Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roper - you're in the well

Options
  • 11-02-2009 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭

Roper can you just introduce yourself briefly - I presume you're still running KO Martial Arts but you've mentioned training people for Ironman comps, are you running a PT service now too?

You're not shy of giving your opinion on the board but in the years that you've been teaching/ training is there anything that you've completely flipped your opinion on or had a major shift of thinking about? If so, why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Good questions gem and as an extension of those

1. How long have you been training clients one to one

2. Toughest workout you have done or teach

3. Pics pics pics - come on get the goods out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hey Roper, I AFAIK you're training for a fight so feel free not to answer any of the following if you want to keep your routine schtum.

1) What is a typical week like training for you?

2) What is your MMA record like?

3) How do you combine weights / strenght training with your MMA? I.e. my squat routine for the week can go out the window if I get a bad leg kick sparring. Do you have to change up your routine every week to deal minor injuries like this?

I'm sure there's more but that'll do for now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

How did you find the shift to full time affected you?
    Would you do it again?
    You mentioned in another thread that you think there are 3 supplements you think people who train regularly should use: whey, creatine and glutamine (iirc). Creatine adds weight and that's not great for fighters. Do you think its benefit outweighs this cost?
    edit: what weight do you fight at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Is there an ideal balance between the following when it comes to mma
    a) strength and cardio
    b) striking and grappling

Whats the weakest part of your game?

Whats the hardest part of training for you?

In terms of your own martial arts career and training, whats your proudest moment?

In terms of coaching, what is your proudest moment?

Whats the best piece of advise you've ever received?

You train kids, how do you keep your sanity?

If you were a contestant on deal or no deal with four boxes left (€1, €5,€10000 and €75000). If the banker offered you €25000, would you deal or no deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I can see this thread descending fast. I know this because I'm inherently involved from the off. I thnk everyone else replied to each question sperately so I'll try to do the same but if I miss a post remind me.
    g'em wrote: »
    Roper can you just introduce yourself briefly - I presume you're still running KO Martial Arts but you've mentioned training people for Ironman comps, are you running a PT service now too?
    Okay, names Barry Oglesby, not Roper as some people think. I am actually a real person. I run KO Martial Arts. Variously, I've boxed, kickboxed, grappled and fought in a variety of things since I was about 14 with some breaks. I've also played football (the proper kind) a bit of soccer and I used to run cross country in school. I've been coaching for 6 years the last 3 as a professional.

I do now do PT, but not as any business really. It sort of happened by accident. Some people started asking about privates in martial arts, I did a few of those, some other people started asking about getting fitter for football, I did a bit of that, and then people started coming to me for all sorts of advice ad I just can't keep my opinions to myself so I gave it. Some liked it, they told their friends, who told their friends, who told their friends. I still don't like to work too much to be honest and I've turned down a fair bit of private work on account of the fact that the person sounded like an ass or I took one or two sessions with them and realised they weren't committed so I gave them someone elses card. It's not that I'm minted I just have lots of other things to do and I like my work to be enjoyable.
    You're not shy of giving your opinion on the board but in the years that you've been teaching/ training is there anything that you've completely flipped your opinion on or had a major shift of thinking about? If so, why?
    Yup there's a load of stuff. I think that the one that relates most to this board is strength training for sports. Like a lot of people who come from boxing/martial arts circles I had a religious attachment to roadwork and light weights and "weights slow you down". I didn't have an epiphany or anything I just watched Athens 04 and thought of how much it would suck to fight a sprinter. Thereafter I went away to go learn how to do stuff better.

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    Good questions gem and as an extension of those

1. How long have you been training clients one to one
    Okay really should have looked before replying to G'em! About 2 years on and off, and only seriously, as in telling people I do it in the last 6 months.:)
    2. Toughest workout you have done or teach
    I'd have to say sprint intervals on the rower for the first bit. And I do some mean things to my guys who are fighting but a lot of them are secret :)
    3. Pics pics pics - come on get the goods out!
    I actually don't think I've any pics of me, well, ones that would go with the topic... I'll hunt some of me fighting out. I know there's one of me with my opponent's hand raised...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Roper wrote: »
    I know there's one of me with my opponent's hand raised...:P

Dont do it man, have some dignity! :D

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

I don't have a real question but I like to take part, where did the name "Roper" come from?

