, still mandatory to test every animal born.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Takes 12 months to receive compensation when a pi is removed from the herd. Talk about a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Found a bvd sample the other day in the filter of my washing machine. I'd say it was there since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭High bike

whelan2 wrote: »
    Found a bvd sample the other day in the filter of my washing machine. I'd say it was there since March.
    Did u give out to her for not checking ur pockets:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

whelan2 wrote:

Did the department not flag it as not tested?

• Advertisement

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Did the department not flag it as not tested?

They did and I searched everywhere for the sample. Had to order another tag for it. I knew it would turn up somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Base price wrote: »

This is a pure joke of a scheme, adding more costs to the farmer just to keep a few in gravy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

What’s the story with empties.
    I’ve had 12 this year. Defo doing it right.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    What’s the story with empties.
    I’ve had 12 this year. Defo doing it right.

Are they cormac or mullinahone? I only had 1 empty all year, out of about 180. Which was last week, I'm with mullinahone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are they cormac or mullinahone? I only had 1 empty all year, out of about 180. Which was last week, I'm with mullinahone

I only had 2 or 3 with Mullinahone since it started. I've had 5 or 6 with Cormac this year. I'm hoping the tags last a lot longer with Cormac than Mullinahone so it should more than even out.

Advertisement