Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Just got FTTH installed with Vodafone on a 500/50 package. It was an upgrade from FTTC which was coming in about 90MB.
    Wired tests come in at around 450 and WiFi upto 350 for the FTTH.
    But I'm having problems with homeplugs. I have 5 of them( All TP Link, 3 TL-PA411t1 and 2 TLPA4010PKITV22. They are capable of 500MB and 600 MB respectively).

Previously they got between 50-80 MB download on my 90MB FTTC connection.
    With the upgrade to FTTH, I'm still only getting about the same range and worse on some plugs. Oddly the upload is good. Mostly getting the max 50. I've tried resetting them all and it didn't help. I expect some loss but even if it was 50% loss I should still be getting 200MB download speed.

Anyone have any ideas. Should I upgrade so I have the exact same plugs everywhere. Any plugs that are better for FTTH connections?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Just got FTTH installed with Vodafone on a 500/50 package. It was an upgrade from FTTC which was coming in about 90MB.
    But I'm having problems with homeplugs. I have 5 of them( All TP Link, 3 TL-PA411t1 and 2 TLPA4010PKITV22. They are capable of 500MB and 600 MB respectively).

With the upgrade to FTTH, I'm still only getting about the same range and worse on some plugs. Oddly the upload is good. Mostly getting the max 50. I've tried resetting them all and it didn't help. I expect some loss but even if it was 50% loss I should still be getting 200MB download speed.

Anyone have any ideas. Should I upgrade so I have the exact same plugs everywhere. Any plugs that are better for FTTH connections?

Thanks

Have you got two plugs cabled to the same router or switch?
    Could have them looping traffic between themselves causing a broadcast storm? If one sees the other on the same socket they will get traffic and keep sending echoes back at each other completely clogging up the network!

Does your old Vodafone modem perform better could be the modem itself?

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Have you got two plugs cabled to the same router or switch?
    Could have them looping traffic between themselves causing a broadcast storm? If one sees the other on the same socket they will get traffic and keep sending echoes back at each other completely clogging up the network!

Does your old Vodafone modem perform better could be the modem itself?

No the 5 plugs are separate; 1 at router, 2 at 2 TV, 1 at he office and 1 at smart home hub.

Not sure on modem (old vs new). Obviously because of FTTH vs FFTC it seems to me like the new one is alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

JThey are capable of 500MB and 600 MB respectively).

In a lab under ideal conditions, real world usually much less than that (though shouldn't be worse than previously).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

I can confirm powerline homeplugs are crap. You are lucky to get the speeds you are getting from them. Also dont bother upgrading the plugs, it does not help. A light breeze can interfere with them.

• Advertisement

user1842 wrote: »
    I can confirm powerline homeplugs are crap. You are lucky to get the speeds you are getting from them. Also dont bother upgrading the plugs, it does not help. A light breeze can interfere with them.

Fair enough, but I was getting only about 10%-40% drop in download speed when I was on FTTC. I'm now getting a drop of 80%-85% in download speed when on FTTH. Any the upload oddly seems fine.

The only difference is that there is a now a modem & huawei optical network terminal plugged in beside the homeplug that distributes the network. Previous it was only a modem. Maybe the extra device is causing some interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Thanks
    I have personally never seen anywhere near the max capable speed from Home Plugs when I used them. They used to do about 50Mbps to 60Mbps for me max.

The actual speed you'll see depends on many things:
    • How your house is wired - Did your electrician do any funny things with the cables when installing?
    • Are you connecting across different wiring loops?
    • Is your connection going across a line with a high power load that supplying something like a Drying Machine?
    You could put the two homeplugs right beside each other in the same socket to test them if you want to emulate a best case scenario.

Homeplugs are fine if you want to get wired ethernet to something and you don't care that much about the speed. However, if you really want to max our your FTTH 100% reliably, you'll need wired ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

Fair enough, but I was getting only about 10%-40% drop in download speed when I was on FTTC. I'm now getting a drop of 80%-85% in download speed when on FTTH. Any the upload oddly seems fine.