Hey Roper, I AFAIK you're training for a fight so feel free not to answer any of the following if you want to keep your routine schtum.
    No problem, I doubt my opponent will be worrying too much about what I'm doing!
    1) What is a typical week like training for you?
    Monday evening 90 mins grappling
    Tuesday morning 90 mins strength
    Tuesday evening 90mins MMA technique and light sparring
    Wednesday morning 60 mins Muay Thai, sometimes weds evening muay Thai sparring
    Thursday morning 90mins strength and conditioning
    Thursday evening 90 mins grappling
    Friday morning 90mins recovery session or strength session
    Saturday morning 60 mins conditioning, 60 mins MMA sparring.
    2) What is your MMA record like?
    Average/poor. I'm 1-1. [moan]I've had my injury problems, this is actually the longest period I've been training in two years[/moan] but I intend to have a good few fights this year to make up for lost time and then call it a day.
    3) How do you combine weights / strenght training with your MMA? I.e. my squat routine for the week can go out the window if I get a bad leg kick sparring. Do you have to change up your routine every week to deal minor injuries like this?
    Yes but not often. I did the same as you about two weeks ago and wasn't able to lunge/squat for a day or two but I just subbed in something I could do. I train quite smart, injuries have made it neccessary to do so. These days I only really have 8 or so heavy rounds a week. I don't really roll with giants who want to squeeze my neck anymore and I'll only spar with people I trust.

Khannie wrote: »
    How did you find the shift to full time affected you?
    A bit less work for a lot less money :)
    Would you do it again?
    In a heartbeat. It's the best thing I ever did for my sanity, my happiness and I spend loads of time with the boy. I had a pretty decent job that I didn't enjoy, I was part time studying, part time coaching, full time working and about to become a very, very part time Da if I didn't take action so I made the decision to make a go of the coaching.
    You mentioned in another thread that you think there are 3 supplements you think people who train regularly should use: whey, creatine and glutamine (iirc). Creatine adds weight and that's not great for fighters. Do you think its benefit outweighs this cost?
    edit: what weight do you fight at?
    Creatine doesn't add weight, calories add weight and although there is some water retention, I think it's manageable as long as it doesn't affect weigh ins. I just think it's good for recovery. As you can see above I do a lot of sessions and there's only really two factors I have to think about, rest and recovery. I fight at welter 77kgs although after a rush of blood to the head I fought at 84kgs in my last fight. Lotsa whey that time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Roper if you could choose 1 fighter past / present you could step into the ring with who would you choose and why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Dubdude wrote: »
    Roper if you could choose 1 fighter past / present you could step into the ring with who would you choose and why???

Silly question - Markus Ruhl !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

Roper, whats your favourite Europe song?
    I don't really roll with giants
    HA! I saw giant Andy on your back the other night trying to get the RNC. Fair dues to you, he had to give it up.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Is there an ideal balance between the following when it comes to mma
    a) strength and cardio
    I don't think they're mutaully exclusive. In fact I'd say that much like a Jedi's strength flows from the force, your cardio should flow from your strength. That's a bit abstract...
    b) striking and grappling
    I think that you're better off being really good at one thing, and pretty good at another. I'm not impressed with a lot of "all rounders" (pomposity there). People aim for a good all round game but because of the level of coaching in Ireland (no offence intended to anyone) what you end up being is a poor boxer, a poor wrestler and poor at BJJ. That being said with the right coaching you could be great at everything, but you'll always have a stronger range due to bodytype, genetics, personality.
    Whats the weakest part of your game?
    Easy, wrestling!
    Whats the hardest part of training for you?
    Dividing coaching and training. I think I've struck the balance now even if it means being ignorant on sparring nights.
    In terms of your own martial arts career and training, whats your proudest moment?
    Well, I put on a pretty big show last year which was a high point. I'm going to be all serious for a second and say that it's not a fight or anything like that it's what a life of being fit, strong and confident has given me. I'm a little bit scared of spiders but that's it. Other than that there's not too many situations I face in life that can possibly be worse than climbing into a ring to get punched in the face.
    In terms of coaching, what is your proudest moment?
    Seeing a young ginger kid climb into the ring in December. He's everything I want the gym to represent.
    Whats the best piece of advise you've ever received?
    I've recieved lots of good advice but none sticks out as a one liner.
    You train kids, how do you keep your sanity?
    Valium.
    Seriously I love those kids. There's a few kids in my teenage class who I've had since they were nine and I actually think I'd cry a bit if they left.
    If you were a contestant on deal or no deal with four boxes left (€1, €5,€10000 and €75000). If the banker offered you €25000, would you deal or no deal?
    In spite of the amount I post in the interweb, I am actually quite busy so have never had the opportunity to enjoy this daytime gameshow. I think I understand though it's like stick or hit right? I always hit on 19 so yeah, I want the €75000 gimme.

