Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Doorley - food critic, wine expert, bluffer.

• 05-02-2015 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Tom is hilarious on the Restaurant. He really hasn't a clue but looks at his colleagues for hints about what he is eating.

On last night's programme he actually commented that it was the best desert ever even though he didn't eat it! Just watched some nobody celeb orgasming over a doughnut.

Then Tom orgasmed, it was brilliant TV. My question to the wise on aH is how did this guy ever get on telly? The wine expert moniker is even funnier, I swear one of these days he is going to say a red is white - he is that clueless.

It is car crash telly watching this guy, totally fun but really what's the story! Fair play to him, nice bunts I'm sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Mainly bluffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

I prefer Spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

He's no Jay Rayner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good job he's not in politics as he'd have competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

buck65 wrote: »
    Tom is hilarious on the Restaurant. He really hasn't a clue but looks at his colleagues for hints about what he is eating.

On last night's programme he actually commented that it was the best desert ever even though he didn't eat it! Just watched some nobody celeb orgasming over a doughnut.

Then Tom orgasmed, it was brilliant TV. My question to the wise on aH is how did this guy ever get on telly? The wine expert moniker is even funnier, I swear one of these days he is going to say a red is white - he is that clueless.

It is car crash telly watching this guy, totally fun but really what's the story! Fair play to him, nice bunts I'm sure.

You answered it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never seen that show, sounds like I'm missing something monumental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Food Critics on TV in general come across as the most pretentious sickeners.

As bad as the main critics are on the show, the normal people in the restaurant eating are even worse as they comment on the wine and each dish, nitpicking at the most minimal of things and giving really poor star ratings when they leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Never seen that show, sounds like I'm missing something monumental.

Ah tis great, Tom makes it though. I think Paulo has passed away , he's gone quiet. A bit like the bird in Ace Ventura.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Food Critics on TV in general come across as the most pretentious sickeners.

As bad as the main critics are on the show, the normal people in the restaurant eating are even worse as they comment on the wine and each dish, nitpicking at the most minimal of things and giving really poor star ratings when they leave.

There was a great couple of buffs there last night. Pure country in for the night but good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

God darnit, Mr. Doorley, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ah tis great, Tom makes it though. I think Paulo has passed away , he's gone quiet. A bit like the bird in Ace Ventura.

Courtney Cox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

valoren wrote: »
    I prefer Spoofer.

I prefer fluffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a bit of fun. Love the punters slating the food for their imagined wrongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

He was in a pub near me one Sunday for brunch, and called them over, told them who he was, and then told them his sausages were too hot, and sent it back. I mean what do they do about that? Put the brunch under a hot plate to keep warm while the sausages cool down to Tom Doorleys acceptable heat level for sausages. GTFO.

Just wanted a free fry up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That place does be full of bluffers who wouldn't know shít from the shovel t'was served on. Paulo Tullio is not entirely ignorant of the culinary arts, but it makes me want to throw things at the television when he's introduced as "our Italian food critic!". Is that right. I had an Italian car once, does this mean he's likely to calve about half-way through the meal while pissing fluid everywhere?

jimgoose wrote: »
    That place does be full of bluffers who wouldn't know shít from the shovel t'was served on. Paulo Tullio is not entirely ignorant of the culinary arts, but it makes me want to throw things at the television when he's introduced as "our Italian food critic!". Is that right. I had an Italian car once, does this mean he's likely to calve about half-way through the meal while pissing fluid everywhere?

Well he certainly looks a bit sheepish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

himself and the italian bluff... all they do is eat eat eat.. eat to live, or like them live to eat...

and they cant join obesity anon!!

DublinCJM wrote: »
    He was in a pub near me one Sunday for brunch, and called them over, told them who he was, and then told them his sausages were too hot, and sent it back. I mean what do they do about that? Put the brunch under a hot plate to keep warm while the sausages cool down to Tom Doorleys acceptable heat level for sausages. GTFO.

Just wanted a free fry up.

Tom is obviously working on his art so. Hot and cold were covered in last weeks class, next week sweet and sour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That show is appalling, typical low-rent TV3 rubbish. It's like an hour long advert for Aldi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

There was a great couple of buffs there last night. Pure country in for the night but good fun.

They were probably the easiest ones listen to.

• Advertisement

Aldi, yeah , the wine arrived in an Aldi box. Come on, Aldi sell cheap plonk that's fine if you're a ****ing pleb but serving that in a restaurant like the Wineport?
    Come to think of it Doorley wouldn't know the difference...either would I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jimgoose wrote: »

eh...Paulio Tullio is Italian though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Barstewards the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

The wine expert moniker is even funnier, I swear one of these days he is going to say a red is white - he is that clueless.

All wine experts are bluffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

murpho999 wrote: »
    eh...Paulio Tullio is Italian though.

I know that. What annoys me is the need to point it out, as if that meant something in the context of food criticism.

I just assumed he was there to critique the Italian food! I thought that was why he was so quiet as there wasn't any.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Aldi, yeah , the wine arrived in an Aldi box. Come on, Aldi sell cheap plonk that's fine if you're a ****ing pleb but serving that in a restaurant like the Wineport?
    Come to think of it Doorley wouldn't know the difference...either would I.

Aldi sponsor the show.

They don't do the "oooh I think this is a New World" bit with the wine any more maybe because they never get it right. Now, it seems the celeb has bottles send to their home from Aldi and they (or their rock star boyfirend if they are tee total) select a red and a white from those, then everyone gets a sniff on the way in. Unsure if it is actually served with the meals- must be right pish

As for Tom, did he and Brendan O'Connor have a fight?

Aldi sponsor the show. The don't do the "oooh I think this is a New World" bit with the wine any more maybe because they never get it right. The celeb has bottles send to their home and they or the'r rock star boyfirend) if they are tee total) select the wines, then everyone gets a sniff on the way in. unsure if it is actually served with the meals- must be right pish

Yeah I saw that last night. I used to enjoy Doorley making a fool of himself with the wine but it just got embarrassing. The Aldi stuff is probably unrecognisable anyway - like turps with burps.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Tom Doorley - food critic, wine expert, bluffer

In summary - a chancer. I mean what adult actually needs somebody to tell them what is and isn't nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I just assumed he was there to critique the Italian food! I thought that was why he was so quiet as there wasn't any.

AFAIK he is recoveriing or being treated for Cancer. So he may not be himself.

I've heard him talking before on Sean Moncrieff show on Newstalk (Who happens to narrate "The Restaurant") and he's very entertaining and interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

murpho999 wrote: »
    AFAIK he is recoveriing or being treated for Cancer. So he may not be himself.

I've heard him talking before on Sean Moncrieff show on Newstalk (Who happens to narrate "The Restaurant") and he's very entertaining and interesting.

Jaysus, he had dodgy kidneys over on the tv forum last night. get well soon either way

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Tom Doorley is bad.
    But Marco Pierre White is the most odius person I have ever seen on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Putin wrote: »
    In summary - a chancer. I mean what adult actually needs somebody to tell them what is and isn't nice.

Amen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Didn't tom Doorley already get caught out on Ray D'arcys radio show? they had a taste test and ray gave him the same one twice, then called him out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Tom Doorley flute player with Danu woo hoo.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
Advertisement