Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biodiesel

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

thanks for the reply. I had no idea such a thing existed. Upside as I see it: getting fuel from waste is an excellent idea and it consumes what would otherwise go into landfill or the sea. Downside: the Govt will impose the same duties on the fuel so it means no saving to the hard-pressed motorist to use it. that's cynical of me but they've effectively already destroyed any personal or industrial incentive to use green fuels, by taxing the **** out of it.apart from that, well done to your son.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

This is being done on an industrial scale in Ireland Germany and Japan. Cynar PLC, an Irish company has a plant in Portlaoise processes 60 tons of waste plastic from Bord na mona and Portlaoise County council. They process it into diesel which they sell in bulk to fleet owners. They are currently building similar plants in the UK and Canada.
    The technology is not new but what has changed is the viability. High fuel prices combined with rapidly rising land fill costs have made this process financially attractive.
    What makes our process different is the small scale. Up until now pyrolizing plants have been massive industrial units. Our unit is scaled to household or small business needs. We use a cheap disposable catalyst which is replaced for every batch. If you want to follow our progress we have set up a website explaining the process and the project. Im not allowed to post a website address here but if you pm me Ill send you the address.

Brilliant to hear this happening. I went to see a few places selling biodiesel and it was all a shed operation, probably just washed diesel. All the best with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Stovepipe you are right, most of the price of fuel is tax, and the rest is profit for Big Oil.
    As a friend of mine wrote many years ago, If you want to know what freedom feels like, make your own fuel, grow your own food and dont borrow money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Stovepipe you are right, most of the price of fuel is tax, and the rest is profit for Big Oil.
    As a friend of mine wrote many years ago, If you want to know what freedom feels like, make your own fuel, grow your own food and dont borrow money.

i am unable due to health reasons to do either no. one or no. two, but no. three i adhere ridgely to, if i could i would be on to no. one immediatly for my trusty 96 virata 2.0l vitara, i am toying with the idea of if purchaseing biodesiel is possible, i do have a 100 gal container, all it requires is some fittings, the main obsticle is the purchaseing of a trailer to place the container on.

It is not easy to purchase genuine biodiesel. If the operation is legal the price will be higher than regular derv. Two people have sent me samples recently of what they purchased as "biodiesel". I was able to analyse them and in both cases it was very badly washed agricultural diesel. Asides from being illegal it was filthy stuff, laden with water, and would quickly harm an engine.

• Advertisement

It seems I misunderstood the rules of the forum and I may post the website address about converting waste plastic to diesel fuel. I should point out though that this is not a commercial venture. The website simply describes the progress of our experiments with this technology. Others are welcome to use the information to experiment themselves without having to reinvent the wheel. I am a great believer in the power of open source development but I would make the point that if you choose to try out this technology you are responsible for your own safety. Messing about with hydrocarbon gases at temperatures well above their flash points can be very dangerous.
    www.polydiesel.webs.com

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭installer

Hi imakebiodiesel, firstly congrats to both you and your son, secondly I am really interested in producing biodiesel, I must admit that I have no knowledge on the subject other than what I have read here but would be really interested in visiting you at your place for a visual insight into the process. Also I will buy 1 of your kits to get me started, could you pm me the details inc price etc so I can begin preperations.
    Thanks and keep up the good work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Does the goverment interfere much in this...as in tax the fcuk out of you for producing it???

i'l be using it mainly for home heating so i guess the chances of them finding out are fairly slim.

Hi Installer, I post on this site to provide accurate information to people interested in biodiesel. I cant and dont want to promote my business here.
    Paddy, The revenue will want 44cents per litre. Im registered as a Tax Warehouse and pay my dues but Im told by others who have tried to register that some revenue officers will simply refuse an application by a small producer. This makes it very difficult for someone who wants do things by the book.

• Advertisement

Hi imakebiodiesel, I understand completely and have actually come across other sites that you are on so to speak and i will be in touch. I think its great what you are doing and it offers a brilliant insight to people on what can be accomplished given the right tools and a litle motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

installer wrote: »
    ...I will buy 1 of your kits to get me started
    Folks, I've spoken to imakebiodiesel about this already, but just so everyone else is clear, the purpose of this thread is to provide advice on making biodiesel. It is not a place to either advertise or request goods or services.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mickredirl

Just come across this tread. Any updates on where to buy biodiesel. I think its unfortunate that Bio diesel appears to have not evolved more in Ireland in the last few years!!

Hopefully Im wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

@mickredirl please re-read the post above yours. Please don't reopen very old threads.

Advertisement