I don't have a real question but I like to take part, where did the name "Roper" come from?

That's actually a really boring story. I'm sure your imagination can do better than the reality!

Dubdude wrote: »
    Sugar Ray Robinson. I like boxers to be boxers and he was the best of them.

kerinsp wrote: »
    Roper, whats your favourite Europe song?
    Hmmm, you know, most people would say The Final Countdown, but that's only because they haven't heard or appreciated the magnum opus that was the Album "The Final Countdown". The subtlety of Carrie, the wailing guitar on Danger! The ode to misplacement and genocide that was Cherokee. But overall, if I had to pick a favourite, it would have to be the magnificent Ninja Survive.

HA! I saw giant Andy on your back the other night trying to get the RNC. Fair dues to you, he had to give it up.
    Some things are just unavoidable and rolling with the odd giant is one of them. I'll be quitting that lark closer to the fight though!

if I had to pick a favourite, it would have to be the magnificent Ninja Survive
    :D:D:D

You all see? This was a great idea, you just don't get Patrick Bateman style reviews of 80's cockrock in the other 'in the well' threads.

You would have loved Judas Priest last night in the point then. Talk about theatrical! Cockrock on a magnificant level. We left early of course....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

I've had my injury problems, this is actually the longest period I've been training in two years[/moan] but I intend to have a good few fights this year to make up for lost time and then call it a day.

Yes but not often. I did the same as you about two weeks ago and wasn't able to lunge/squat for a day or two but I just subbed in something I could do. I train quite smart, injuries have made it neccessary to do so. These days I only really have 8 or so heavy rounds a week. I don't really roll with giants who want to squeeze my neck anymore and I'll only spar with people I trust.

Hey,

Just to follow up a bit more on the injury side of things.

Is there anything different you've done in the last 2 yrs that have resulted in staying injury free?

Leaving aside the sparring side of things that you answered above, is there anything specific in your strength & conditioning training, flexibility side of things that you believe has helped in keeping those injuries away? Do you find a lot can come down to simply warming up correctly?

Thanks,

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Roper,

Wats you 1RM on the big 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

I think I recall you having said before that to benifit from HIIT you reckon the person needs to have a pretty decent level of fitness I think you said 5km run in around 25 mins. Was a while ago so I may have got it wrong, just wondering why? and what do you think a good fitness base is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭pacquiao

Hi Roper. You said you like boxing. Concerning boxing, which type of fighter are you?

Boxer/Out-fighter
    Boxer/Puncher
    Brawler/Slugger
    Swarmers/In-fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What's you honest to god opinon of TKD? (ITF not WTF).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Who's been your best coach and why?

Which element of mma do you find students struggle most with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

That's actually a really boring story. I'm sure your imagination can do better than the reality!

Does it involve your tenant pretending to be gay so he can live with two birds with hilarious consequences?

Will try to tackle a few of these now. I'll get to them.
    TKD SC wrote: »
    Hey,

Just to follow up a bit more on the injury side of things.

Is there anything different you've done in the last 2 yrs that have resulted in staying injury free?

Leaving aside the sparring side of things that you answered above, is there anything specific in your strength & conditioning training, flexibility side of things that you believe has helped in keeping those injuries away? Do you find a lot can come down to simply warming up correctly?

Thanks,

Simon
    Good and proper warm ups have definitely been a part of it. My problem used to be that I would be talking to someone, introducing a newbie to the gym or talking to someone about their class or whatever and then jump straight in after only a couple of minutes movement. These days nobody disturbs my warm up!

Mobility warm ups and dynamic work before training has really helped my general well being, and since working with Will Heffernan I do pull aparts, dislocates, scap ups etc. for my back before each session even if I'm not lifting.

dave80 wrote: »
    Roper,

Wats you 1RM on the big 3?
    Deadlift 160kg @80kgs
    Squat 140kg @85kg
    Bench 90kg @85kgs

The bench and squat are from about a year and a half ago, but I haven't benched much since then and don't really bother with it due to some issues. I missed bodyweight about 3 months ago though on account of that.

• Advertisement

pacquiao wrote: »
    Hi Roper. You said you like boxing. Concerning boxing, which type of fighter are you?

Boxer/Out-fighter
    Boxer/Puncher
    Brawler/Slugger
    Swarmers/In-fighter
    I'm not really a boxer so none of the above!

Advertisement