Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge mode on new Vodafone Gigabit modem (SIRO)

Options
  • 31-10-2018 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

(Mods - please move this if it's in the wrong forum)
    I recently got Vodafone siro installed having been with Virgin media for the last few years. 
    I have the new gigabit modem that I'd like to bridge to my netgear nighthawk r7000.
    I went to the Bridge Mode page on the gigabit modem and selected "Legacy RG IPv4 Mode" (the only option) and rebooted the modem with the netgear modem attached.
    I can still see and connect to the gigabit wireles network and when I connect to the netgear modem and type in the modem IP address it connects to the gigbit modem.
    Also if I connect to the netgear network I have no internet.
    I cannot access the netgear modem home page. 
    Any ideas?
    5eubmp.jpg
    s62328.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Forget the powerstation, you have SIRO. You don't need to bridge.

Set VLAN10 on the WAN int of the Netgear. Use it solo. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PS: If your package is the 1000Mb one disable the traffic monitor on the R7000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You only use bridge if you're using the modem. Otherwise just replace it with the Netgear, you'll have to tag vlan10 on the Wan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

OK, I'll give it a go when I get home, sounds almost too easy. 😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Got it working. Used this thread for additional settings.

Leaving this here for future reference...
    Settings:
    Set VLAN10 on the WAN of the Netgear.

Then go to Internet Settings on the router and enter the following:

User Name: vodafone@vodafone.ie
    (a.k.a. Network ID, PPP Username, Login or Login Username)

Password: broadband

Encapsulation: PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)

Preferred DNS: 89.19.64.36
    Alternate DNS: 89.19.64.164

294ougo.jpg

2ezn4zs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

Hi

I am with Virgin Media at the moment but I am considering switching to Vodafone gigabit. I would like to keep by Asus AC68U router which is currently bridged to the VM modem so I can keep the faster Wifi between different devices on my LAN. I think I read somewhere the wifi on the vodafone router is about 500Mbps and my Asus is faster. It seems from reading this post that I could just replace the router they provide with my Asus. Is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Correct, once your router supports vlan tagging on the wan port and has enough processing power to deal with a high speed connection you can completely replace the router that you got from your ISP on both SIRO and openeir FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 djoten

Hi Folks, long time no threads here. I have Asus AC5300 router which have to replace the Gigabox provided by Vodafone. The thing is, how to connect my landline phone device to the VOIP line which comes with SIRO when their Gigabox isn't plugged anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Hi all, I presume this would be the right topic for my question (regarding Gigabox router).

Installers came and put the router in the corner of a house because that was near the electrical cabinet. Of course that position means that wi-fi is crap everywhere except for the living room. (same device goes from 280/200 in the living room all the way down to 25/14 on the first floor). Luckily this are looking better with the cable since cable caps out at around 920/200.

Since my "office" room is on the 1st floor (opposite side of the house) and I want to use those 920/200 there, I was already planning on getting a 20-30m of cat6 cable.

That leaves me with the uneven wi-fi coverage problem :D

My question would be: Would it be possible to combine two routers in the house? For instance that both vodafone and netgear/tplink/somethingElse "broadcast" the same network and depending on the signal you automatically connect either to one or the other? One router would ideally be where it is, and the other would be wired up on the opposite side of the house.

Or did I completely miss the thread? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Fwarder wrote: »
    Hi all, I presume this would be the right topic for my question (regarding Gigabox router).

Installers came and put the router in the corner of a house because that was near the electrical cabinet. Of course that position means that wi-fi is crap everywhere except for the living room. (same device goes from 280/200 in the living room all the way down to 25/14 on the first floor). Luckily this are looking better with the cable since cable caps out at around 920/200.

Since my "office" room is on the 1st floor (opposite side of the house) and I want to use those 920/200 there, I was already planning on getting a 20-30m of cat6 cable.

That leaves me with the uneven wi-fi coverage problem :D

My question would be: Would it be possible to combine two routers in the house? For instance that both vodafone and netgear/tplink/somethingElse "broadcast" the same network and depending on the signal you automatically connect either to one or the other? One router would ideally be where it is, and the other would be wired up on the opposite side of the house.

Or did I completely miss the thread? :D

Yes it is possible. You have a few options:

1) An access point connected by Ethernet cable to the main router. This would broadcast WiFi on separate channels but with the same SSID so your devices can roam between the two. Technically the access point can be a router with the routing functions disabled but standalone access points are also available.

2) A mesh WiFi system such as Netgear Orbi, TP-LINK Deco etc. Generally these would take over all WiFi duties so you would disable WiFi on the main router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

djoten wrote: »
    Hi Folks, long time no threads here. I have Asus AC5300 router which have to replace the Gigabox provided by Vodafone. The thing is, how to connect my landline phone device to the VOIP line which comes with SIRO when their Gigabox isn't plugged anymore?

As it would be nice to 'ditch' the Vodafone Gigabox it would be interesting to hear if it was at all possible to use your own router when you have a VOIP/Landline in the package ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

ED E wrote: »
    Forget the powerstation, you have SIRO. You don't need to bridge.