The performance of your new connection is largely irrelevant to the homeplugs, they wont give you X% of your connection, they give you their own maximum performance.

Sounds like your old connection was near the limits of their ability, now you have a better one their limitations are being shown up. Also the as the plugs often have similar upload and download capability your upload is still under their max speed so you can get near 100% on it.

To get full advantage of a 500Mbps connection you need to start looking at Ethernet and/or good quality Mesh setups.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Previously they got between 50-80 MB download...

Then they're not capable of 5-600Mb/s; they're capable of 50-80Mb/s.

Homeplugs are the classic attempt to polish a turd/make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Mains wiring is a house is not designed to carry high-speed data. In fact, if you were setting out to design a system that's explicitly crap at carrying high-speed data, mains wiring would be a useful place to start.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I've reached the limit of homeplugs. I'll see how the wifi performs first and then might look into finding a way to run some Ethernet cable. Anyone recommend a good Cat 6/7 cable that could be run outside? I might have a path to run a cable from modem to TV area by going taking the cable outside.

• Advertisement

Just make sure it's UV-rated cable, which is almost invariably black in colour. You don't need to go mad with gel-filled or armoured, and you don't need it to be shielded - UTP will do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭ondafly

so theres been 2 more visits to the pole outside :D - both times I've just missed the guys to ask them, but what is the general flow of events ? Do I get notified by postal drop the service is available ? is Eir the only option as K/N OpenEir did the work, or is it ISP agnostic ?

ondafly wrote: »
    so theres been 2 more visits to the pole outside :D - both times I've just missed the guys to ask them, but what is the general flow of events ? Do I get notified by postal drop the service is available ? is Eir the only option as K/N OpenEir did the work, or is it ISP agnostic ?

You're unlikely to be notified at all. It's ISP agnostic; open eir is a wholesaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

babi-hrse wrote: »
    It means the 7th dp on the a switch comes through to that manhole the 8th in the next and so on the dp will usually be 003007a the a denotes that they'd all be going back to the same point in the splitter further on you'll see them start over on a b circuit. If you plug a fibre cable in 007a or 008a there's a fair chance it'll work and lock on. However if you plug someone who's meant to be on an a but plug them into a b there's no chance of it synching up. The numbers are just telling the people installing the boxes which box to put the dps

Any thoughts on what marking a cover with just an X means?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Any thoughts on what marking a cover with just an X means?

Not a clue they spray F on some joint boxes or an L on a pole to mark fibre locations don't know what an X means

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

OpenEIR FTTH has won the race with SIRO to become active/available for service at my address.
    I'm looking forward to finally dropping Virgin Media and seeing some better value.
    527699.PNG

Now its time to pick a service provider, the new tier of packages will have me aiming for the 500/50 package and a provider that will allow my own router without bridge mode.
    With reduced work for the Mrs, and me being a student/pensioner price really does become my biggest consideration.
    Currently that leaves me looking fairly squarely at VF for service.
    Anyone have any alternatives? Or is there anything I'm missing?

Considering the effort Airwire put into their line-checker, I'd love to go with them just as a "thank you" ;) but cant really countenance the monthly cost currently for their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As a pensioner, the cheapest would be the pensioner deal with eir, wouldn't it ?

But then again .. their support is complete and utter non-existant.

And as for pricing ... the cheap prices are only there for a limited period. You'll have to re-negotiate or move provider every year, to keep it like that. Pensioner pricing being the exception.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    As a pensioner, the cheapest would be the pensioner deal with eir, wouldn't it ?

But then again .. their support is complete and utter non-existant.

And as for pricing ... the cheap prices are only there for a limited period. You'll have to re-negotiate or move provider every year, to keep it like that. Pensioner pricing being the exception.

/M

I say pensioner, but as a medical/invalidity pensioner so I don't get OAP pricing and my household income is above the threshold for the free allowance package.

So I'd probably be far more fairly described as cheap ;)
    Honestly tho, much like everyone else I am facing a restricted income and likely even worsening for the foreseeable as I go through the joys of being a student again.

I'm long used to the yearly dance of move or negotiate, but even at that most of the FTTH deals are at @60% the price I'm currently paying so happy to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

banie01 wrote: »
    OpenEIR FTTH has won the race with SIRO to become active/available for service at my address.
    I'm looking forward to finally dropping Virgin Media and seeing some better value.

Now its time to pick a service provider, the new tier of packages will have me aiming for the 500/50 package and a provider that will allow my own router without bridge mode.
    With reduced work for the Mrs, and me being a student/pensioner price really does become my biggest consideration.
    Currently that leaves me looking fairly squarely at VF for service.
    Anyone have any alternatives? Or is there anything I'm missing?

Considering the effort Airwire put into their line-checker, I'd love to go with them just as a "thank you" ;) but cant really countenance the monthly cost currently for their service.

What a sight that is! Being able to see it's finally coming...

I got excited about our estate 6-8 weeks ago as Fibre was being pumped in.

Last week I found out only half the houses in the estate are getting it. The rest of us are just left with nothing.

It's crazy! Houses at the front of the estate have it, then it has to come past my house to enable the houses at the back.

Those of us in the middle left with nothing and I can't find out from OpenEir why this is. Frustrating after doing all the chasing for it, only to get half the houses connected, but left with nothing myself

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

martin, any update on the ifn future premises being included in your updates, remember i read you mentioned something on this a while back

banie01 wrote: »
    I say pensioner, but as a medical/invalidity pensioner so I don't get OAP pricing and my household income is above the threshold for the free allowance package.

So I'd probably be far more fairly described as cheap ;)
    Honestly tho, much like everyone else I am facing a restricted income and likely even worsening for the foreseeable as I go through the joys of being a student again.

I'm long used to the yearly dance of move or negotiate, but even at that most of the FTTH deals are at @60% the price I'm currently paying so happy to do it.

I ended up booking my FTTH service with Sky. VF do have a free install offer but they were absolutely painful to deal with and they would still only allow me to order FTTC.

Sky on the other hand, the ordering process was smooth. Yes there is an install fee but as I paid that via a cashback card and setup payment from the same card I will at get 2% back on all the charges.

Submitted my cancellation request to virgin yesterday. They emailed me back confirming my 30 days and that service would terminate on the 28/10.
    Then they immediately cut the service!
    Despite this billing period being paid up to the 3/10 and still having the notice period to serve!?

Luckily my router has a dual WAN option and I was able to fall back over to a 4G service once I'd twigged what had gone wrong with the provisioning ;)

I must be the 1st person ever to complain about not serving a notice period!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

There's a few threads on here about Vodafone and how bad they are. Avoid unless absolutely necessary I always say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

For my family home it says Available soon for Fibre to the Home (150-1000 Mbit/s). Do you have any idea how soon that could be? within the next few months or could be a lot longer than that?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

For my family home it says Available soon for Fibre to the Home (150-1000 Mbit/s). Do you have any idea how soon that could be? within the next few months or could be a lot longer than that?

Generally 2-6 months. There are no guaranteed time frames. The reason, it's listed as "Available soon", is that OpenEIR now has indexed it for FTTH. So they are in the process of bringing it online.

Tried searching for this on Eir's website - and also admittedly a quick search here. Also engaged with their online chat, to be told they cannot guarantee an upload speed.

What is the upload speed on the 1Gb package from Eir - trying to compare them with Virgin et al

ondafly wrote: »
    What is the upload speed on the 1Gb package from Eir - trying to compare them with Virgin et al

100Mb/s.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Virgins is pretty poor at 55, which is the bare minimum (if even) to support a 1 Gbit/s download.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    100Mb/s.

thanks - I had a feeling it was that - but no where on their site do they state it, at least that I can find easily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

100 is the maximum upload you can get on residential broadband in this country from both OpenEir and Siro.

Siro used to give 200 on their 1 gig plans but this has since been reduced to 100 for all new customers. I get the feeling this upload will not increase for possibly several more years.

100 upload is more than enough for most people however, but it is a shame there isn't a higher upload option for those who really need it, even as an add on at additional cost.

Advertisement