Set VLAN10 on the WAN int of the Netgear. Use it solo. Job done.

I just switched from Eir FTTH to Vodafone FTTH to get the half price offer.

I’ve been using my own OpenWrt router with Eir which has VLAN 10 tagged on the WAN (no PPoe modem in it-its the EdgeRouter X), but for Vodafone, it simply never gets an IP.

When I plug in the Vodafone supplied router, I see it uses FTTH_PPoe and FTTH_Ipoe is empty.

Is this normal?

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I just switched from Eir FTTH to Vodafone FTTH to get the half price offer.

I’ve been using my own OpenWrt router with Eir which has VLAN 10 tagged on the WAN (no PPoe modem in it-its the EdgeRouter X), but for Vodafone, it simply never gets an IP.

When I plug in the Vodafone supplied router, I see it uses FTTH_PPoe and FTTH_Ipoe is empty.

Is this normal?

Yes. Vodafone don't use IPoE, they use PPPoE. Are you sure the ER X can't do PPPoE?

Yes. Vodafone don't use IPoE, they use PPPoE. Are you sure the ER X can't do PPPoE?

Ah ok. From some Googling I think it might do PPPoe. Let me try that out. Thanks!

Ah ok. From some Googling I think it might do PPPoe. Let me try that out. Thanks!

https://community.ui.com/questions/PPPoe-vlan-tagging/78b4bd99-8de6-44a3-8e48-d3346c38c7d9

It works! Thanks again.

No problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭one4one

Hey all,

Got FTTH and currently have the Vodafone gigabit modem in bridge mode and connect to a ubiquity edgerouter x. Ideally I like to completely remove the Vodafone router and connect directly to the ONT. When I go to setup a new PPPoE connection on the edgerouter and I set Vlan 10 and plug directly into the ONT I have no internet connection.

For PPPoE username and password I'm using Vodafone@Vodafone.ie and broadband as the password.

Am I missing something?

one4one wrote: »
    Hey all,

Got FTTH and currently have the Vodafone gigabit modem in bridge mode and connect to a ubiquity edgerouter x. Ideally I like to completely remove the Vodafone router and connect directly to the ONT. When I go to setup a new PPPoE connection on the edgerouter and I set Vlan 10 and plug directly into the ONT I have no internet connection.

For PPPoE username and password I'm using Vodafone@Vodafone.ie and broadband as the password.

Am I missing something?

Works for me on the EdgeRouter X but I am using OpenWrt on it. Can you post screenshots?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Hey all,

Am I missing something?

I thought the username was <modemserialnumber>@vfieftth not vodafone@vodafone.ie

• Advertisement

Works for me on the EdgeRouter X but I am using OpenWrt on it. Can you post screenshots?

I tried a few different usernames but haven't tried the serial number of the Vodafone router.

In the edge router, I'm just selecting wizard and then wan+2lan2.

https://ibb.co/j8PrD7V
    https://ibb.co/jyfLqgK

Your settings look good. Here are mine.

https://ibb.co/VQtmSfQ
    https://ibb.co/j8WPM9n
    https://ibb.co/hMXX8qN

Only thing I can think of is the VLAN 10 needs to be tagged also on the CPU in OpenWrt Switch settings. Is there such a setting on your UI?

Only thing I can think of is the VLAN 10 needs to be tagged also on the CPU in OpenWrt Switch settings. Is there such a setting on your UI?

Are you sure you're on SIRO network and not Open Eir?
    I just see many posts saying you need to use the modem serial as the username with Vodafone on SIRO.
    Not sure how accurate the info is as there's not many posts about it.

I'm on FTTH (not Siro).

Use "one2one" above mentioned FTTH so I was replying to that.

I'm on FTTH (not Siro).

Use "one2one" above mentioned FTTH so I was replying to that.

SIRO is also FTTH but a completely different network so good possibility of different PPPoE settings.

I don't think so unless I need to use the CLI to make further changes.

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you sure you're on SIRO network and not Open Eir?
    I just see many posts saying you need to use the modem serial as the username with Vodafone on SIRO.
    Not sure how accurate the info is as there's not many posts about it.

Sorry I'm not on SIRO just regular fiber connection from the exchange.

Sorry I'm not on SIRO just regular fiber connection from the exchange.

You're on the open eir network? FTTH just means a fibre line goes directly to you house and there are different networks that can provide this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

I just had Vodafone 1000m fiber to the home installed via SIRO
    I tested there router to verify I was getting the full speed before removing it and using my own asus R-AC5300
    Set the VlanID to 10 and changed the WAN port to PPPOE, used the vodafone router SN @vfieftth.ie and got connection.

Unfortunately the speed hits around 200 max

Has anyone had a similar issue and is there something Ive missed?

I also tried my own asus router sn vfieftth.ie with the broadband password and again got connection but speeds have not increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Where usually on a router settings would I input VLANID=10?

Have a TP-Link Archer C9 and it doesn't look like an option?

Advertisement